Twenty Eight

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Would you like to immediately wear them?”

I recalled when he asked the two of us. He gave me a knowing look and Byulyi answered for us with a confident tone and her hamster smile.

She said, “Yes, please.”

We’re now walking down the sidewalk, heading to Wheein’s café which was only a couple of blocks from the jewelry store. This is the first time after Byulyi’s leave for London that we go to Wheein’s café. It actually will bring back so much memory into play, especially when we met each other for the first time. My arm linked with Byulyi as we walk when Byulyi stopped abruptly—more like, someone stopped her.

When I turned to the culprit, Byulyi almost protested.

“Hey—“

“Byul?” The person asked, sounded surprised with what she’s seeing. “Moon Byulyi, right?” She tried again while all the while her hand is still holding onto Byulyi’s other arm.

I raised one of my eyebrows while my forehead creases in a frown. Just who is this person? She’s a girl, that’s for sure. She’s so tall—probably around five and a half foot tall. She was wearing a long brown coat, a pair of black skinny jeans and black sneakers. Doesn’t look all that flashy but I can tell every piece of her clothing cost a pretty good cash. Her face, however, is hard to recognize because she’s wearing a black mask and a Gucci cap—whoever she is, she must not want other people to recognize her wandering around the city.

Maybe she’s an idol?

Despite of how people couldn’t recognize her easily, Byulyi let out a name out of her lips softly. A name that I only recognized a few days ago…

“Heeyeon-ah…?”

Heeyeon.

Ahn Heeyeon.

Byulyi’s best friend.

And also… Byulyi’s first love.

The woman who she told me went away and they never got in touch again after so long, maybe even until right at this moment. She applied herself into an idol agency, a big one and from Byulyi, I know she only debuted recently. She is officially an idol now. Of course, that explains the mask and hat which seals her face from the crowd.

And she is right here, holding onto Byulyi’s arm, smiling.

I took a short glance at Byulyi and she was just standing there. She’s not smiling but she is surprised. “Yah,” I felt it when ‘Heeyeon’ tugged at Byulyi’s arm, her voice slightly muffled by the mask. “Aren’t you going to give me a hug?”

My frown deepened.

Excuse me, a hug?

It only took me just that to tug back Byulyi’s arm and hold her in place, next to me. Byulyi woke up from her trance and spare me a look. Did she notice me not liking this situation? Good. I was about to tell ‘Heeyeon’ that Byulyi was taken. It was actually not necessary but with how friendly ‘Heeyeon’ was trying to act around Byulyi—especially after they got separated for many years—it makes me feel uneasy.

It makes me feel possessive over Byulyi.

However, Byulyi was always faster. “Yongsun, um… This is, uh…” If it was possible, my frown grew even deeper at this point because why is she stuttering? Why is it hard for her to just introduce ‘Heeyeon’ like a normal person would?

“Oh,” ‘Heeyeon’ finally let go of Byulyi’s arm and that makes my frown lessen for a little bit. She finally noticed me too as her eyes shifted from Byulyi to me. “Oh my, I’m sorry! I thought she’s alone and—I mean, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude. I’m—“ She paused for a bit, noticing her surrounding and quickly bows in front of Byulyi and I.

Right, she’s an idol.

“Yongsun, this is the girl that I told you about the other day.” Byulyi seemed calmer this time.

Then with a softer voice, ‘Heeyeon’ introduces herself to me.

“I’m Heeyeon, Ahn Heeyeon.” She offered me her hand to shake and I took it out of politeness. “I’m Byulyi’s best friend. Well, it was a long time ago but yeah…” She smiles, though I can only see her eyes and even right there I can tell she is a pretty girl.

No wonder Byulyi fell for her.

“Also, Heeyeon, she’s basically also my best friend but—“

“Kim Yongsun,” I cut Byulyi’s off. I don’t know what’s gotten into me. Maybe jealousy but I don’t want to admit it out loud. I just hate how Byulyi is taking her time introducing me. Why can’t she just straight up tell her that I’m Kim Yongsun, her fiancé?

Sighing mentally, I only offer her a smile.

Then I confidently tell her, “Byulyi’s fiancé.”

I was looking at her face carefully, trying to find some kind of reaction but she returns my smile sweetly and before I realize, we were already making our way to Wheein’s café. I think Byulyi must offered her to tag along with us, so I don’t complain because maybe they have so much they want to talk about since their separation years ago.

However, I don’t expect myself to feel as if I’m the third wheel here. Byulyi may have her arm linked with mine, but her head was always directed to Heeyeon as they’re chatting away. She doesn’t even try to include me in their conversation but I do appreciate Heeyeon’s little efforts by subtly talking and mentioning things to me. I kind of feel bad because all I do was to give such a dry reply and it must look like as if I’m being extremely unfriendly.

From their little chat, I learned that Heeyeon have debuted as a part of a girl group namely ‘EXID’ – and surprisingly, I also learned about Byulyi is actually a fan of Heeyeon’s girl group.

I'm not up-to-date with all the girl groups in Korea, so I don’t know that much about her nor her group. But as if something triggered Byulyi to start telling all these facts about Heeyeon. It almost sounded like she's fangirling right on the spot. Right when we arrived and picked a table (the table where I usually seat by the window), she started bragging.

Byulyi told me, aside from being so tall and pretty, she's also a straight-A student. She also had a dream to be a psychology, but along the way she found her passion for singing more.

There was no room for me to fill with anything but a respond that sound as if I am utterly interested to hear more—honestly, I don’t. I know down there I want Byulyi to stop being like this. Stop bragging about Heeyeon to me.

It seems like no one hear my mental plea until fifteen minutes later Heeyeon told us she need to go asap. Said she was only supposed to go get coffee before heading to the agency. I can see the smile I'm making in the back of my mind.

“Well, we should take a picture together.” Heeyeon suggested it as she grab Byulyi's phone as it was placed on the rounded table. We took three selcas and then I saw Heeyeon typed something in Byulyi's phone before Heeyeon's phone rang and so she quickly gives Byulyi's phone back to me with an apologetic smile.

“Sorry, we had to meet like this. Next time, I'll make sure to make time for us to catch up on things.” Heeyeon give Byulyi a hug. It was fine. It was only a friendly hug anyway. “I put my number, call me.”

And then once again, she did the unexpected.

Maybe it was a friendly gesture.

Something they used to do.

But I'm her fiancé.

I'm the fiancé and she can't just lean down and capture Byulyi's cheek as if they're dating. So no, it is not okay at all. I was ready to make it clear for Heeyeon that she can’t just go around kissing my fiancé’s cheek, right in front of my face. But too bad, Heeyeon was in such a hurry that I was too slow to protest at her when she gives me yet another smile and a quick hug.

“It’s so nice meeting you, unnie.” It was a quick hug that lasts a little longer when she whispers, “Thank you for staying with her.” And then she was out the door, turned back for a second just to wave at our way.

Because of what she said earlier, I almost don’t want to protest to her anymore but I really don’t like the idea of someone else being too close with Byulyi. And Heeyeon was way too close.

So, this is very unlike me.

To try and not look at Byulyi, to not hold her hand back, to not even talk to Byulyi.

“Yongsun.” I heard her calling me softly, I only replied with a soft hum. “I love you.” Then I felt a kiss at the back of my hand, making me turning my head to Byulyi who has been keeping her eyes at me. Both of her hands wrapping my hand softly and full of affection before giving it another kiss on my open palm.

She looks as if she doesn’t even care with the people around her. If there’s a fire going on behind her, she wouldn’t even care because she wants to give me all of her attention. And no, I am not exaggerating it at all.

That’s exactly how she’s gazing at me.

“What is it…?” I asked quietly.

Byulyi shakes her head a little, “Nothing.” She’s rubbing the ring wrapping one of my fingers. “I didn’t pay enough attention to you when Heeyeon was here. I know I shouldn’t be like that. I’m sorry.”

I hate this.

I hate myself for finding this Byulyi is too irresistible.

Like how can you even expect me to be mad when all she’s doing is being such a sweetheart like this? It’s almost annoying. I sighs, smiling then tell her, “I understand

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter