Thirteen

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The trip was long, but it was okay.

It took us two hours to reach our destination, I told her that I want to drive but she insisted that it will be better if she do it instead. We had a small pointless argument about who's going to drive but when she said, "Do you even know where my house is?" - I knew I just lost the battle. She told me she will let me drive on the way back to Seoul. It's not like I was obsessed with driving, but it's been forever since the last time I'm going on a trip like this; the trip I got from those work meetings aren't that enjoyable.

We spent the first hour by talking.

I kept her awake and alert while driving, I knew she still feel slightly sleepy so I try my best to keep talking about many things with her. I got too caught up with the story I was telling her that she missed two rest areas - I was telling her something about Wendy getting herself a special someone and how she only told everyone at work that she's engaged and going to marry that person next year on February. It was a huge surprise because no one knows she's taken for one and a half years now. Only then I stopped talking when Byulyi told me to not miss the next rest area because she needed to use the bathroom for a bit.

We didn't spend too much time there. When she left for the restroom, I also went to the small market and bought two ramens and then seated myself on the passenger seat. Less than three minutes later, I saw Byulyi walking towards the car.

"I bought ramen." I handed her the said ramen. She haven't even enter the car yet.

She didn't say much, only taking it from my hand and started eating it silently. "Thanks for the food." She announced, extending her hand at me. I gave her the empty ramen bowl to her when she say, "I'll throw this away and we'll get back on the road. It'll be troublesome arriving later than the schedule. My sister won't stop asking me when I'm going to arrive there."

I watched her throwing away the empty bowls, then walks back but then she stopped. Her hand reached her phone.

Must be her sister again.

I wonder how would they react when they find out Byulyi is taking her bestfriend to her hometown. Will they be okay with me around? I wish they won't be thinking anything weird about Byulyi and me, getting awkward is the last thing I want to have with Byulyi. It's okay, everything will be alright. Yeah, Byulyi said her mother practically know about me already since she ever talked about me with her; even though only through a phone call.

When the car door opens, Byulyi got inside, fasten her seatbelt and starts to drive us both to our destination.

I was planning on doing the same thing again, keeping her awake and alert by throwing topics at her, but then I feel my eyes getting heavier each minute passed. I squinted my eyes every time I yawn, yet I still try to stay awake and keep listening to her. She was telling me about her family, something about her little sister is caring yet also a bit over-protective and the smaller one who seems to love Byulyi in general; Umji is her name, if I'm not mistaken.

I missed the part where she told me about the older sister's name.

I heard the small chuckle, "You don't have to push yourself. Just sleep. I'll be okay."

"No, I'm not really--" I covered my mouth, trying to hold down a yawn but failed.

"Just take a rest. I will wake you up when we get there."

I believe we were an hour more until we reach the destination, but it felt as if I only sleep for thirty minutes when I felt the car stop.

I was woken up by Byulyi who step on the break and shook my shoulder lightly as she calls out my name. The moment I open my eyes, her smile made my heart skipped a beat. She had no idea about it though, she only caresses my head when I lazily ask her, "Are we there yet?" I saw her nodding her head, pulling her hand away while undoing my seatbelt.

With a half-lidded eyes, I did a small stretch. My muscles have been feeling a little sore from the lack of sleeping position I had. I tilted my head to the side while giving light massages around my neck - god, I almost can't feel my neck at all. I ignored the numb feeling as we both got off the car, the wind quickly brushes over my face and it sent shivers to my entire body in an instant. It didn't surprise me so much with the cold weather, I just didn't pay so much attention while I was in the car because I barely even awake. I've been here before but not around this area. The sound of the trees around somehow soothe me softly.

"It's relaxing somehow...being here." I said when I felt a hand on my neck, massaging it gently.

I could see the houses lining up and the one house we stopped by was painted in yellow. It wasn't luxurious, it was like any typical korean houses. They also have a small swing outside - will it be okay if I sit there? Just for a bit since the weather is not so friendly today.

"Looks like they plan to keep it forever." Byulyi muttered softly.

I wonder if Byulyi asked her family to throw it away at some point, but somehow I get the feeling that Byulyi must used to be sitting on that swing years ago. She looks like someone who would sit and relax on a swing after a long day at school. Ah, Byulyi in her school uniform must be so cute.

"Do you think I can try it?" I turned to her, giving her a smirk. "That swing must be your favorite spot."

She smiled at me and it somehow gave me a comfortable warmth. "One of them."

"Oh, there are more?" I did try to sound not too excited.

Byulyi only shrugged, her hand moved from the back of my neck and slipped in between my fingers. "You can try the swing later and I'll show you a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter