Yeonjung x Jaehwan

PRODUCE SERIES One-shot Collections

 

!!! lower case intended !!! 

~ in which yeonjung and jaehwan have been sworn enemies but their hate for each somehow manages to become something more ~

Is there a different sorry for simple and complicated situations? Whether it's a simple or complicated problem, if you think you've done something wrong, then in the end you'd say sorry either way.

italics - jaehwan 

bold italics - yeonjung

* * * 

 

"i'm better than you, jaehwan"

"no you're not." the young jaehwan scoffed at the young yeonjung. 

"of course i am. and i can prove it."

"really? because with all the singing contests we both have joined so far, it's either i'm first and you're second or i'm second and you didn't place. yet you tell me you're better than me? what a shame you'll always be ms. rank two next to me, yeonjung. you should pity yourself. is that really all you can do?" 

 

from afar, both jaehwan and yeonjung's parents liked the friendly competition between the two kids. 

"well, would you look at our kids. they both have been so competitive with each other when what i wanted to happen was for them to be friends." yeonjung's mother spoke

"eh-- they'll grow out of it someday." yeonjung's father replied

"of course they would! ah, i remember me and jaehwan's mom back when we were still in our teen years. we were the same as the two!"

 

"but i'm better at you when it comes to other things, oppa!" yeonjung said whilst stomping her feet in doing so. 

"really? what's the highest grade you ever got?"

"i got an A and i got third in the overall ranking during the exams! how about you, huh? oppa, your eomma has told me you never got a grade higher than A!" she stuck her tongue out in hopes that her oppa, for once, lost to her. of course luck wasn't on her side since the corners of jaehwan's mouth lifted up into a sly smile.

"well, for your information, i got an A+ and ranked first in exams. it to be you, yeonjung doesnt it?" 

"oppa, don't say bad words! they're.... bad." 

"yeonjung-saeng, you still have a lot to learn. talk to me again when you think you can already beat me." 

having said that, the young jaehwan felt absolutely no remorse in him. what's a kid got to do? they have nothing else to brag about but their hardheadedness and pride. the other kid, yeonjung, felt everything that can be felt. being a seven year old kid and never having been placed as first or winning against her oppa, it felt like a strong blow to her confidence. there was nothing she could do but cry. and so she did. she ran back to where her parents were seated at and wept into her father's shoulders. both families bid each other their goodbyes and decided that it was time for them to go home and get some rest as they have got a busy day tomorrow. 

ever since that day, yeonjung swore to herself to do better and better, til then, that night there was no other thing on her mind other than sleep.

 

time skip

"yah, girls we should join!!" yeonjung wholeheartedly said. it has been her lifelong dream to become an idol but fate and luck both just were not on her side. also, this would just prove that she was a hundred times better than her jaehwan-oppa. 

where have jaehwan-oppa possibly could be? she thought to herself. a lot of years passed since she last saw of him. she was no longer ms.rank two. and to prove it, she has her medals from different contests that she joined and that she couldn't wait to shove her hardwork in his sorry-face. last she heard of him was he was working in a cafe somewhere, but not that she had any interest in him or whatsoever-- not even an ounce of liking for his existence-- she could care less. she hated him to his very core. what's on her mind now is that she debut and fulfill her dreams of becoming a known idol.

"i don't know yeonjung. we've been practicing for many, many months but there doesn't seem to be any progress at all?" taeha said 

"there's nothing wrong with trying right? and this could be the exposure we need! come on! please?" yeonjung said. 

the other two girls could do nothing but say yes. the three of them practiced to the best that they could and hoped that all their efforts wouldn't go to waste. yeonjung and taeha got placed into B while chae-eun was in C. not bad, right? 

the day of the re-evalutation came and yeonjung got placed to A, taeha to D and chae-eun to F. yeonjung couldn't feel happy that time since she felt the need to comfort her friends first. she could always celebrate later. 

days turned to weeks, to months, and before they knew it, it was already the finals. 

to cut the chase, yeonjung could finally say, that for once, everything turned out perfect.  

 

 

"so she's famous now huh?" jaehwan said to his father which sent him a nod in return.

"yes, she is. now when are you going to be famous like her?" 

"i don't know, appa. i'm too busy working at the cafe. but don't worry your heart. i'll practice and practice and practice!" he assured his father, or more like he assured himself.

you see, jaehwan never really grew out of his 'immature' phase. he's still the same bully he was to yeonjung back then. he still hates losing, he hates losing to her the most. 

what can he do? jaehwan already lost the game of love, what more could he be bragging of? 

there was no time of the day wherein he wasn't thinking of her. he even referred to himself as a missing sheep finding his missing half. the more he thought of her, the more he indulges himself with music and the want of being an idol himself. he wasn't gonna lose to yeonjung. jaehwan was confident that he was better than her in all aspects. he is smart, he can sing, he can rap, he can dance-- well not really dance but you know what he means. so me made it a promise to join the next season of the survival show Produce 101. 

 

A/N: jaehwan's thoughts on the right, yeonjung on the left!!

 

 

jaehwan couldn't believe it himself.

yeonjung couldn't believe it herself.

 

 

jaehwan was still his sly self. the one that was so narcissistic to yeonjung. how did she ever have a crush for this boy when they were kids? she didn't know the answer to that. yeonjung was still her easily-pissed-off-self. how jaehwan ever fell for this girl? he didn't know. 

 

 

what yeonjung wanted to hear was the 5-letter word. 

should he say, 'hi', was

what was running around 

jaehwan's head, the word was lingering on his mouth,

it was hanging on his tongue and yet he found no courage

to say what he wanted to say. 

 

 

just say you're sorry. and we'll both be fine. 

hi. how are you?

i see you finally have something

to brag about since you debuted and won.

 

 

at least you've grown out of your ugly face

and you're very talented now. i still hate your guts, though

 

didn't expect you to be growing

into a beautiful woman. remember your buck-teeth

days?  remember your 'tomboy' phase? remember

when you were always ms. rank two next to me? 

don't worry you still are.

 

 

i see you're still the same 

annoying piece of garbage you were.

but you have a nice voice !! who am i kidding?

you always did have a nice voice. 

don't smile at me, you little girl.

don't look my way. don't turn

your-- oh, you did. should i wave at you?

 

why did you turn your head?!?

should i wave at you? 

 

both of them were staring at each other. they both acknowledge the fact the it was indeed an awkward atmosphere

between the two of them. they left things off on an awkward note. 

yeonjung still had issues about her confidence whereas 

jaehwan had lots and lots of them.

 

* insert aggressive heart thumping here and there *

 

jaehwan could feel his palms sweating from under his coat. there were beads of sweat forming on his forehead. what was he exactly scared of, anyways? it's not like yeonjung was there to eat him alive, right? for all he knew and cared about, yeonjung was his sworn enemy. But what was this feeling? 

 

T H E  E N D 

 

a/n: sorry for the way it's written :( i can't feel anything at all with what i've written. also, this is lowercase intended since i am kind of busy at the moment to write it with proper capitalization, and punctuation and all since midterms are only a week away! i'm also in the middle of my hell week with school where all my schedules and practices are clashing so please bear with me!! i'm sorry for any grammatical or typos here and there, but i'll be sure to comeback with a much more nicer update that will surely kill you with so much feels... hehez am i promising too much? also comment if you want a part two of this!! 

another reason why this is written the way it is written, i'm trying this new thing called being "aesthetic", just kidding :( this may seem a bit epistolary-ish just like the ones you read on wattpad because they have been my slight obsession these days!! if you have wattpad or twitter or any other fangirling accounts, hit me up and let's be friends. 

 

p.s: anybody else got the feeling of the anime special a from this chapter? huehuehue

p.p.s: if you're still in school and reading this, dON'T PROCrASTINATE!!! 

p.p.p.s: please read Chapter 25 as it is an important notice!! 

p.p.p.p.s: have a great day :) 

- kingeuigeon