In the aftermath of the night

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

Author's Note:

Disclaimers: I don't own any of the characters, places, names, etc (only the OCs -e.g. Kasumi ). It all belongs to Sigeaki Kubo & LDH project


~ Act Eight: Act Seven: In the aftermath of the night ~


The inevitable or necessary fate to which a particular person is destined; no one can avoid it. And Destiny was what hit the Hoodlum Squad again. Destiny can be delayed but not denied. Though Cobra, Yamato, Tettsu, Chiharu and Dan didn't want to believe. They didn't want to accept that Noboru was hit by a car. Time had frozen for them, and everything moved in a slow motion. The black car hitting Noboru. Noboru crashing against the ground bleeding. Kasumi that ran over, and called the ambulance. The ambulance picking Noboru up. Reaching the hospital. Even if Noboru went under surgery. No one reacted. Everything seemed like a lie.

Outside the surgery room, where they were waiting. Dan was Slowly hitting it against the wall. Tettsu walked up and down the hall. Mumbling to himself "It's not truth! Its not!". Yamato and Cobra were sitting, their heads almost reaching the floor. Kasumi was on the phone, calling Naomi to tell her what had happened. The surgery lasted for a few hours. Naomi with few others reached the hospital. And everyone was waiting. After the surgery finished, the doctors spoke to Kasumi. They informed her that Noboru was in a coma. His condition was serious. No one could see him today. If tomorrow he was doing better, they would transfer him to another room. And they could visit him.

Kasumi strode where everyone was. She stopped in front of Cobra and Yamato. Her voice was trembling. How would she be able to tell them, news so bad. Now she was more scared, because she was sure the car belonged to the Iemura family. Things became more complicated. And she was still hiding the fact, that she is the daughter of the Iemura's Leader. She took a deep breath.

"The operation finished... Noboru is in a Coma... They will allow us tomorrow to see him... if he's doing better..." Kasumi said with a breaking voice. She was gazing at the floor. Sad and scared she remained there standing.

Cobra stood up. His gaze, half deadly half sad. He was trying everything to avoid the fight. To avoid things like that. He strolled towards the wall, next to Kasumi. Lifting his punch, and crashing it against the wall. Kasumi lifted her eyes up and gazed at him. He was still keeping his fist against the wall.

"Noboru... We cannot lose Noboru?" Yamato yelled as he looked at Cobra.

Hours passed like that. With everyone crying, yelling until they accepted what had happened. Everyone sitting around. Naomi and Kasumi brought water and something to eat. But no one touched it. It was a rough day for everyone.

"Guys... me and Yamato will stay. You go back and rest." Cobra said suddenly as he was gazing at everyone. It was only then he noticed how exhausted everyone was.

Tettsu shook his head "We are not leaving you guys here. We want to be here." he said loudly.

Yamato that edged towards the door agreed with Cobra. "Cobra is right. You cannot do anything here. Go rest and come back tomorrow. Kasumi you should too. Your family will be worried."

"I don't think they will worry." Naomi said to Yamato as she was placing the water next to them in case they wanted to drink it later.

"What do you mean?" Cobra asked as he gazed at Naomi devastated with what had happened today.

"She left home these morning." Naomi said as she was gazing at Kasumi. But Kasumi didn't looked at them.

"She brought her stuff too." Tettsu added "they are left in Itokan Diner until she finds a place stay."

"She has a lot of suitcases though..." Dan comment as he remembered lifting them up.

"Dan..." Yamato said as he looked serious at him.

Cobra took few seconds to think about it. Kasumi remain standing and gazing at the ground. She didn't say anything. She was mostly lost at her thoughts. 'How can i keep lying to them..' her thoughts were cut when Cobra spoke to her.

"What will you do?" he asked Kasumi "stay here or go with the guys?"

Everyone turned and gazed at him. His questions were bizarre. Normally, Cobra would send everyone home to rest. He would only ask, Yamato or Noboru to stay. It felt somehow that Cobra thought of her as a member or a friend. Kasumi, gazed at him a bit lost. Only then she understood that they were talking about her.

"I am staying here." she said and took few steps and sat down.

Cobra gave her a weak nod agreeing with her. Though, his heart beat lost a strike that time as he listened at Kasumi saying that she would stay. "Dan, Tetysu taker her things from the Itokan Diner. If they are so many, they will bother Naomi. Take them in my room, next to the Gas station." he asked them. The pain for losing Noboru remained. But Cobra would think about everyone, that he thought as a friend. The guys agreed. They were not in good mood to disagree or make any fun. Kasumi confused gazed at Cobra. But before she asked anything, Cobra explained "You can stay there. As long as you want, or until you go home. I have many other places to crash." Kasumi didn't over react, she simply agreed with him.

Minutes later, everyone left. Only, Yamato, Cobra and Kasumi remained. All three had sat down and leaned against the chairs. Yamato dozed off. Cobra couldn't sleep at all. And Kasumi fall asleep with out noticing. She lean against Cobra's shoulder and slept. Cobra, simply pushed her softly a bit back and let her lay against his lap. Of the torment of the day, having Yamato and Kasumi with him would give some light. They remain like that until the next morning.


In the Iemura Group things weren't too good either. They were informed, that the battle ended. And that the SWORD leaders parted in good terms. Also, the act of Cobra that united them. Although he disbanded the Hoodlum Squad. Also that Noboru, returned to them. Lately what ever they plotted against the SWORD went in vein. It wouldn't take much time, for them to plot something new. Something more dangerous. Also, the same night Kasumi's father was told that his daughter left home. That they didn't know were she is. But they would look for her. The Iemura Leader was irritated. He promised he would take the SWORD down, by any means.

Meanwhile, somewhere in the city a new placed opened. They named it "Funk Jungle". The place was owned by Lee. He provided them the hide place. Lee was a South Korean Mafia. He, like the Iemura wanted the SWORD district. Although, until now he lay low. He didn't took yet any actions. But that had changed. He hired the Mighty Warriors, for that reason. But Lee was moving slowly, to do everything correct. He wanted to see results. His next plan was to meet with Kohaku. To success he knew he needed him with his side. And a lost soul like Kohaku was, would be the right trigger.

Ice, Bernie, 9 (Nine), Ryu, Sarah and Pearl were the members of the Mighty Warriors. They come together, as one main reason connected them, money. They needed money to make their dreams come true. Everyone had a different need. The only one, that didn't want the money was Sarah. She just happened to meet up with Ice and became a member. Though she doesn't follow their philosophy. Ice, their leader, Former mercenary. Born poor, he was saved by music when he was young. That's why music is very important for all of them. 9 and Pearl making a deadly combination when fighting. And all of them are a dangerous gang. A very difficult enemy for the SWORD to deal with.


As for the rest of the SWORD leaders, this night was confusing. Cobra's voice was still echoing on their minds. "After me who is next?" The feeling that they have all these time fighting with the wrong people, made them feel worse. But they, as Cobra and the others, had just started to find their ways. All felt lost, and broken. Each of them having their own reason. Though it was enough, to bring a breeze of change.

Smokey, ended like every night under the bridge next to the harbor. His illness would kick in, more often than before, these days. At the Heaven Club Rocky was sitting alone in the first floor. It was a rare occasion for the club to be empty. Rocky wasn't wearing any sunglasses, or anything. He looked different. You could recognize the look on his eyes. These night he wasn't hiding behind his sunglasses. He remembered. The man who treated his mother and his sister badly. They called him, his father. How could he be called a father. He was so young, but he can still recall. The day he entered the living room, and watched his mother and sister hanging. These night, was the night he found them years ago. And he spends that night on his own. No sounds, no girls, no parties. Just emptiness, soundless room lost in darkness. He remained like that all night.

Murayama, wasn't any different. Since he had the fight with Cobra he has questioned his ways. Being the leader of Oya High made no sense. He would walk around with Furuya and Seki. But these night he was sitting in a random place, around the Sannoh district. He used his baseball and threw to the wall. The Wall returned it back. But one of his throws were faster and harder. It touched the wall and flew through the other direction. "Ouch" a girly voice filled the silent night. Murayama, found were the yell come from and run over. He had hit Oshiage from the Ichigo Milk; one of the twins."Did i hit you?" he asked her. Oshiage was ready to beat him badly. "Xor.." she yelled and stood up with a Yankee attitude ready to strike him. Though she pause suddenly while gazing at him. Flowers blossomed all around Murayama. And one of the twins fell in love, in first sight. She couldn't say anything. She just stood up an run away. Living Murayama confused of her actions.

Hyuga was the only one of the Leaders that had some sleep that night. He had spend so many nights awake. Hitting his fists against the floor. As he was waiting the day to take his revenge. But tonight, thanks to Cobra he could finally sleep. Restoring the name of the Hyuga Group was still in his plans. But he would not do it by destroying the SWORD. Cobra was right there. The Daruma Ikka were in peace after a long time now.

These was a night of mystery. All of them spend their night in a way they usually didn't. It was a night they good let their guard down. Be their selves. When the morning comes, nothing will be the same. Problems will be still there, and more will come.

((Next:: Act Nine ))


Side Note:

More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!