Chapter 1

Destiny

 

“Good morning!”

“Jung Soojung! You better hurry up, you’ve got class in 30 mins!” replied Jessica, as she bit into her toast with scrambled eggs.

“Chill, unnie,” said Krystal. “We start late today since there’s a festival going on at uni. Aren’t you supposed to be making your way to the office? It’s 7.40.” Jessica glanced at the clock.

“Oh crap! I should’ve left by now!” said Jessica hurriedly. Grabbing her bag and coat, she ran towards the door, colliding into someone.

“Woahh, where’s the fire?” asked Doojoon, as he picked up the remaining pieces of toast, leaning over the counter to peck Krystal on the cheek.

“I’m late! LATE!”

“I thought your life motto was never run no matter how late you are.”

“Yeah, but that was before I was an intern and then got an actual job.” Jessica rushed out of the house, struggling to put on her shoes.

“Never thought I’d ever see your sister run.”

“Never thought she could cook, but hey she’s a whiz at making breakfast now.”

“It’s toast and scrambled eggs, Krystal.”

“Which you are currently eating dimwit.”

***

“Good morning, sir!” greeted Taeyeon, as Onew entered the office. Handing him a cup of coffee and a muffin, she followed him as he made his way to the office.

“Thanks, Taeyeon,” replied Onew, “And I thought I told you not to call me sir. Any news from the other side?”

“Sorry it’s a habit,” grinned Taeyeon, “And no, no news. But they’ve still got 2 days till they reach the final decision no?”

“You know how Jinki gets when the deadlines are nearing,” butted in Sunny. Kicking her shoes off, she flopped on to the sofa.

“Hey, Sunny! Nice shoes by the way,” replied Taeyeon.

“It’s a good thing those shoes are nice, the smell just reeks,” retorted Onew jokingly. A pillow smacked him on the back in reply.

“HEY! My feet don’t smell!”

“You’ve always had a problem with smelly feet.”

“Did not!”

“Did too. Oh correction, DO too!”

Chuckling at the childish banter, Taeyeon sorted the files out on Onew’s desk. “Right, I’m off. Onew, I’ll finalise these documents and email them to you this afternoon. Catch you guys later.”

“Bye, Taengoo! Don’t forget dinner at 7.30! You better turn up!” Sunny said sternly.

“Why, what’s happening at 7.30?” Onew curiously asked. Biting into his muffin, he sat next to Sunny.

“Ahh I’m playing matchmaker these days,” winked Sunny, “Figured Taeyeon and this guy would hit it off. I can feel that it will work out.  Want me to set you up?”

Silence filled the room. It wasn’t awkward nor was it comfortable. Onew continued chewing on the muffin. Sunny sighed. “Onew, it’s been 2 years.”

“I know,” said Onew quietly. 

***

No. It should be red. Hmm that doesn’t stand out as much as it does with yellow. Jessica bit on her lower lip as she scanned the racks for a blouse to match with the skirt. She pulled out a pale coral top. She passed it to the assistant. “Here try this, with a thin belt around the waist. Call me when the photographer is done.”

 “How do you manage to function without having lunch?” asked Sooyoung as she walked in, foot-long Subway sandwich in one hand and apple juice in the other.

Jessica laughed lightly. “I had lunch. I, however, am fine with eating a Burger King meal. Unlike you.”

 “This sandwich is gonna last me 2 hours,” sighed Sooyoung as she looked at the half-eaten sandwich, “And we have to work overtime today what with the fashion show coming up soon. I knew I should’ve brought my buffet ticket.”

 “I have an extra apple pie. Bought two just now and I’ve got some instant noodles in my desk drawer. Help yourself.”

 “Oh goody. Should last me till after work. So what ideas did you come up for the set?”

 “Since the line is all about colours, I figured something simple nothing too fancy so the clothes can really stand out but I don’t know what Jaekyung would say.”

 “Where is Key when you need him? He was the one that got so excited with the set.”

Kim Jaekyung walked in, carrying a pile of folders. She threw them on to the couch, heaving a sigh. Looking around at the girls, it was clear that she was not in a good mood.

 “Anything wrong, unnie?” asked Jessica, flipping through the folders Jaekyung brought in.

 “Anything wrong? Anything wrong?! Everything!” Jaekyung threw her hands up in the air. “I ordered the samples from the distributor a month ago, and they send me the wrong ones. Then they say they can only bring it on Thursday.”

 “Oh my God. But we were supposed to work on the last line this weekend though,” Sooyoung whined, taking a sip from her juice. “Fashion show is in 3 weeks!”

 “I’m so sorry, ladies. Looks like next weekend is gonna be hectic for us,” apologised Jaekyung. Usually newbies would be strained under the constant workload Jaekyung gave and quit. But these three she knew she could rely on. “Where’s Kibum?”

 “It’s Key! And I was over at Zara’s. New collection plus me equals BFFs.” Key peeked over Jessica’s shoulder. “Er, what the hell is this? Colours are horrifying!” Jessica and Sooyoung glared at Key, hinting at him to shut up. He ignored the laser eyes and continued, “I cannot work with such dreadful material.”

 “I am aware of that, Kibum, but unfortunately there was a slight miscommunication and we ended up with these,” Jaekyung answered calmly. “Well since we are without any materials, you guys can go off early. See you Monday.”

 “Bye!” the other three replied.

 “By the way are you two going to Sunny’s get-together tonight? Should be nice to catch up with the rest of the girls,” said Sooyoung. Key nodded in reply, fussing about with his newly bought items. “You should come. Sica, it’s been awhile since we’ve seen you have fun.”

 “Yeah, noona. You get dressed up and we’ll enter and totally steal the scene.”

Noticing the other two were waiting for her to answer, Jessica smiled. “I guess, I'll see you guys at 7.30.”

***