Twenty (Byul)

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a long day but everything was worth it. Seeing both of my sisters having fun in the ice skate ring is more than enough to make me enjoy this whole day, even though I’m the only one who can’t skate—god, even Yongsun knows what she’s doing and I never knew she can skate all this time. I almost curse at myself for being so stubborn and not accept her offer to teach me the basic of ice skating.

Right after we're done, Yongsun-unnie and Umji wasted zero minute to whine about their grumbling stomachs and before I can suggest our next destination, Yuju already shouted the name of the restaurant where I used to take my little sisters to eat out. It was our favorite place, back when I'm still working part-time jobs, if I have more money to spare, I will treat them to eat at that restaurant and coming back to that place after so many years instantly took me back in time.

But there's something else that may have bothered me.

"Yongsun-unnie, go get anything you want. I'm buying."

"Mm, no thanks." That was new.

My mother asked me to go buy some groceries for dinner and of course, I asked Yongsun-unnie to tag along with me. It was also because she looked a bit down and just seem very off, so I take her with me and plan to treat her anything she wants; hopefully the idea will make her feel better, but it didn't. Usually, she will get her favorite snacks especially when I said I'm going to pay, but now it seems like she doesn't even want to be here. It's a little weird and I'm getting worried.

While waiting in line to pay for the groceries, I asked her again. "You sure you don't want anything?"

Only with a simple nod without a single smile, she says, "No." Now I wonder if I did something wrong...

She took the bag of groceries alone and then just walk out of the door without even waiting for me. Once the pretty cashier lady handed my card back, I said a quick thanks and run off outside of the store to catch up to her. But once I get to her, she says "You don't need to be so in a rush." While keep on walking without sparing a single glance at me.

It pisses me off a little but I try to not be selfish, maybe she's on her period? I don't know, she's hard to read when she's in this kind of mood. "In case you forgot, you're the one who left me." Hey, there’s nothing wrong with being a little defensive for myself.

"Did I? Sorry then." She replied shortly.

Unnie is acting weird.

Feeling the tense, I try to help her with the groceries. "Let me carry that—"

But before I can reach for the heavy plastic bag, she pulled it further away from me. Indicates that she clearly doesn’t want any of my help. "It's okay, I can do it myself." She said.

But it's not okay.

I know something must bothering her and I hate it every time she decides to not share any of it with me. She's been acting weird after we all had our lunch at this one restaurant—my family's favorite restaurant since I was a kid. My mind keeps on recalling the time we spent eating there and I can't quite wrap my head around it, I can't find the reason why Yongsun-unnie would be so pissed until she won't even spare a glance at me. I just don't get it, was it my fault? Was it what Yuju and Umji have said? Was it the owner of the restaurant offended her at some point? Was it their granddaughter—

Stupid.

It clicked now.

How can I miss it? Of course, it had to be the owner's granddaughter.

Call me delusional but I think the reason why Yongsun-unnie is acting a little cold to me was because of our earlier encounter with the granddaughter of the restaurant owner--an old married couple whom I always address the same way as my grandmother and grandfather. They're always nice to me since I was a kid, they know my family struggle with all the financial needs back then when Dad left us, and sometimes when I want to eat at that restaurant using my spare money, they don't allow me to pay. They told me to keep the money for my mom. They're literally my family too even when we're not blood-related. I found out later on they have a granddaughter and her name is Yoo Yeonjoo. A beautiful girl born a few years after me and I used to help her with homework, quite honestly if she wasn't so young, I may have try to date her but I keep that thought out of my mind.

Not only Yeonjoo is like a little sister to me, she's also a very precious granddaughter for her grandparents.

She's somehow very attached to me—more like, clingy. She's very confident and tend to say what's in her mind without a care—almost like Hyejin but much less sassy and Yeonjoo usually only blurt out harmless stuff like, "Unnie, do I look pretty today?" or "Unnie, you should live here with me" — she's very cute though and I even remember when she asked me to pick her up at school one time because her friends don't believe she has a big sister. Well, technically, we're not sisters but I played along with her.

After all those years, Yeonjoo hasn't changed much.

She's taller, of course, but still a few inches below me and Yongsun-unnie. She turned into such a beautiful young girl that if some people don't know her and see her somewhere, they must mistake Yeonjoo to be some kind of princess—she has that kind of vibe somehow. The moment she saw me after those years I went

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter