thirty-two

Alive

Wendy was rushing back to her house, the look on her face did not look good at all. As she was finally saw her front door, she slammed herself against it; making the door flung open. gapped open as she saw a lot of vampires were gathering in circle, and among them…she saw her parents. She ran to them and hugged both vampires as tight as she could.

 

“I thought- I thought it was you! I really thought you were gone!” Wendy did not know she had an ability to cry until she felt how wet her mother’s shirt was.

 

“Sshh…Hey, we’re here.” Her father said.

 

“But, unfortunately, we had lost our beloved brother and sister.” Eoghan settled back onto her seat. Wendy and her mother did the same.
 

“The hunters, they are planning to eliminate each one of supernatural creatures. And from what we’ve witnessed, I think they really know what they are doing.” A very old-looking vampire said. Wendy gulped as his voice sounded so crooked, and she was sure that those blood red eyes would hunt her forever. She assumed that the old man was one of the elders of the vampire.

 

“And we do, too.” Eoghan glanced at Wendy and gave his daughter a quick smile. “We’re going to fight them all, with the help of every supernatural creature we can find. Werewolf, banshee, the nagual, and everyone else.”

 

The old vampire hummed, “but, how are we going to find them all?”

 

“Don’t you worry, Draco.” Wendy’s mother said as she patted her daughter’s back. “My daughter knows where to find them.”

 

“Oh, really?” Draco said. “You know where to find an alpha?”

 

Wendy nodded, encouraging herself to look at the creepy old man in the eye.

 

“Not just any alpha,

 

“…but a pure-alpha.”

 

 

“Kang Seulgi!” Seulgi’s mother bragged into the alpha’s room as she was now attacking Seulgi’s covered with a newspaper.

 

“Ouch! Mom!” Seulgi whined. “Five more minutes!”

 

Her mother sighed and closed the door behind her.

 

“I don’t understand how everything changed but not your sleeping habit.”

 

Seulgi peeked through her blanket.

 

“Sleep is important for all creatures, Mom.”

 

“Yes, and you have overdone it.” Her mother pulled her legs off the bed. “You’ve promised me that you’ll go to this trip with me.”

 

“Also, Irene and her mother are waiting downstairs. So, you better get your downstairs in fifteen minutes.” Her mother opened the door.

 

Seulgi jolted awake.

 

“Irene who?”

 

A girl peeked from behind Seulgi’s mother back, revealing her wide adorable eyes Seulgi was in love with.

 

“Irene Bae of course!” She said and chuckled with Seulgi’s mother. Irene gave the middle-aged lady a small nod before she disappeared behind the door. Irene walked towards Seulgi’s bed and pulled the girl’s arm; making her got separated with her bed. It was a bit dramatic, really. Irene shook her head; she couldn’t believe that Seulgi loved her bed more than she loved her. The werewolf was now lying on the floor.

 

“Get up, Seulgi! Our mothers are waiting downstairs!”

 

“It’s too early, I want to cry.” Seulgi mumbled against the floor.

 

Irene flipped Seulgi’s body like she flipped a dying fish. Seulgi did not expect the girl to sit on her abdomen so she widened her eyes. It was even wider when Irene decided to give her a kiss.

 

“What are you doing? I haven’t brushed my teeth yet.” Seulgi said.

 

“Do I look like I care?” She said and slammed their lips together again. Everything was blurry but one thing Seulgi knew after that was that she ended up in the shower.

 

 

“It’s nice to have a girls’ day, isn’t it?” Irene’s mother teasingly looked at Seulgi and Irene who were sitting at the back of the car through the rear-view mirror. Both mothers caught them a few times holding hands and then they would tease the hell out of the teenagers, as they were now ended up sitting on each end on the seat.

 

“We’re here.” Seulgi’s mother said.

 

Seulgi stepped down the car and inhaled the fresh air of Firvale town. A small town that was located not too far from Baxley, they only needed about two hours drive to get there. Seulgi remembered that they went here quite often when she was a kid, she remembered when they were running around and she always fell down because Seulgi did not have a good sense of balance and how Irene was always there to help her; telling her that it was okay as she wiped her tears.

 

“What’s on your mind?” Irene asked, she wrapped her arms around Seulgi’s waist as she was resting her head on the werewolf’s well-built back.

 

“You.” Seulgi simply answered, because it was true.

 

“Who taught you to be that greasy?” Irene pinched Seulgi’s side.

 

“Ouch! It’s true!” Seulgi whined.

 

“Fine, fine! Let’s go inside the house, it’s dinner time.” Irene pulled Seulgi’s hand inside the house.

 

 

Seulgi had Irene inside her arms. The kitsune was sleeping peacefully; it was a very adorable sight for Seulgi. Even the moon agreed with her as its light went through the little gap from the blind.

 

The moon.

 

It was full moon.

 

And from the high place like Firvale, she could see it clearly.

 

She could feel it.

 

Seulgi carefully let Irene go from her arms; not wanting to wake the girl up. She reached for her hoodie that was hanging on the door.

 

Seulgi?”

 

Ah, snap.

 

Seulgi sat on the bed.

 

“Hey,” She said, brushing Irene’s hair with her hand. “Go back to sleep, Joohyun.”

 

Irene whined.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Just a little walk outside.” Seulgi pinched Irene’s cheeks.

 

“Wait,” Irene said. “I’m coming with you.” Irene suddenly got off the bed and took her jacket with her.

 

“What?” Seulgi chuckled.

 

“Yeah, well, who knows you are actually planning to cheat on me.” Irene linked her arms around Seulgi’s.

 

“Really?” Seulgi asked.

 

“Really.” Irene quietly laughed, she grabbed her sword. “Just in case.” She said as they walked outside.

 

 

They were standing on the edge of the highest cliff, Irene was staring at the moon.

 

“Here we are. Under different circumstances.” She smiled sadly at Seulgi. The werewolf hugged her and pecked her forehead.

 

“I’m sorry, Seulgi.” Irene mumbled.

 

“It’s okay now.” She said; soothing the kitsune.

 

“It’s full-moon tonight,” Irene looked at the moon and then Seulgi. “Is that still bothering you?”

 

They were now sitting on the grass, just quietly enjoying the night.

 

“Not really,” Seulgi said.

 

Because you’re here.

 

She thought.

 

Seulgi’s eyes turned red, but that night, it was more than usual. She could feel the power inside her body. Irene scooted closer, resting her head on Seulgi’s shoulder as the wind was starting to make her feel sleepy.

They were just enjoying the view when suddenly a gunshot. Thank the Lord of Seulgi’s quick reflect, she pulled Irene below her as they were now lying on the ground.

 

“Hunters.” Said the both of them.

 

As they recovered, they moved fast—chasing the hunters into the woods with Seulgi tracing the smell and emotion.

 

“Do you think we lost him?” Irene asked, she was all ready with her sword out. Seulgi stopped from answering as her nose caught a scent. Her eyes, once again, are glowing red. She pulled someone from the bush. And he was holding two guns. As if he did not look scared enough of Seulgi. The werewolf just had to roar in front of his face.

Irene noticed that Seulgi had a pair of extra fangs and her claws look different than usual. It looked…stronger.

 

“Seulgi!” Irene tried to call Seulgi but the alpha didn’t budge. She was now pinned the hunter against the tree as impaling his abdomen with her other hand. Irene thought she needed to move before Seulgi killed the man. So, she did what she had to do. She pulled her sword under the werewolf’s throat. Her eyes changed to grey.

 

“Kang Seulgi, stop!”

 

Seulgi lifted her claws up as she wanted to tear the hunter’s face off, but she managed to hit the side of his head which was the tree. She was breathing heavily when she looked at Irene. The kitsune sighed in relief.

But, then she slammed the hunter’s body against the tree again.

 

“Who’s your superior?!” She asked.

 

The hunter quickly reached something from his pocket and put it inside his mouth, Seulgi let him go as he was now having convulsions. It felt like a long one minute before he stopped.

 

He was dead.

 

Irene caught the scent.

 

“Cyanide.” She said.

 

Seulgi walked backwards, her back hit the tree as she was staring at the hunter’s body.

 

“I could’ve saved him.” She said.

 

Irene ran to her and hugged her, patting the werewolf’s back gently.

 

“It’s okay, Seulgi. It’s okay.”

 

Seulgi did not know when, but she had her face buried on Irene’s shoulder as she cried that night.

 

---