His Cold Mask

Oppas' Little Girl

The day before Sungjong would enter his new class, he laid on his bed and stared at the blank ceiling above him. He would be going to school tomorrow in a different classroom with IU. He didn't understand why he was so nervous. Usually everything would go easy and he would be the happy-go-lucky boy, but his hands felt clammy and he continued to wonder what would happen tomorrow.

However, his thoughts were mainly on what IU would think of him tomorrow.

He groaned, and gripped his head with his sweaty hands. This is bad, he thought. I can't go to school like this. I mean, this is ridiculous! Why would I be so scared to meet my new classmates? Everything will be fine.

 

The next morning, the boys found themselves staring at the maknae's huge purple panda eyes. Dongwoo gave Sungjong a little poke, but received a cold glare in return. Sunggyu quickly walked up to Sungjong and placed his hand over Sungjong's forehead to make sure that the boy wasn't sick. Sungjong scowled and pushed away Sunggyu's hand and plopped down on a random seat.

"Um…Sungjong-ah, are you okay?" Hoya asked quietly.

"I'm fine."

"Are you worried about what's going to happen today or something? You look like you didn't sleep a lot," Myungsoo mentioned.

"No, that's not it."

"Could it be that you're nervous about seeing IU later today in class?" Dongwoo asked in a teasing tone. Hoya's, Myungsoo's, and Sungyeol's eyes widened as everyone stared at Sungjong's pale face.

"That can't be true, right?" Sungyeol asked in a small voice. "Sungjong doesn't like noonas."

"That's right, that's right!" Hoya quickly agreed. "Sungjong doesn't like to fall in love with girls older than him!"

"Sh, sh! IU and Woohyun are coming down!" Sunggyu said in a low whisper. Everyone quickly changed the topic from Sungjong liking IU to bacon and eggs. IU was humming a tune as she skipped into the kitchen, while Woohyun followed behind her with his hair uncombed. Sunggyu almost dropped his tray of bacon and eggs as he stared at Woohyun's messy hair. "Woohyun! You didn't comb your hair!"

Woohyun gave Sunggyu a sleepy look. "Hm?"

Myungsoo scoffed and smirked. "Huh, look at him. He's half-asleep!"

"Mm…" Woohyun mumbled. He lazily pointed at IU, who had an innocent, bubbly expression on her face. "She's so annoying…"

"What did IU do to you this time?" Sungyeol asked as IU took her seat next to him. He slowly leaned his chair back a bit quietly, tempted to wrap his arm around her shoulder. However, he met Myungsoo's disapproving look, causing him to scowl and pull back as he quickly tried to finish his breakfast.

"Oh, not much," IU said. "I just woke him up at four in the morning."

"Really? I didn't hear a noise at all, and I woke up at three," Myungsoo said, blinking his eyes.

"Headphones," Woohyun said, pointing at his ears. Myungsoo cracked up a smile and so did the rest (except for Sungjong and Woohyun). Woohyun shot everyone a dark glare, causing their smiles to fade. "That's not funny. Nothing about this should be funny. I serious vote for her to kick her out of this mansion."

Dongwoo was about to protest until Sungjong interrupted him. "I agree. Let's just leave her at another nearby house or something."

Silence filled the kitchen as they stared at the little boy. Sungjong ignored the rest and finished his last bacon strip. IU, too, stared at Sungjong with large, shocked eyes. As Sungjong got up, he dumped his plate into the sink and grabbed his backpack.

"I'll be going first," Sungjong said. "Good bye."

Everyone snapped out of their private thoughts once they heard a loud slam at the entrance door. No one dared to speak a word, and they all exchanged strange looks. Finally, Woohyun slowly clapped his hands with his lips slightly parted.

"Lady and gentlemen, Sungjong and I have just created an anti-IU club! Wow, and who would've thoguht that someone would also hate IU as much as I do? Man, this has to be the best day ever after being woken up at three with music blasting in my ear. Gosh, I have to celebrate or something. Who wants to join me and Sungjong later tonight?" Woohyun asked, pride building up in him. He earned a smack on the back of the head by Myungsoo, who gave him a bitter look. Woohyun rolled his eyes and stared at IU's teary look.

"IU…" Hoya started, but IU quickly got up. She looked at everyone and smiled.

"I'm fine, don't worry. I'm sure he has his reasons. M-Maybe he's just in a bad mood or something, right?" IU said with hopeful eyes. Dongwoo was just about to tell the truth until Myungsoo stepped in.

"Yeah, you're probably right. He had panda eyes today, too. He's probably grumpy that he didn't have enough sleep," Myungsoo agreed. Dongwoo gave him a, "What-are-you-saying?" look, but Myungsoo ignored him. IU forced a smile, and grabbed her backpack.

She was able to leave the kitchen until Sungyeol said, "Wait, IU! Aren't you going to eat your breakfast?"

IU turnd back at him and faked a smile. "Nah, I'm good. I'll eat something later if I get hungry."

"But you should still eat something," Hoya mumbled, not looking into IU's eyes.

"Ooh! Free bacon!" Dongwoo cheered, reaching to grab the bacon. IU just laughed and shook her head as she left the house. When she was gone, everyone began to chatter and whisper about the incident that just happened. Something was definitely wrong with Sungjong.

They just needed to know why.