Twenty One (Byul)

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Morning comes way too fast as if in a blink of an eye.

For the second time, Yongsun-unnie woke up earlier than me and she was already all prepared. I can smell her perfume from where she’s standing in front of the mirror of my wardrobe, it’s almost addicting.

I sat up on the bed, still under the blanket while rubbing my eyes and squinting them before glancing at my side when my hand made contact with shirt’s buttons. I recognized the shirt though, It’s mine. I frown when there isn’t only my shirt but complete with my pair of black ripped jeans.

“Uh, unnie?”

“Mmhm?” She didn’t turn back at me as she was still putting on make-up in front of the mirror. “You’re finally awake.”

“Yeah, uh… Are you the one who put my clothes here?” I fought the urge to yawn and stretches my arm. “I remember I put them back into the luggage.”

I get off the bed and did another stretch, waiting for her answer as she did the last touch up to her lips. “You look beautiful, Yongsun-ah~” Sorry, I can’t resist to not . I heard her chuckle and rub her lips together before turning around to me.

“Thank you.” She said, smiling. “And yes, I picked them out for you.”

Okay, what?

My brain is still booting up, I don’t think it process it right. “I’m sorry, but why?” I can’t even put off the whole confuse face I’m doing right now.

She only shrugs and went to sit on the bed with one leg on top of the other. “I don’t know, last night I had a dream when I first saw you at my office lobby with these pair of jeans and I thought, ‘wow you look really good in those jeans’ so, I want to see you wearing them again.”

I don’t know how she did it. How she manages to sound so normal saying these things, she’s not even stuttering—ahh, stupid, you only stutter when you have feelings for that person. She didn’t stutter because she’s used to talking to you, Byul. Sigh. This pessimistic thought is definitely not healthy.

“What about the shirt?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Same. I love seeing you in that shirt.”

I felt that my heart just skipped a beat. I feel the whole butterfly in my stomach nonsense right now. The blush is starting to crawl up my face despite the cold weather. I don’t know if she knows, but I’m just very happy she did this.

“Also,”

I raised an eyebrow at her.

“I'm learning on how to be a good wife.”

I choked hard on that. So hard that I had to pat on my own chest in order to breathe properly. Why she suddenly wants to learn how to be a wife? Does she plan on getting married soon? She said she's not dating so how come the idea cross her mind?

The question left unanswered, I never really asked her too. The only thing that came out was "Why so suddenly?" and I can never be satisfied with her short answer.

"I just woke up with that thought." She simply told me.

I made up my mind to just let her do as she please. She went downstairs first and said she wants to help my mom making breakfast—this far she's been doing great. She asked me to keep an eye on things she does and see if it makes any difference from the usual Kim Yongsun.

Honestly speaking, she's still the same Kim Yongsun only this time she's more considerate, more careful, more caring, more…skinship. This is getting a little weird though.

I mean, yesterday she's acting weird too but this…

"Byul-ah," I shiver at the way she calls my name. It's not every day Kim Yongsun will call me sweetly like this.

It was too late for me to react when she says, "You have crumbs here." She leaned closer and her hand reaches out to my face, a finger caresses the corner of my lips and instantly stopping me from chewing on my food. She was so close, I could practically smell that addicting perfume of hers.

Goddammit, Kim Yongsun—

"There!" She pulls back happily with that huge smile.

After I survived the breakfast filled with her constant "say ahh", we loaded all our luggage into the car and ready to bit goodbyes to the rest of my family, including my dad. He was still acting a bit awkward, but thanks to Umji who somehow likes being around him, it was a bit less awkward.

Yuju came up to my side and asks, "She's acting weird. What happened?"

"I don't know," I breathed out a sigh. "She told me she woke up this morning with a decision to learn about how to be a good wife—"

"What?" The only way to explain the look on Yuju's face is that it looks identical to mine.

"Crazy, I know. Believe me, I choked on air when I heard it this morning. I mean, I don't know… She's not dating anyone though, I figured if she ever thinks of doing something like this, it's gonna be later when she finally settles with the right person."

"Oh, by the right person, you mean you?"

"Hopefully."

"So, you still haven't confessed? Unnie, you're taking too long, you know that?"

"It's more complicated than just confessing my feelings, okay?"

"No, unnie, it's as simple as confessing but you had to make it far too complicated." Maybe she was right, maybe I do take too long but she has someone she likes…wait, does this means she actually dating the one she likes? Does that someone proposed to her already? That's why she's training herself to be a good wife.

Great, Byul, if that really what happen then you're so doomed.

Yuju left my side and went to Yongsun-unnie who's ready for goodbye hugs and kisses. She would make a great wife though…

Once she's done with Yuju, she makes her way towards me with her sweet smile as she extends her hand at me. Next thing I know, I'm picturing her wedding in my head, it hurts—there's this aching feeling on my chest as I picture Kim Yongsun walking down the aisle in her beautiful white dress.

Everything was in a slow motion. In my head, she looks so beautiful and it was a perfect day for her. I know I should be happy but the pain only grew more as I realized it wasn't me who waits for her at the end of the aisle, it wasn't me who stand next to her, it wasn't me who she's going to marry.

"Hm? Byulyi, what are you—" The imagination stops and her worried face was right in front of me. "Oh my god, you're crying. What's wrong?"

I brought my hand to my face and she wasn't kidding, there are tears on my cheeks and my sight starts to blur because of the welled-up tears in my eyes.

"Unnie, don't cry~" Umji ran and hug me by my waist.

The next moment, everyone was having a family hug with me and Umji in the middle, Yongsun-unnie and my dad even joined in as well and there goes my most fragile side as I cry harder in their warm group embrace. When they all pull back, Yuju was ready with her phone to take a picture of me featuring my tears while giggling. My mom caresses my head gently and sends me her motherly smile which never fails to make me sure that everything is going to be okay. My dad patted me on the back and I offered him a smile in which he returns with the similar smile while bowing his head, I stopped him though.

"You're the only man in the family. When I leave, you will have to protect them even though mom will mostly be in charge." He nodded firmly. "And I told Yuju to pay a close attention, in case you do anything stupid again, you will no longer have any chance."

"I know, I will do my best to not disappoint you, my daughter!"

Okay, that's a little too much. "You...don't have to do it like that, dad…"

"Ah, yes, of course. I'm sorry, my daughter." I facepalmed and sighed.

“You can just call me ‘Byul’, this is kind of ridiculous.”

Another firm nod. “Yes, my da—I mean, Byul.”

Oh well, it needs time until he gets used to calling my name.

Meanwhile, the others are…staring. Yuju was the first to say something. "Heol, Byul-unnie, what did you do?”

“Nothing. We just talked everything out.”

She narrowed her eyes, “Really? You sure you didn’t beat him up to death?”

“Yuju, what did I tell you?” Yuju only shrugs and sighs, Yongsun-unnie who stands on her side, pats her on the back.

Neither my family or Yongsun-unnie knows about what happened that night when I talk to my dad alone, no one actually knows he literally begged on his knees asking for a chance and I won’t tell anyone about any of that. He's still a man, he will soon take his spot in this family as a father figure and like a normal family, they still need to respect him—that if he is proven enough to have change for the better. After all, his job as a father is to take care of his family, a family he once abandoned.

We bit one last goodbye, one last hug for each of my family members—including the slightly awkward daughter-father hug—and one last family hug before we both get in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter