Thirty Seven

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time flies by faster when you’re busy with things, whether it’s work-related or anything else.

In this case, it was work-related. It has been exactly two weeks now since the last time Byulyi and I had a phone conversation. I don’t know if it was set up or not, but a day after that call where Byulyi claimed that she might be able to come back to Korea for Wendy’s wedding, Byulyi started to get really busy. I would say the same for myself but I still have spare time here and there, mainly because of my current position now at the company.

Byulyi though…she’s a different case.

She told me she’ll get even busier really soon and that she apologized in advance if at times she wouldn’t been able to check up on me or even read my texts. I understand and told her it was okay, that I’ll manage somehow but still I demanded her to at least send me a text, just so that I know that she’s doing well.

Now, I know that I said I understand her situation and that I’ll manage it somehow.

But you know how things are always easier said than done? Yeah, that saying was very true because I know right now, I’m struggling. The work and the amount of responsibilities given to me at work with my new position was quite stressing me out and at times I wished I can just go home and have a nice phone conversation with my fiancée. But alas, not only because Byulyi was getting busier, we also have the sickening time difference. So, the chance of that happening is pretty much none.

Every time I come home from work, Byulyi must be just starting her day and when Byulyi comes home, I would either be in the middle of getting ready to go to work or already at the office. It’s just harder to get the time and by now, I’ve given up thinking we would be able to find a perfect time.

But it’s not like I’ve given up on Byulyi or this relationship—god, no.

Even though it’s harder to communicate, we would still leave texts to each other and sometimes voice notes. I have the habit of leaving a voice note of me singing songs because one time Byulyi asked me to do it, she told me she misses listening to my singing voice and everyone knows how I can’t say no to her especially when she sounded like she missed me so much. Byulyi also promised that when she comes back to Korea or if I go to London, we would be visiting the karaoke like we used to back then. God, thinking about makes me want time to go by even faster but slows down when I finally meet her.

Now, we are used to each of our own work schedules. That even if I misses Byulyi so much, I can still bear it and go by my weeks at the office just fine. Byulyi seems to be doing good too, sometimes she missed a few lunch or breakfast but I kept on nagging her to not forget to eat and that I don’t want her to fall sick. Good thing Byulyi listens to me well.

Anyway, for two weeks have passed and now is the middle of the third week, that means Wendy’s wedding is just around the corner. It’s only in a few days’ time and Wendy have been taking a few days off as well to take care of her wedding. This is also one of the reasons why I got busier at work.

When I think about Wendy’s wedding, it reminds me of that particular phone call.

“—Don’t expect too much, okay?” That was what Byulyi told me, to not expect much which means she will at least try to come back to Korea. But the fact that I will see her again so soon couldn’t stop me from being excited and expecting for that day to happen.

Frankly, Byulyi and I never really brought up the topic again.

I think Byulyi was trying to avoid talking about it because she doesn’t want me to hope too much if she ends up not coming back for the wedding. I didn’t pry either, but it would be a lie if I say I didn’t think about it. The closer Wendy’s wedding day come, the more I couldn’t wait. It’s weird how it is Wendy who’s getting married yet I’m the one feeling very excited.

Wendy comes to work three days before her wedding because of an urgent matter that needs her presence at the office. She steals the little time to drop by my office and questioning me something that I’ve been wondering about too myself.

“How was the preparation?” I managed to threw the question first.

Wendy sighs but with a smile as she plops down the sofa across my desk. “Well, for the past week we did the fitting, the cake tasting, the catering, concept and well, everything already. Eunji said she wanted everything to be ready at least three days before the wedding since she still has a few things to take care at the agency.”

“Right, I almost forgot she is an actress and is very famous. Are you nervous though?”

“Am I nervous?” My eyes went wide when suddenly Wendy lets out a loud laugh then wipes the corner of her eye. “Gosh, I don’t even know—I mean, I’m getting married… I am—” She runs her hand through her hair, sighing as she did so. I didn’t say anything, I figured she wasn’t even done talking yet. “Oh god, unnie… I’m getting married.” Her eyes met mine and all I could see was how surprised that look on her face looks like right now. It was as if she hasn’t realized that she is actually getting married in a few days now.

“Seungwan…” I started getting a bit worried, so I called her using her Korean name—which is very rare.

Wendy bites her lower lip, refusing to meet my gaze. “I don’t know, unnie… I was too busy to even think about being nervous.” She chuckles bitterly, “You know, at times I feel like this is too fast. We’re only dating for short period of time before she asked me to marry her and I don’t know why as we’re nearing the wedding day, I started to think it’s not a good decision. D, do you think we should’ve waited a little longer before getting married?”

To be completely honest, I was not expecting this at all.

Because Wendy has always seemed okay, she even looked happier when she started dating Eunji. I always think this decision of them getting married was the best decision they chosen. But seeing Wendy now… Doubting about getting married to Eunji. I honestly don’t know what to say.

“I… I don’t know but have you talked it out with Eunji?”

Wendy bites the corner of lower lip. “I don’t have the heart to let her know. She has taken such a huge step in proposing to me, she had put such a fight with her agency to allow her to get married with another woman—which is ironic seeing this is year 2019, I can’t believe this country still go against gay marriage—but you know… I don’t feel like putting another burden on her shoulders…”

God, of course Wendy wouldn’t tell Eunji about it. After all, Wendy is such a kind angel and she would try her best not to bother and burden anyone, especially her loved one. But really, there is not much I can do to help what she’s feeling at the moment. I sighed, stepping forward to hug her.

“You know that I’m never in your position so I wouldn’t know exactly what you’re thinking or feeling but whatever it is…” I pulled back to look at her face. “Just keep on doing what you feel right. If you feel it’s right then go for it. If you feel otherwise then stop. Never go halfway. For Eunji to go that far to ask you to marry her was a big and brave step… She could’ve lost her job because of it but she went for it anyway. If you tell her your reasons, I’m sure she’ll understand.”

Wendy looks at me and asks, “You think so?”

“Yeah, she’ll understand if you feel you’re not ready for this step.”

Wendy lets out a long sigh, not saying anything back and I let her take her time. It didn’t take long though when she looks at me again with a small smile—relieved smile. “Thank you, unnie.” She said.

I wave my hand to brush away what she said. “C’mon, I didn’t do anything much.”

“But you did enough and I really needed that. So, thank you.”

“Ugh, don’t get so sappy now. Come,” I move forward to engulf her in a hug, rubbing her back before pulling back. “Just make sure you have no regret in whatever decision you’re taking, okay?” Wendy nods, her smile grew bigger and more relaxed. I’m really glad that our short talk earlier helped her to think more clearly.

I thought Wendy was about to leave my room after, but she proved me wrong when she starts asking, “You’re coming with her, right?” Wendy asks, her tone sounded a little too careful, I noticed.

“Yes, if she’s able to come back here.” Wendy looks at me with a slightly apologetic eye. She knew how much I’ve been missing Byulyi and wished for me to come to her wedding with Byulyi. But at the same time, we both know we can’t be certain too.

“Does she really can’t take a few days off for you?”

“It’s not like she can’t… It’s like, if she decides to take a break now, that will possibly make her stay longer there because that means she has to postpone things. And I don’t know, I miss her so bad but I also don’t want her to stay longer in London…” I sigh, now I’m feeling a bit pissed at our bad situation. “Anyways, Byulyi did tell me she’ll see what she can do. She also told me to not expect much so yeah…”

“That’s too bad…”

I hum, “Yeah…”

“But unnie, in case she really can’t come… Do you already have someone in mind to be a temporary plus one?” I raised an eyebrow at her question. Someone to be a temporary plus one? Honestly, that thought never crossed my mind until she mentioned it just now.

I shake my head negatively. “Uh, no? If Byul really can’t come then I’ll just come alone.”

I see how Wendy shakes her head from side to side with a smile. “I’m really impressed you guys can take such a long-distance relationship. I’m not sure if I can handle the same situation as good as you guys do right now.”

“It’s not easy at all, trust me.”

“Oh, I trust you alright. I just don’t think I can handle it.” I give her a smile and she smiled back wider. “I hope she’s really can do something on my wedding day—not for me though, for you.” And then Wendy received a message on her phone, she excused herself because she’s supposed to leave work early today. We hugged and she left my room.

I was back to work not long after, I wanted to finish work before the work hour ends just so I can stop by Hyejin’s café since I promised I will stop by today after work. It’s been a while too, you know. Being so into my work, I nearly lost track of time and only realized when one of my co-workers knocked on my door and attempted to call my name, they didn’t get inside my room instead only peak their head in-between the gap. They were just going to go home and stopped by my room to say goodbye. But I didn’t hear them.

They noticed seeing me still focus and tapping my fingers on my keyboard, so they stepped inside for a bit.

“Miss Kim?” I finally heard the voice better.

It was Jisoo, my assistant. “Oh, what is it, Jisoo?”

“Um, nothing. I was just wondering if you’re working overtime and would like my help?”

“Huh?” I frowned, then my eyes fell to the small watch sitting on my table. It’s been thirty minutes since the work-hour ends. “God, I didn’t watch the time—!” I said nearly shouting, I frantically put all my things in my bag and forgot that Jisoo was still in my office, standing and watching me with an amused smile on her face. “Jisoo, right… Sorry, you’re going back too right?”

“Mmhm, yeah.”

“Great, let’s go down together.” And with that, we head down by the elevator to the first floor. We chatted for a bit and I asked Jisoo if she wants to hang out with me at Hyejin’s café for a bit, but unfortunately, she said she couldn’t. Because Jisoo told me that her ‘friend’ is going to pick her up again.

I told her “Wow, your friend is really nice. This is like, what, the nth time she picked you up from work? You guys may as well be dating already.” Of course, it was a joke. But I did emphasize the word ‘she’ just so Jisoo is able to tell that I know it’s a female friend. Also, I wasn’t kidding when I said her friend has been picking her up most of the time. Like, I knew it was the same person. You think it could be different people? No, it can’t be differen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter