nine

Alive

A woman walked into her car; blowing air as the sign of relief because her shift was finally ended. She slipped her hand on her purse, churning the inside of it as she could not find her car key. She let out a small groan because she though she left it inside her office. She turned her body—planning to get her key from the said room. But, she stopped; she spotted a familiar guy with a smile on his face.

“I believe this is yours.” Her car key was hanging in between the man’s fingers. He bowed a little, “Boa.”

The guy—that turned out to be her colleague— stepped closer to her, throwing the key for her to catch.

“Bogum? I thought you when home early.”

The guy scratched his nape; chuckling.

“Yeah, I forgot something.”

Boa smiled at him, the said colleague was the kindest guy she ever met. He was loved by most of his students because of his charm, and kindness. She wanted to ask what did he forget, until something stopped her. Something that she did not expect would happen so soon. Her eyes were wide open as she witnessed the charming smile of the man in front of her turned into a smirk while she felt a silver blade—not any silver blade, it was covered in wolfs-bane—was going through her skin. Her body fell onto the ground. She saw a guy walked beside her colleague—a boy to be exact.

“That.” Bogum said. He squeezed the boy’s shoulder. “Good job, Sehun.”

Boa felt her vision was starting to get blurry.

“Kill the alpha, and then,” Bogum squat down to see the helpless werewolf. “You’ve earned your way to the betas.”

----

“Kill the alpha, and then, you’ve earned your way to the betas.”

Seulgi had woken up as she felt suffocated, she let out a loud gasp. Her heart was racing, she felt dizzy as the sound of her phone was much louder than it had to be. She reached for the small device. Joy’s name was written on it. And it was exactly midnight.

“Hello?”

“Seulgi, we need you at the house. Now!”

Seulgi did not have a chance to ask. But she knew something was not right. She grabbed her stuffs and rushed to the house.

---

Seulgi dropped her bag, gaining her pack’s attention. They were all have the same expression on their face.

Lost.

Seulgi did not have the connection with Boa as the others did; but at that moment, tears were falling from her eyes. Small memories of Boa were playing inside her head. From when she first met her, the way Boa helped her to go through so many full moons, even the time when the woman scolded her in school. She found herself experiencing a great loss; hugging the alpha’s lifeless body. Seulgi shook Boa’s body; screaming for the alpha to wake up. The other three were trying to pull her away.

“Who did this?!” Seulgi snapped.

“We don’t know.” Jisoo said. “Whoever did this, this definitely is not their first time.”

“Hunter.” Yeri said.

Seulgi stared at Boa’s body. Anger was reflected on both of her glowing eyes. Her claws were growing, so did her fangs. She howled and rushed outside the house, it made Jisoo and the others panicked, they were alarmed that Seulgi had lost her control. They shifted and ran after Seulgi.

“Dammit, Seulgi!” Joy growled.

“I called Wendy. She said she’ll be here in a few minutes.” Jisoo said.

After a short ten minutes, Wendy appeared. She looked just as worried as the others.

“Seulgi could be anywhere by now. She has no control and let’s hope that she hasn’t hurt anyone. Now, let’s split up.” Jisoo commanded.

They split up immediately, going to places Seulgi might visited in her werewolf state.

---

Seulgi fell on her knees, her fangs and claws were starting to disappear. Her eyes stopped glowing. She cried again; her hand formed a fist as she hit the ground.

“Guys, I found her.” Seulgi heard Jisoo said. “She’s at the place when we first found her.”

She heard a pause from Jisoo.

“Yes. The cliff.”

Seulgi turned her head lightly, she saw Jisoo was walking towards her; hand touched her shoulder.

“I don’t know why I came here.”

Seulgi chuckled in between her tears. Jisoo knew that she did not need to say anything, so she crouched down and wrapped her arms tightly around Seulgi’s figure as the latter cried louder.

---

The school was quite. Losing a teacher seemed new to them; anyone, in fact. It wasn’t just a normal stormy day to them. They were grieving.

Seulgi looked around her, she could see that most of the students had the same sad expression on their faces. Seulgi got it, because Boa was everyone’s favourite teacher. Joy suddenly got up, gaining Seulgi and the others’ attention.

“I can’t be in here. I can’t do this.” The taller said; grabbing her stuffs and walked away to leave the school. It was before Jisoo grabbed her wrist.

“Let me go, Jisoo.”

Jisoo made the gap between them smaller, she looked around as she was speaking in low voice.

“You can’t be like this, Joy. We all missed her, but you can’t just runaway from everything. We-“

“Yes, I can!” Joy shouted, she pulled her hand off Jisoo. Everyone in the cafeteria was looking at them. Joy scoffed.

“She meant so much to me—to us. Our alpha; she just died and suddenly you’re acting like you’re the new alpha. Jisoo, being bitten first doesn’t make you the next alpha.” Joy jabbed her finger on Jisoo’s chest, pushing the girl away. “And I’m outta here.”

“Joy, that’s not what I meant!” Jisoo tried to go after Joy, but Yeri held her.

“She needs some times alone.” The youngest said. The students were turning their attention back to whatever they were doing.

Little did they know, a few pair of eyes were still staring at the pack.

One of those were belong to Jennie Kim.

---

Seulgi was washing her face in the school bathroom, she needed something to freshen her up until she saw Jennie came out from one of the cubicle and went next to Seulgi to wash her hand. They gave each other a tiny smile as Seulgi was going to leave the bathroom.

“It’s sad that you lost your alpha. I’m so sorry, Seulgi.”

Seulgi did not waste her time, she chocked Jennie and pinned her against the wall. She could see Jennie was smirking.

“Control your anger, little beta.”

“How did you know?!”

Her grip around Jennie’s neck was tighter than before.

“Relax, Seulgi.” Jennie held Seulgi hand that was gripping her neck while chuckling.

Seulgi’s eyes were glowing.

“Wow, they are right.” Jennie smirked, “you really have an anger management issue.”

“I’m not playing, Jennie!”

Jennie’s eyes glowed; as green as an emerald stone. She escaped Seulgi’s grip easily. She twisted Seulgi’s arm as the latter fell to the ground. A groan escaped Seulgi’s mouth. She asked,

“What are you?”

Jennie squat down, her green glowing eyes met Seulgi’s. Instead of answering her question, she threw another question to Seulgi.

“Have you heard of the Nagual?”

---