Nineteen

Taste.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“No, that’s not how you do it.”

“Shut up.” She snickered. “I’m trying my best here.”

“Yeah, but you’re not doing it the right way.”

I received a glare than a reply.

You know, today is the day Byulyi takes her sisters out to the ice skate ring. My mind was already in semi fangirling mode thinking Moon Byulyi on ice, sliding like a pro, will make her look oh-so-flawlessly-beautiful, until we waited in line and she put her lips close to my ear. “Seriously, I can’t skate.” Was all she said and I was dumbfounded. From the way her eyes went wide, she must know that I have this high expectation in her on the ice ring. She only gives me an apologetic smile and continue staring at ahead as we wait in line.

Surprisingly, not only she can’t skate, she also a quite thick-headed.

Byulyi managed to get up and hold on to the side-rails, her legs look wobbly as if she’s drunk of alcohol but no, she’s a hundred-percent sober. She is just having a hard time balancing herself with the skate shoes. I could see her sweating from all the efforts she did and I couldn’t help but approach her with my handkerchief then wiping her sweat. For her to be able to sweat in such cold weather amazed me a little. She didn’t protest at my caring gesture, she smiles at me and I take it as her silent ‘thank you’.

She took a deep breath and just stay in her spot, still holding on the side-rails but now her eyes stare off into the distance—okay, not exactly that, she was staring at her sisters. Umji is very good at ice skating and Yuju, oh wow, she looks as if she’s born with this talent and they were playing around the ring, chasing one another until Yuju stopped and bend down to match Umji’s height, she whispered something. The next thing, Yuju went a bit further than Umji.

I frown at the sight, what is she going to do? My guts tell me she’s going to show something amazing and indeed I was right.

Yuju runs in her skating shoes, then somehow leaps in the air high enough for her to do the quick 360 spins twice, finishing it by landing on the flat surface perfectly. She has this huge smile on her face and some other skaters who are around gives her a round of applause. Me? I was too mesmerized to even blink my eyes. Yuju looked so beautiful doing it and it makes me wonder if she practiced that trick many times before because I’m sure it doesn’t look as easy as it does. Actually, it didn’t look easy at all.

“She’s really good, right?”

I nodded almost immediately, eyes still looking at Umji and Yuju from afar. The two noticed that I’ve been watching when they turn and waved at our way, I return it with a smile—not that they can see it though, I decided to also give them a small hand wave too. “Did she take an ice skating class or something? The jump earlier looked like it was something a professional would do.”

“Nope,” Byulyi exhaled harshly, getting my attention back to her. She’s trying to stand without holding on. “She—uh” She almost lose her balance but her hand was fast enough to grab onto the rail again. “Okay, this is definitely not easy—so, as I was saying, she’s a self-taught in this thing.”

Seeing Byulyi struggle isn’t very pleasant to say the least, but every time I try to tell her that she’s doing it wrong, she will either snicker or glare at me. “Self-taught? A-amazing.” To be honest, I’m starting to get a little distracted watching Byulyi while keeping up the current conversation.

“Yeah—whoa!”

“Byul!” She slipped, again, but before her meets the frozen hard ice I was fast enough to grabbed her arm and keep her steady. I sighed, a little annoyed. “Seriously, it is more amazing knowing the fact Yuju could be born with this talent while you can’t even stand on both legs without losing your balance.” Irony.

With the way she made a face at me, I know she was going to snicker at my words but somehow it never came out of her. “We both have our own shares, okay? She can skate, I can’t. I can be greasy, she can’t.”

Wow, really, this girl.

By now you should know, Moon Byulyi is being serious when she considers her “greasy-self” is a talent. I don’t know, probably me, Wheein and Hwasa don’t share the same opinion. We would rather call it a curse than a talent.

“I swear you can come up with something better than that.”

Seriously, she can just brag about her rapping skill or dancing skill or maybe even her singing skill—something I found out just yesterday and still amazes me when that same night I asked her to sing something for me. Remembering last night actually makes all the blush creeps up to my face and I can feel myself getting embarrassed.

“Sing something.”

She stops in her track and just froze there. “…what?”

I got up from the comfortable bed and from under the blanket to stand right in front of her. Excitement was all written in my eyes and suddenly I feel like excitedly jumping while repeating my request.

“Byulyi, sing me something. Any song. I want to hear you sing.”

“Uh, no.” I immediately form a pout, one that never failed to make Byulyi change her mind. She struggles a little, trying to look elsewhere bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter