Twenty Five

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Is it too fast?

Do I look like I was rushing things with the proposal? It wasn’t even a week—heck, it wasn’t even three days after I proposed to her without a ring and now here I am waiting for her to pick me up for our dinner date. I even already planned to do the proposal again, properly this time. A hand placed on top of mine and I was welcomed by an encouraging smile.

“Relax, just take a deep breath and count to five. You’ll feel a little better, at least.” Irene said. So I did as she told me. It didn’t help that much but like she said, it does make me feel a little better.

But what I need right now isn’t a little better.

It ticked me off a little seeing how nervous I become. How come I feel nervous now? I did it just fine back then at the car. I didn’t even stutter my words. So, why do I feel so nervous right now? I’m just going to do the same damn thing, only with better environment and mood, and ask her to marry me while showing the tiny box to her. It should be easy… It sounded easy…

But—sigh—you do know that one saying, “Easier said than done”?

Well, it is true.

As if the universe wanting me to stop over thinking it, Irene waves her hand at someone behind me. She was there with her charming smile, walking up to where I’m sitting and I’m just suddenly lost in her figure. She took a seat right next to me, maybe a little too close but I don’t mind. She was so close that I can even smell her perfume.

“Yongsun,” Byulyi’s voice entered my system and I just realized I’ve been openly staring at her like a fangirl. God, that was embarrassing. “Am I that distracting?” She asked with a confident handsome smirk.

Yes, you are. “Whatever. Anyway, Byul-ah, meet my best friend, Bae Joohyun a.k.a Irene.” She starts to flash her charming smile at Irene, almost as if she's trying to impress her. “And Irene, I do apologize if she's trying to charm you with that smile—but meet my, uh,” I was struggling on thinking what exactly I should introduce her to Irene.

I mean, are we even dating?

Well, we’re best friends but why the thought of introducing her as my best friend instead of more, felt so wrong now?

And besides, I do plan to redo the whole proposal tonight but—

“Her soon-to-be fiancé.” Byulyi smiles proudly, then threw me a small smirk and I knew that time, she's not at all kidding about the bragging part. We're not even official yet she's already this cocky. Nonetheless, it didn't fail to make my heart beats a little faster.

Irene gave me an all too knowing small smile while raising an eyebrow, “Well, it's a pleasure to finally meet the infamous fiancé, Byulyi-ssi.” Irene offers her hand.

“The pleasure is all mine.” She leaned forward to shake hand with Irene’s waiting one. They broke away and Byulyi was back sitting comfortably in her chair while putting one of her arms behind my back. “Um, how should I call you? Yongsun said you're the same age as her, can I just call you 'unnie' then?”

“It’s fine but just call me 'Irene'—I barely use my Korean name anyway.”

The whole chit-chat unfortunately couldn’t last long since both Byulyi and I need to leave for our dinner date and Irene also mentioned she needed to head to the hospital soon. So, we parted ways as Byulyi drive us to our destination.

I still remember how Irene giving me the look, indirectly telling me that I need to execute the plan tonight. She’s also wishing me the best of luck—though she also said “I doubt you actually need one anyway since you particularly knew her answer but whatever, good luck!” I still need the luck to get my nervous out of the way because god, my palms are starting to sweat!

I gulped an invisible lump in my throat, and then I felt her hand hugging mine gently.

“You okay?” She asked in her most caring tone.

It makes me smile when she's this sensitive to sense my nerves acting up and try her ways to calm me down. Very caring indeed. “Yeah, just feeling kind of…nervous? I don't know. Ever since I confessed to you, and since I'm so sure of your feelings for me, I became so hyperaware of everything and it's just—”

I stopped blabbering when I felt soft lips on the back of my hand, followed by a soft squeeze.

Byulyi just kissed my hand and smile at me so lovingly, my heart could stop beating altogether. “Stop thinking too much. Have I told you that you look beautiful tonight?”

“Byul-ah,” Obviously, I'm still wearing the same clothes since the moment she dropped me off at the café. It’s not like I have the time to prepare myself a bit more decently—sigh, maybe I should have taken a small time to prepare for this dinner date, Irene did suggest it but I was worried I'd make Byulyi wait (though in the end, I'm the one who's waiting for her). Still though, she made it sound as if I dress myself for this when I'm actually not. “You do realize these are the exact set of clothes I threw on me this afternoon. I haven't even wash my face—”

I was stopped by another kiss on my hand.

“Still looking so beautiful though. I thought my eyes are playing tricks on me,” I almost curse inside my head because I can feel the weird feeling in my stomach when she's being so sincere and giving that loving look. It makes me think I don’t deserve her this much. “Turns out you're just normally being pretty I could go blind if I stare too long.”

I had to roll my eyes at her last line.

She gave me another kiss—on my hand, of course—before leaning closer to me that I immediately close my eyes because anyone would think she was going in for a kiss. I think she was going to kiss me, but the thought flew off when I heard her chuckle, followed by a click sound of my unbuckled seatbelt. Damn it, of course, she's not aiming for that. She was only brave enough to kiss my hand, my cheek, and my forehead (sometimes). Thinking that makes me blushes because I just mistook her gesture and I think she noticed.

She let me off though, not teasing me or anything. That’s a bit new.

We proceed to enter the restaurant. I figured she's already booked a table for us when all she had to do was make herself known as 'Moon Byulyi' and the waiter with a perfectly greased hair, shows us the way to our table.

We had to take the elevator and I slightly frown at this part. “I want it to be special, so I booked the one on the balcony with all the beautiful view.” She scratches the back of her neck, nervously smiles and let out a short laugh. “Minhyuk said you like romance. Stuff that happens in dramas. So—”

“You talked to Minhyuk? When? How? You two only met once and that was even by accident. I mean, why did he even tell you things about me?”

I clearly don’t have a really good feeling about this. About the idea of Byulyi asking Minhyuk things about me. Why would she anyway? Byulyi knew it better that she can just ask me about what I like, about what I prefer, about what I want—she practically knows more about me than Minhyuk does. So why did she decide to ask Minhyuk instead? I'm just aware that Minhyuk will spill even the embarrassing things to Byulyi and there goes my image—sigh.

Byulyi didn't answer me when the elevator made the familiar 'ding' noise and the door opens, revealing a view I have never seen before. I haven’t even stepped out of the elevator and yet I’m so sure the beauty of view that holds there is going to take my breath away.

I think Byulyi noticed when she tugged my hand, asking me to move and follow her to the table she picked.

It was there—right in the middle, nearby the fences—a rounded table set up with three pieces of candles in the middle, a small flower too to add up the romantic touch. I was speechless. Not to mention the spot was the perfect one to enjoy the view of the night’s city lights. Just how much did she spend for this? This won't cost small money, I’m sure.

I was busy wondering and admiring everything once we take our seats. Byulyi gently pull out the chair for me—just like when we had breakfast—before she sits on her own chair.

Again, she's scratching

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter