Fifteen

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I remembered I said about how the greasiness runs in the family.

I’ve been experiencing it the first time I met Byulyi’s family; her little sister, Umji and her mother. I will cross the father’s name on the list since even talking to him seem a little too impossible for now. I would like to hold a short conversation with the man – just for the sake of being polite but how can I initiate anything when all he does is taking glances at me and Byulyi as if threatening us.

But back to the matter of greasiness, if there’s going to be one person not having that infamous talent in greasiness, that person must be Byulyi’s biological little sister, Yuju.

“I can’t believe her girlfriend is going to be this beautiful.” As soon as those words left her lips, she shook her head almost violently and scratches the back of her head – she seemed to be shivering too.

She must not use to being greasy.

I was going to say that she mistakes me on that girlfriend part – although, I will admit, it feels so good knowing her family acknowledge me as Byulyi’s girlfriend. But Yuju’s apology stopped me from telling her the truth. “Ah, sorry, I was trying to impress you by being greasy like my sister but I guess I don’t have it in my gen as much as she does.” She cracked a goofy smile that even still make her look beautiful.

And truly, the smile resembles Byulyi even more than their mother.

“Yongsun-unnie? Sola—“

The door swung open, revealing a panic Byulyi.

Her eyes went from me, then to Yuju.

Byulyi frowns, “How— What are you doing out here?”

Yuju quickly answered casually with, “I just arrived—“

“Not you.” Byulyi cut her.

Byulyi’s eyes locked with mine. Her tone isn’t very gentle but I know she’s just worried because I’ve been excusing myself for too long while the family still having dinner – Ah, stupid. You had to ruin your own image in front of her family. With a guilty deep sigh, I caress my temple out of nervous.

Biting my lower lip softly. “Sorry. I need to take a small timeout. My head suddenly feeling a little dizzy.” I ran a hand over my head, hoping she would buy the lie.

We shared a short knowing look before she sighed.

"Yah! Unnie! She may be your girlfriend, but asking me to shut—“ Yuju couldn’t finish her sentence once her eyes met Byulyi’s. No, Byulyi isn’t glaring at her, it was a little hard to explain it but Yuju got nervous under Byulyi’s stare. “I mean, sorry for yelling. I just came back from Sowon-unnie’s house.” She muttered.

It didn’t take long for Byulyi to go for a big hug with her sister.

Yuju seems to be struggling in Byulyi’s tight embrace, but she didn’t push her big sister away, she returns the hug. “You should stop hugging me before I burst into tears, unnie and you know me crying is super ugly. Although, you must be uglier than me.”

“Can you stop talking for once? Your unnie misses you here.”

“…” And Yuju obeyed.

After what seemed like a long but not that long hug, Yuju tries to wiggle out of the embrace.

“Okay, timeout.” Yuju is definitely taller than Byulyi and seeing someone actually look like Byulyi and is standing next to her. She had to slightly look up at Yuju – ah, even Byulyi had to tip toe a bit while hugging her, she’s so cute. She looks so small and cute and if people didn’t know, they may think Yuju is the older sister. “I’m still a little upset you didn’t visit in four years.”

“Yah, I still send you chats, letters for mom and even video calls every once in a while.”

“Well, yeah, but having you here is always better.”

Byulyi snorts, “Are you trying to be on my level of grease?” Yuju only rolled her eyes, but she’s still smiling though. “He’s still inside. We’re having dinner and before we go inside, let’s do this little introduction really quick.” I caught the small glance and suddenly I feel a little nervous.

Nervous, but I took a step closer. “Hello, I’m Kim Yongsun. You must be Byulyi’s sister, Yuju.”

“Yeah, I know you. You’re her girlfriend.”

“Ah, yeah, about that—“

“Obviously, you’re all she talks about on the phone.”

“Um, pardon?”

She talks about me on the phone?

I didn’t get to ask when Byulyi already put her palm on Yuju’s mouth. I narrowed my eyes curiously when Byulyi say, “This kid is always blabbering everything in her head. Forget what she said about me and, seriously…” She dragged the younger girl a bit further from me, back-facing me while she whispers something to Yuju.

I couldn’t exactly hear what they’re saying, but Yuju’s reactions are obvious.

“You what?! How?! I thought—“ It makes me frown though.

Just what Byulyi has been saying to her family about me? She can’t be pretending to have me as her girlfriend, right? No, that must not be it, her mother knows we’re only best friends. It’s a little hard to think Byulyi would have the idea of lying to her family about her girlfriend, moreover using me. I mean, I won’t disagree if she ever asks me to do it.

“I thought you two are together already!”

“SHUSH!”

“You two!” I felt my cheeks are starting to burn after I heard it.

Seriously, I tried to stay away from their conversations – trying to not eavesdrop whatever they’re on about just a few feet away from me – but seriously, they are talking about me and I can clearly hear their voices. I want to just ask them what does it mean by Yuju thinking we’re together already, but I’m more concerned about their mother and father inside the house, Byulyi must left the dining room to look for me before everyone finish dinner as well and I bet they’re waiting for us.

“We need to get inside now.” I muttered, making my way to the front door. “I’m starting to freeze out here.”

“Well, you came here by yourself.” Was all Byulyi said before taking my hand in hers.

I didn’t bother to look at her. “Shut up.”

“You get inside too,” Byulyi looked back at Yuju. “Or else I’ll drag you myself.”

Yuju scoffs at her, following us from behind. “Like you drag your unnie?”

“Yuju.”

“Alright, okay, I’ll stop!”

It was as if we entered a different dimension once all three of us came back inside the dining room. Byulyi’s mother have that concerned look while her father seems to not changing his expression. Yuju broke the silence with a bow and a greeting and soon we took our own seats. All the while through the dinner, Yuju was sending several glares at her father’s way, Byulyi just ignored her sister and continue eating as if nothing weird is happening.

Her mother seems to be trying to find a good timing to talk.

I let out a sigh that is audible enough for Byulyi to turn to look at me. She must know that I don’t like this atmosphere and wishing that we can be done with this dinner asap because after we shared a look, she cleared .

She used the napkin to wipe the corner of . “We’ll be staying here until January 1st.” She casually announced, putting down the napkin on the table. Then she laid her back on her chair, eyes on her mother. “Until when is he going to stay here, Eomma?”

By now, everyone was done with their dinner and focus on the current topic.

“He’s staying for good, Byul-ah.”

“And you let him? After all he did?” I heard the sigh from Miss Moon, despite the calm and collected Byulyi right now, she still seems annoyed with her father’s presence. “Yuju won’t stay around if he’s around, you know that very well.”

“Thank you for pointing it out, sist.”

They shared a look. Yuju grins and Byulyi barely even smile.

“Byul-ah, we need to talk it out. I know, he’s done so many horrible things—“

“Don’t try to talk in his place, Eomma.” Byulyi leans forward on the table, still looking calm. “If he has something to say to me or Yuju, he needs to come up front and say it.” She lets out a sigh as she stands up, she already has my hand in hers while tugging me to get up from my chair without a word.

I could see on the corner of my eye when her father clenches on the spoon in his hand a little tighter than he should – he probably will break it any time soon or even throw it at Byulyi’s way. “He has time before today ends to convince me that he’s worthy enough to be staying at our house. In all those years that he’s gone, I’m in charge of everything and that is including letting a stranger stay in here or not. He should be grateful we’re not calling the police on him.”

“I’m going to my room.” And that’s when I felt another tug on my hand. I quickly bow at the remaining people still sitting on the table – although, I saw Yuju also did the same almost immediately, getting up her chair while saying “Wait up, unnie!”

Byulyi took us up the stairs to her room and I remained silent while Yuju being all proud of her big sister.

“That was so cool! After four years, you became ten times cooler, unnie!”

“You’re being too loud.” Byulyi and I walked inside Byulyi’s room. I sat myself on the bed, grabbing my purse to check on my phone, but when I look up, I saw Byulyi turned around and face the younger girl. “Wait, what do you want here?” Byulyi asked.

“Uh, talk with you?”

Byulyi turns to me before answering to Yuju. Coming up to me as she kneeling on one foot. “Wash up and wear something warm, it’s even colder at night. I’ll fetch you later, okay?” I nodded at her and she left with Yuju after rubbing the top of my head and smiled at me.

“I’ll keep her safe, Yongsun-unnie! Don’t worry!” I chuckled at Yuju’s words.

Really, she’s an energetic girl and I’m not saying it’s the complete opposite of Byulyi, but I think the two are a great pair of sisters. Yuju is straightforward, more childish, full of energy and from what I heard, she’s the type that isn’t very good at keeping down her emotional side. While Byulyi is more calm, mature, she’s also tireless, a little bit an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter