Twenty Three

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jung Wheein was angry and Ahn Hyejin is enjoying every bit of it.

I’m very sure of that judging by the way she won’t stop smirking.

But honestly, I couldn’t really blame Wheein for getting angry at me and Byulyi. Especially since it was seriously my fault the two of us ended up at the police station.

“I can’t believe it.” She let out a frustrated sigh as she ran her hand through her shorter brown bops now.

And Byulyi… Sigh… “Your hair is really short now. It’s cute.” Really, this hamster…

Her eyes been glued at Wheein’s hair. I know it must have shocked her—hell, it shocked me too—but this is getting a little creepy because she’s not even blinking.

“Just to be clear,” Hyejin's smirk grew. “Your grease will not work this time.”

It was then when Wheein finally speak again did Byulyi stop staring (still glancing every now and then). “You two are not kids anymore, unnie and you!” Byulyi flinched, I knew even without Wheein putting her index finger at her nor looking at her way that she was referring that to Byulyi. “I’m still not forgiving you yet.”

“I know, Wheein-ah,” Okay, here we go.

“No,” Byulyi gulped at Wheein’s tone. “You don’t, unnie. You don’t know how worried I was when I got the call from the police officer.”

“Wheein-ah, you didn’t even let the officer finish—“

I stopped when I felt a hand on my shoulder. Hyejin sparing me a look when she says, “Yongsun-unnie, it’d be best if you don’t defend her because you two are definitely at fault here.”

Oh well, Hyejin was right. I felt bad too because the moment Wheein and Hyejin came to pick us up, Wheein was already drenched in her tears. Hyejin suprisingly trying to stay calm and comfort her bestfriend slash girlfriend. I still remember Wheein’s cry when she hug me so tight.

But it still wasn’t entirely our fault.

It still was a misunderstanding after all and she wouldn’t be crying her eyes out thinking Byulyi and I will stay in one of those cells at the station, if she just let Senior Officer Kang finish her sentence.

Byulyi’s sigh makes me think she has a way to make it up with Wheein—or at least something that can get her distracted enough. “I’m sorry, okay? And because I know this would happen—you and Hyejin got upset with me—I prepared gifts for you.” Byulyi makes her way to her luggage and took something out of its small pocket on the front.

“This was supposed to be a surprise. My christmas gifts and all.” She has this smug smile knowing the two girls will love her gifts.

And they do.

Really do.

Especially Wheein.

“Oh my god! It’s Beenzino’s concert ticket! HOW DID YOU—This is… Yah, how much did you spent on this—” Wheein stopped for a second as she examines the precious ticket in her hand. Then she pounced at Byulyi a little too excitedly since Byulyi nearly lose her balance. “—my god, including backstage pass?! Moon Byulyi, how the hell you get this? I need to know.”

“Yah, unnie, why did you also get me his concert ticket? You should’ve gone with Rihanna’s concert ticket for me.” Of course, both Byulyi and I figured Hyejin will sulk with the fact but it’s not Moon Byulyi if she hadn’t prepared an answer for that reaction.

She plopped herself back on the couch with me, more relaxed as she put an arm behind my shoulders, her back completely resting on the couch. “I could but that means I will need to get you a roundtrip plane ticket too and that will cost way over my budget.”

“Besides,” She starts again before Hyejin could interfere. “Don’t you think you need to keep Wheein company at Beenzino’s concert? You know how much she loves that guy.” Wheein let out a fangirl squeal, she seems to be very excited for the gift. “She’s not gonna miss the chance of seeing him backstage.”

Hyejin narrows her eyes at Wheein, “Right.” She whispered.

Wheein is now busy pulling up her phone to capture her concert ticket. From taking a picture of the ticket in her hand, then taking a selfie with the ticket and lastly— “Hyejin-ah, come here! Let’s do this one together!” Hyejin rushed to her side. They posed and then do another silly (Hyejin) and cute (Wheein) expressions.

Ah, I think I know that.

It was like what everyone has been doing lately… Um, a boomerang?

Honestly, it was all more than enough to make Jung Wheein forget that she’s actually angry at the both of us minutes ago. Though, it does make me wonder how did Byulyi get two tickets for Beenzino’s concert. It must cost a lot…right?

“So, how did you get it?”

“A friend of a friend of mine—Amber, she has connections and she actually offered me to go see the concert together because she got like…five tickets and she already gave one for Soojung. I told her I’m not very fond in watching concerts but I remember how crazy Wheein is about Beenzino. She ended up giving me all of the three remaining tickets,”

“Just take them. I don’t know. Sell them online? Just take those three extra tickets.” Byulyi imitated (what she believed) the way Amber talks to her that time. Honestly, I almost burst out laughing because the face she’s making is so not Byulyi.

She continues when I finally calmed down. “Oh well…” She sighs, “So, I saved two for Wheein and Hyejin and I sold the last one online.” I looked at her almost funnily but she was serious. “What? I don’t know what to do with it.”

So, in the end, Wheein forgot about her anger towards us and I couldn’t be more grateful.

When it’s time for dinner, Wheein asked if we all should eat out but Byulyi told us she will cook dinner. She said she’s been wanting to spoil all three of us with her “upgraded cooking skill” over the past four years. It will be the dish that gave her the first lose and also the first win in a competition.

I was never that good with cooking but I can’t let Byulyi struggle by herself so I offered help, Hyejin and Wheein too but Byulyi knows how Wheein is still not very good with anything around the kitchen—it’s just not her field—so she asked Wheein to buy some missing ingredients with Hyejin because she can’t risk Wheein buying the wrong thing. She even wrote them down in a piece of paper.

With Wheein and Hyejin gone to the market, it resulted in Byulyi and I being the only one left.

None of us were talking, but it’s not weird nor uncomfortable. I swear I suddenly became very self-aware as I cut off the onions in silence. Byulyi was busy grouping each ingredient in small containers. I noticed she’s now used to keep everything organized and tidy. She looks like a professional chef, knowing all her way around the kitchen and looking so serious while doing it. I bit my lower lip, looking down at the onions—which I regretted doing so because my eyes are now feeling so teary looking at it.

But seriously, ugh, she makes me so giddy.

“Oh,” My head quickly turns to the source of that voice, almost startling me though. “Is this the brewing machine you told me about?” I quickly wipes away the tears and holding back a sob—damn, onions.

When I look at her again, she was smiling, eyeing the brewing machine that I once told her about and even made her promise to make me my favorite coffee once she’s back to Korea. I don’t know much about the brewing machine so in the end I bought the exact same model with the one at Wheein’s coffee shop.

“Yeah, I tried to brew coffee on my own every now and then though…”

“Really?” Her eyebrow raises altogether, seemingly perking an interest at my statement.

I nodded at her, continuing my onion cutting task. “Yeap. I’m still nowhere near your level, sadly. Guess it’s not really my field, I’d rather have you do it for me instead.”

Somehow, out of nowhere, my words summons a wave of silence and god, I hate being so self-aware when this happens cause the silence is suffocating me. When Byulyi mutters a low, “Stay put.” I frowned.

She, again, walk to her luggage and now pulled out a bag of…seeds.

Coffee seeds.

“I bought this specially for you.” She stands next to me, putting the bag of coffee seeds on the kitchen counter. It wasn’t a big bag but judging from the packaging, I knew it must be quite expensive. She let out a sigh, “I promised you a coffee and I’ll fulfill that promise but not now. I want it to be special, you know? And those two young girls will barge in your apartment door any second now, so yeah.”

And as what Byulyi told me, nearly a minute after, Wheein and Hyejin came back with the ingredients Byulyi needs. I wasn’t even given the time to reply to her.

Hyejin and Wheein were now reporting the ingredients they bought to the chef, Byulyi (I’d like it better to call her my personal chef). It’s more like Wheein brags about how she picked the precise ingredients like what Byulyi wrote on the paper and Hyejin was just there to praise her girlfriend, of course. I rolled my eyes and chuckles at them.

Feeling slightly want to distract myself, I grabbed my phone and noticed there’s an unread message from…Irene? Ah, right, she put her number in my phone. It was a simple message saying she wants to meet up and hang out with me tomorrow.

“Seulgi told me about you and your girlfriend. I need more explanation on this, Solar. Let’s meet up tomorrow at our usual café?”

I blushed when I read the word ‘girlfriend’ and I knew she was referring it to Byulyi. It makes me feel a little giddy though. In the end I only sent a simple ‘okay’ to her invitation and an additional: “Tell me about you and that Senior Officer in exchange.”

Time flew and the next moment I realized, we were all already finished the dish Byulyi made.

I’d say her dish was definitely the kind of dish that you can get in a five-star restaurant and no, I am not exaggerating it. The dish’s name is surprisingly easier to say now unlike that dish she made me way back then. It’s Spanish Braised Chicken with Sherry and Saffron – Byulyi said the English name is too long so she told us the short yet harder name for the dish.

“Pollo en Pepitoria.”

Okay, maybe it doesn’t sound all that hard after all.

But I must admit the way she said it sounded so y. Sigh, this somehow feels like those years ago when I first met her.

Later on, Wheein and Hyejin said they’re willing to go and buy more ingredients for Byulyi just so she can cook them more because one serving for each of them simply isn’t enough. I couldn’t blame them, I actually want seconds too.

It is now added to my list of favorite food. Still below tteokbokkie—sorry, Byulyi.

Byulyi said she will cook more of the special dishes she nailed some other time and to make up for their still-so-very-hungry-stomach, she ordered a bucket of fried chicken for them. I told

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter