Fourteen

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My eyes quickly scanned the whole room once we step inside.

Byulyi said the greetings as she entered the house and letting everyone inside know that she's finally arrived. I followed her greeting but of course I didn't sound as excited as Byulyi's voice earlier. I still am feeling nervous and to top it all, I'm also going to meet the one man Byulyi never told me about and yet this man is taking such a big part in the family.

The father.

"Omo, Byul-ah!" A woman greeted us - no, I mean she greeted Byulyi because her eyes locked with Byulyi in a mere second there.

Byulyi smiled genuinely when the woman came up to her and instantly giving her a heartwarming welcome hug. She's shorter than Byulyi that Byulyi had to bend down a little when she let go of Umji's hand to return the hug. "I miss you, eomma." I heard her soft voice said while her hand rubbing the woman's back up and down in a soothe manner.

Ah, so she's the mother.

"Yah!" Byulyi's mother pulled back and hit her arm. I had to blink and shakes my head lightly. A second earlier she was all missing Byulyi and now she's hitting her. Plus, Byulyi can't really do anything but to defend herself from her mother's slap on her arm. "Why didn't you visit? It's been four years, did you forget your family? Look at Umji! She's been waiting for--"

"Eomma, eomma, just wait a second!"

Wait, did Byulyi just shut her mother up by putting her palm on her mother's mouth?

"Yah, Byulyi!" I had to step in the scene, pulling Byulyi's hand away from her. "What do you think you're doing? She's your mother." I did try not to shout too loud. But maybe I sounded really loud that the second later it became dead silent and I can feel the stare from Byulyi's mother direction - from Umji too.

I bite my lower lip, sending a desperate sign at Byulyi through my eyes.

"Byul-ah...who is she?"

"A, ah..." I took a short step back and bow down with another awkward smile. I don't know why I always give such weird smile every time I introduce myself to Byulyi's family member - first Umji and now her mother. I ran a hand to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so rude cutting in like that... Um, I'm Byulyi's friend...and I'm really sorry for acting--"

"Aigoo, that's enough, unnie." I felt a hand on my shoulder, a comforting one.

In a matter of seconds, Byulyi's mother cover and at the same time her eyes went wide in surprise. "Omo... You must be Kim Yongsun."

"Ah, yes..." By now, Byulyi must have told every single one of her family members about me. The older sister, Yuju, will most likely know about me too and I doubt it will be anymore surprise if she knew my name without me telling her anything. With a respective polite manner, I gave the woman a bow and another smile, "My name is Kim Yongsun. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Moon."

As if knowing how nervous I become, Byulyi's mother gave me a warm smile. One that is very similar to Byulyi's - wait, it should be the other way around.

"You can call me 'Eomma'. Thanks for taking care of her, she can be a pain sometimes but since you two are close friends, you must be used to all of her antiques by now. Please keep being her friend." It sounded a bit weird. We're not High School girls, but the way she talks to me it was as if she was glad Byulyi finally made a friend at school because she's such an anti-social girl it's hard for her to make friends.

Or...to be more delusional, everything starting to feel as if I'm Byulyi's girlfriend who is about to get to know more about Byulyi's family.

"Omonna..." I felt the soft touch on one of my cheeks, then the next thing I heard almost make me choke. "You look prettier in person."

"Ahh... That was..."

That...was clearly as unexpected as Umji.

"I'm not really...that pretty."

The greasiness really runs in the family.

That is one thing for sure.

I could hear Byulyi's faint laugh behind me, somehow I feel my hand move by itself to hit Byulyi's arm - no, I don't care that was the arm where her mother hit her earlier. She's enjoying my flustered self too much and I can't believe she never warned me about it.

With a last soft chuckle, Byulyi put a hand on my shoulder again. "Stop that, eomma. That one from Umji shocked her enough, I think she needs a break."

"Oh, what Umji said to you?"

Before I can say anything, Byulyi squeeze my shoulder lightly. She shrugged, "Ask the culprit."

Just then I realized Umji already went to my side and she only shrugged - mirroring Byulyi. Byulyi's mother only smile knowingly and shakes her head lightly before turning her full attention back to me and Byulyi. "I'll deal with the culprit later, but now you two must be hungry. I'm almost done with all the cooking, you can go sit in the living room while I prepare dinner."

Byulyi gave me another squeeze, but I look at her, she seemed so tense. The squeeze just now must be her nerve acting up but Byulyi being Byulyi, she only give me another smile. "No, we'll wait in my room instead. I need to lay down for a few minutes. We'll head back downstairs before you know it."

"Okay, you do that-- Oh, and if you're looking for Yuju, she's at--"

"Sowon's place." Byulyi finished. "Umji told me."

"Um, do you need any help in the kitchen?" Leaving just like that would be rude, right? Remembering how polite Byulyi can be, I guess offering a little help now with everything her mother is making is the best thing to do. "I can stay and help out." I finished, but Byulyi only tugged my hand gently.

I turned to look at her and she was going to say something, but I guess her mother knows what Byulyi is going to say.

"It's okay, Yongsun-ssi. Like I said, I'm almost done with the cooking."

"But--"

I felt a tight drip around my hand, none other than Byulyi of course.

She started pulling my hand to direction of her room, I didn't even get the chance to excuse myself but Byulyi's mother seem to understand as she give me another smile. It kind of reminded me of my passed mother. I quickly shook my head before I get myself feeling too mellow - it never failed to make me shed tears every time I sit and remember my mother and sister. With a mental sigh, I softly exhale and I realized where I'm standing.

I'm in front of a door that will most likely be the door to Byulyi's room.

"Wait, I need to check if it's a mess in there or not."

I rolled my eyes at her, it's not like I'm going to be mad if the room turn out to be a mess.

She took a short peak inside and sigh. "Okay," Byulyi pushed the door open. "We're good. You may enter first."

I gave her a look.

Her eyebrow raised as she smirks at me. "Ladies first."

"We're both ladies."

I stepped inside, eyes instantly looking every inch of Byulyi's room.

"You're more lady-like."

It made me slightly frown at it, "What's with that statement?" I asked without turning around or even facing her as I walk over to a small desk. There lie a few photographs in frames. Those must be pictures of Byulyi when she's still in her younger days. A smaller version of her must look very cute so I had to take a look at those photograph of her. I took steps closer and when I'm close enough, I narrowed my eyes and frowns. The girl in the picture is looking very similar to Byulyi if you look at their faces but if you judge it physically, the two didn't look similar at any point of view. The little girl in the picture is definitely a lot fatter than the Byulyi I know now.

She used to be this fat...?

I know it's rude to ask her something like that. I'm surprised because she's even fatter than me and I already hated myself because everyone keeps picking on me because I was fat. Suddenly I feel extremely curious to know just what she did to lose all those fats and became who she is right now. It must be a long inspiring journey... Unlike mine. Mine was only me doing diets and workouts, plus attending classes.

"So where do you want me to start the story?" I nearly tripped when I heard her voice right next to my ear.

She was breathing on my ear for a split second there.

I pushed her away on reflex. "Stop startling me, you know I get startled easily. And please stop trying to read my mind."

"Yah, unnie, I can't read minds."

"I know that much."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter