Chapter 22: Fireplace

Who Are You? [TaeTen]

Dark living room. That's all there is to it. No lights but the lights coming from the outside. 

He sat in there in the couch as he tap his cigarette with his fingers on the ashtray. The sound of the clock is the only thing present. 

He's deep in his thoughts, waiting. Waiting for someone to come. "Where are you?"

He held a glass of Champagne on his other hand as he drink it minute by minute. Drinking it with ease.

He looked at his watch and there he saw . "It's already 10 o' clock."

---------

"Thank you so much for today." Ten said to the older. He's hugging his bouquet and his white bear with him as he grinned.

"Glad you had fun." Taeyong hold Ten's head and kissed it. "Goodnight my Tennie."

"Goodnight Taeyongie. It's already late so be back home safe." Ten hugged the older. " I'll text you." 

Taeyong hummed in response and went on his way. He bid goodbye and mouthing I love you's to Ten and the younger did the same.

Ten smiled as his face flushed red. He then turned his head to the gate of his house and opened it with his key coming from his pocket. He made his way inside to see the darkness.

No lights means Jeno is fast asleep. His cute little brother must be waiting for him but tonight may be not? He knows too well that Jeno waits for him when he gets home late but tonight's different.

He feels something is different but he tried to convince himself that there's nothing wrong.

He entered through the door and one thing welcomed him. A smoke coming from the living room. 

He covered his nose with his hand to stop himself from further inhaling it.

He gulped as he saw a familiar figure sitting on the couch. He didnt expect him to be there. It's very unusual. He's suppose to be at work. 

The only movement he does is smoking and drinking from his glass of Champagne. 

Ten tried to be quiet as possible as he took a step on the stairs to his room. He makes sure that he doesn't make even a tiny sound as he climed. 

"Is that how you say goodnight to your brother?" He said , enough for the younger to hear. 

Ten stopped climbing up. He can't move knowing that he's been caught.

He heard a switch clicked that opened the standing lamp. 

He looked at the couch and there he saw that his brother is already looking at him, standing with his hands on his pocket.

It's dark and the only source of light is the lamp beside his brother. 

Ten felt scared as he saw his hyung smiling at him. His smile isn't the common smiles you'll see everyday.

He felt cold sweat flowing down from his head. "Hyung I-"

"Ten is such a good brother." His voice is too composed. "He always do his best in school to be able to come home this late."

"Ye-yeah." Ten uttered nervously. "Im-"

"Such a long project meeting I'll say." Kai continued. "So what do you have there? Mind if you come down?"

Ten nodded and went down from the stairs to face his brother. 

"Awww~" Kai approached the younger but he stepped back."You bought gifts for me?"

"No this is from-" Ten was interrupted.

"Let me see that." Kai grabbed Ten's bouquet and smelled it. "It smells nice Ten. Roses , you know my taste."

"Hyung that's not for you." Ten lowered his head in fear. He's so scared right now that he just wanted to cry. "Please give it back to me."

"If it's not for me then for who?" Kai asked as he hold Ten's chin, pulling it up. "Is it yours?"

Ten didn't respond. He can't look onto his hyung's dark eyes. Those dark orbs looks like a look coming from a killer.

"If it's not yours, might as well burn it." Kai turned his back on the younger and went to the fireplace. 

"Hyung!!! No! STOP!!" Ten cried. 

"It's been so long since I've opened it." Kai got the remote control from the table and switched it on. The fireplace started to lit, giving more light inside the room. 

"PLEASE STOP IT HYUNG!!!!" Ten cried, kneeling down begging for his older brother. He is hugging the white bear, Taeyong gave him, tightly within his arms. 

"Shhhhh." Kai putted his finger on his lips. "Lower it down or you'll wake Jeno upstairs."

"But hyung!" Ten begged. "Please stop."

"Stop what?" Kai asked the younger. "I don't know what you are talking about."

"Hyung, That's important to me." Ten can't take the idea of his bouquet ending up like that. Taeyong gave that to him and it's very precious. More precious than any gifts he had.

" You mean THIS?" Kai then throwed the bouquet of roses in the fireplace. He showed no mercy to the younger.

Ten's eyes widened as tears flows down from his eyes. He just watched the roses burn in the fire one by one. Ashes flowing out of the fireplace.

Taeyong gave those to him and it breaks his heart remembering those smiles coming from his boyfriend just to be burned effortlessly. 'Why?' That's the only question he can think of.

"Why?!" Ten shouted as he holded his chest. He can't accept the fact that his hyung can be harsh as this. "It was given to me!!! NOT YOURS!!!!"

"Why?" Kai kneeled down to align his position with Ten. "I'm just protecting you."

"FROM WHAT?!" Ten tighten his hug on his bear, protecting it from his hyung.

"Another one gift to go." Kai pulled the bear forcefully from Ten's grip. 

"Stop!!" Ten cried. "It's mine!!!" He fighted back that earned him a slap from the older. 

Kai then grabbed a handful of Ten's hair, pulling it up. He smirked at the younger as he looked at him from head to toe, watching him suffer.

"It hurts hyung." Ten uttered through his breath. "You're hurting me." He punched his hyung's chest but he's too strong to make him even stumble. 

"Hyung!!! What the hell are you doing?!" Jeno shouted coming from upstairs. 

"Jeno it's late " Kai said. "Why are you still awake?" He shifted his eyes from Ten to Jeno. 

"You're drunk!" Jeno shouted as he removed Kai's hand on Ten forcefully, letting Ten fell on Jeno's arms as his vision became hazy.

"Ten hyung!!" Jeno hugged him tightly to make him feel secured. "GET OUT NOW!! Please leave us ALONE!!"

"Jeno I'm sorry I-" Kai uttered 

"LEAVE!!!"

------

The Next Day:

Ten's currently laying on his bed having a high fever. His fever haven't lowered down since last night and Jeno is so worried about him.

He won't let go of his white bear that Jeno doesn't know where in the world he got it from. 

He still can't believe that his Kai hyung did that to his Ten hyung because he knows too well that he won't even lay a finger on him before. What happened? He was drunk but it doesn't mean that he can act like that all of the sudden.

He slept in Ten's room by laying a mattress beside his bed to watch over him. He keep in watch so he can assist his hyung easily for his needs.

Jeno checked his forehead and frowned. It's still hot and he putted a cold wet towel on him. 

He's having cold sweat. From the looks of it, he's having nightmares as he looked uneasy in his sleep. Ten hummed some words that's too unclear for the younger to understand.

"Ten Hyung. Please be alright."

------

"Ten"

"Mom?" I looked at her as tears fell down from my eyes.

"I'm sorry." She said laying down on her worn out bed. 

"Mom! Don't leave me!" I cried.

"It's okay." She putted her hand on my cheeks as she caressed it gently. "Ten no matter what happens, I'll be there to protect you."

"Don't say something like that!" 

"Ten please listen." She mumbled.

"No!!!" I cried.

"Here." She handed to me a small wooden box. "It's the only thing that I can give you. It's the only thing I have.

I opened it to see that it's full of earrings both silver and gold. "Why are you giving these earrings to me?"

"If you have those, you'll always remember that I'm with you." She smiled and gently closed her eyes. "I love you, my sweet Ten."

"Mom!!" I hugged her lifeless body. "Please don't leave me!!!"

-------

Ten woke up with his face full of sweat. He looked pale and tears started to form through his eyes. 

"Hyung!" Jeno went near as he carried a porridge and a glass of water with him. He then putted it on top of the nightstand. "Are you alright?"

"The earrings" Ten mumbled under his breath.

"What are you talking about?" Jeno asked as he swiped his hyung's face with a dry towel.

"I need those." Ten's eyes become teary. "Please give it to me." He begged as he hold Jeno's hand.

"Hyung, you know that your earrings has been confiscated right?" Jeno said as he tried to make his brother calm down. "It's with Kai hyung."

"I need it." Ten cried as he rised up from the bed only to be stopped by Jeno. "Please help me find it." He said weakly.

"Okay, I'll help you." Jeno layed his brother back to his bed. "Just rest first."

Ten nodded as he slowly fell back on his sleep. 

Jeno sighed in relief. "Glad you woke up already but-." 

He went out to Ten's room. He's concerned with his brother uttering something out of nowhere. "the Earrings?"

He knows that those earrings that he was talking about is from Ten's deceased mother. Ten told him before that that box is the only thing he has and considered it as a treasure guarding it with his life.

Jeno kept it with him for the past months that Ten was in a state of coma. He treasured it as if it was his own and later gave it back to its owner when he woke up.

Jeno told him that those earrings belong to him. He eventually told the whole story just for his hyung to understand. 

Even without any memories, his hyung has deep attachment to those earrings. It's must be connected to him.

Time to time Jeno noticed that his hyung began to have holes in his ears and he doesn't know where it came from. He then began to wear those earrings that are too many to count.

Kai noticed that and he confiscated it from him. Now it's with him.
His abusive brother.

Jeno went to his Kai hyung's room and tried to open it but it's locked. The only spare key that are available is his and Ten's. "Where is it?"

To be Continued:
Comments are Highly Appreciated. :)))))