thirty-one

Alive

“Mass murder. The whole family died. From grandparents to the grandchildren.” Joy slammed the newspaper on Seulgi and Soojung’s desk as soon as everybody else left the class for lunch. She made an eye contact with Irene who was just arrived with two boxes of sandwiches on her hands, they both looked away and Irene quickly handed one to Seulgi.

Joy cleared , “as I was saying, it wasn’t a normal case because that family—the entire family were all werewolves.”

Seulgi just quietly munched on her sandwich; Joy noticed that Seulgi did not quite catch what she was saying, so she made it clear.

“We could be next.” She said.

“I know.” Seulgi said. “I’ll figure something else.”

“Wait,” Jennie suddenly appeared with Jisoo, “you guys should see this new article.” She pulled her phone out from her pocket showing the news that was aired a few minutes ago. The picture was very graphic that the news had to blur some of it. It was a picture of a body—an old man’s body; his intestines were everywhere and he had a hole on his forehead.

“Notice anything?” Jennie zoomed into the picture—the man’s eyes to be exact. It showed that he was blind, but Seulgi and Joy took a really close look. They saw red outline around his pupils. He wasn’t blind.

“A wendigo?” Seulgi said.

“It appears that the hunters are not only targeting werewolves.” Jisoo said.

“…but the entire supernatural creatures.”

 

 

“Look at this one! It suits you!” A woman excitedly said as she was showing an expensive looking dress to her daughter.

“Mom, I’m supposed to be in school.” Her daughter said.

The woman chuckled, “you don’t need school, Yerim. If that means so much to you I can tell you father to buy the school.”

Yeri clicked her tongue.

“That’s not what I meant.” She quietly said.

“Forget school,” her mother handed her a few of the expensive dresses. “This dinner with your dad’s business partner is more important, it can provide us more money, and they have a son who’s your age, too!”

Yeri rolled her eyes and went to the fitting room to avoid her mother. As soon as she locked the door, she sat on the chair that was provided inside. She sighed; the werewolf looked into the mirror, her fingers were tracing her long brunette locks, and then went to the clothes she was wearing. All of those looked so…high-class.

“Yerim, honey? Are you done?”

She heard her mother on the other side of the changing room.

“Just a second, Mom.” She said as she proceeded to put on one of the dresses her mother gave to her.

One thing she realised, that she did not want all of these.

 

 

Sehun were standing in Bogum’s backyard. She was holding a gun and aimed to the beer bottle he had set up for practice and missed miserably. He groaned.

“That was close.”

He turned his body and saw Bogum in his complete hunting attire; he gave the teacher a deep bow.

“You’ve improved so much. Don’t be too hard on yourself.” Bogum took one of the gun and took down the beer bottle in one try. “After all…

“You killed an entire family of werewolf.”

Sehun curved a tiny smile on his lips.

“I need a getaway. I broke up with my girlfriend.”

Bogum chuckled.

“Ah young love.” He said.

“I don’t understand.” Sehun said. “I told her that what I’m doing is for the greater good. But, she turned her back at me as if I’m nothing.”

“Did you tell her what we’re doing?” Bogum’s tone went sharp.

“No! Of course not!” Sehun said. “Beside, she wouldn’t believe even if I told her what we’re hunting.”

Bogum smiled and patted Sehun’s back.

“There are plenty of s in the sea.” The teacher said before he went back inside the house.

 

 

Irene clenched her jaw as she was frustrated that she could not see anything. She was just walking towards her house after school, and unfortunately, Seulgi couldn’t come with her because she had to help Soojung with history, and Irene felt extremely tired that she decided to just go home. But, all of sudden, someone covered her head with some kind of sack. And now, she was tied up on—she assumed—a wooden chair.

“Let me go!” She shouted.

Someone removed the fabric from her head. Irene gasped.

“Joy?! Wendy?! What the hell?!” She said while trying to remove herself from the chair, that was went she noticed that she was chained—literally.

“We just want to talk! Calm down!” Joy said.

“If you want to talk about the changing room, you guys could just ask!” Irene said.

Joy and Wendy looked at each other.

“Good point.” Joy said, she was about to untie Irene when the kitsune eyes changed as she freed herself. She threw the vampire and the werewolf a piercing glare.

“That glare is scary enough with her normal eyes, but this is scarier.” Wendy whisperer to Joy.

“What the hell?!” Irene asked as she was back to her normal self. She then stomped her foot against the floor. She was so frustrated, and tired. She just wanted to go home. Poor Joy and Wendy, they were cornered against the wall. Who knew Irene could be scary when she was grumpy.

“Take me home.”

Irene’s cold tone sent shivers to the couple’s spine.

O..kay.” Joy said. “But, you won’t tell Seulgi, right?”

Irene sighed.

“First of all, why didn’t you tell her? This is not a big deal! You guys are couple! So what?”

“It’s more complicated than that, and as you know…Seulgi has a lot on her plate already. It’s silly but we just want to give her some times because this is hard to proceed.” Wendy explained.

“Very well,” Irene said. “Now take me home!”

“Yes!” Joy and Wendy ended up saluting her.

 

---

 

“Please!” A man pleaded as he was hiding his wife behind him. “Take me, don’t hurt her!”

Aww.” Sehun said, faking his sympathy. “I’ll do that after I killed her.”

He aimed his shotgun to the wife, and shot her in the head without a warning. The man screamed as he hugged the wife’s body that was slowly turning into ashes.

Sehun chuckled.

“I must say…I’m disappointed. I thought vampires are cold-blooded killers. Look at you, crying over your woman.” Sehun spat. “Pathetic.”

“We’ve never hurt humans for centuries!” The man said, he looked at his wife’s ashes. “She was the only one I have in this world.”

“Then you should go after her.” Sehun laughed. “I’ll do you a favour and send you to…wherever you monsters go when you’re dead. I don’t care.”

The man closed his eyes. A loud bang was heard as he turned into ashes.

---

 

*wendigo: a shapeshifter that has humans as their main source of food. eye colour: white, red outline. teeth are all fangs.