'' inner voice!

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

It was dark. Deep night had fallen. There were many clear stars, the fast-warming moon would be seen till late. Though his eyes were open now; his heart was pounding, mind empty. He could not think of why. It's as if a hypodermic of adrenaline emptied into his carotid. He strained into the utter darkness and his breathing rate began to steady. Without a doubt he knew he slept too long. After all he was exhausted and need all the sleep of the world. In the blackness he moved slowly enough to make no sound, fast enough to reach the covers.

In his own surprise, he was not sleeping alone. His memory was still grey and far, but he slowly put the puzzle together. Expect of his angry speech at the Kokuhakudou Station, that was tantamount to a declaration of war with Kuryu Group. That he was tortured and almost died. That they finally saved SWORD, the casino plan was destroyed and Kuryu brought down. If all that was not enough, he ended up sleeping with Kasumi. He did not regret, nevertheless.

After so many years of sleeping alone every action was automatic, reflexive, efficient. Waking up was no longer unpleasant. True be told, it was weird sleeping next to another human being. Specially one he was very font off. First aware of the coolness of the air and it's loamy fragrance, while he rolled out of the covers. He made a small pause only stare at the girl that was still sleeping next to him. He leaned in and kissed her forehead, softly covering her up.

Pain throbbed so violently around his skull that he wondered why it didn't just crack open. Cobra leaned against the wall trying to balance. Today would be on of those days his body would be sore after all the beaten he was through. He could not complain though. Pain was regular factor in his life. He hated it. After all who would love pain. He decided to men up and get dressed. Few steps away from his bed, he stood in front of his dresser. After coming cross a clean pair of jeans and a clean black shirt. He got dressed and walked outside.

He lit up a cigarette and checked his phone. It was already 3 in the morning. He made a puffed and exhaled the smoke sitting on the bench. The cold breeze against his body made him shake a bit. His mind started to recalled what had happened hours ago. Indeed he enjoyed every minute with Kasumi. Yet, he was not sure about Kasumi. Because his memory rang the day back in time, as Kasumi was offended by him kissing her. He remembered her saying it was her first kiss. Probably, this was also her first time. He smoke and gazed at the open sky above him, tolerating with himself.

Inside the room, Kasumi awoke without warning, eyes flung so wide each iris was a perfect orb of dark chocolate. After a second or two her head turned like some Halloween dummy, mouth slackened, "I know what happened..." she mumbled. She sat up on the bed as the covers fall down against the bed, revealing her body. She looked at her frame and blushed. Her heart was pouncing in a fast pace, ready to run away from her chest. She noticed that Cobra was not sleeping any longer. She gathered up herself and stood up. She stumbled in the darkness finding her long shirt and her . She got dressed and picked up Cobras Jacket and wore it. Next she stepped outside.

She crossed her arms around her chest and gazed at the man seating outside. Her cheeks blushed as she stared at his flawless form. Indeed it was her first time. And she was never the type that had any experience if it came to ual . Normally, she would make such a big mess. Complain here and there, acting like she did when Cobra kissed her back then. Honestly now, she did not care. If it was her first time or her last, the point was that she slept with Cobra. She spent a night with that wild Yankee, that had won her heart. Her 'ert inner voice' kept cheering happily noting that attractive male was now hers. Only to make her blush more and filled totally ''. She never knew her inner self was a total ert.

"How long are you going to stare me, Baka?" Cobra quizzed breaking her inner thoughts. He gazed at her upon his shoulder and tapped his hand against the bench gesturing her to go sit with him.

"Eh? I was not staring!" she cried out at her defense as she walked over and sat next to him. "Why would I stare? You think I am a ert or what?" she reacted suspicious. Her cheeks were still burning and that 'damn' voice could not stop cheering. The only positive sign was that she felt no longer butterflies in her stomach. At least for now.

He rose an eyebrow cautious "Oi! That was not my thought. But I have to reconsider now?" He chuckled at her response it was simply cute and priceless. "What were you imagining, Baka?" he said and ruffled her hair. "Is Kasumi okay?" he asked her suddenly serious.

She tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and dropped her gaze. "Nani mo! (Nothing!)" she replied with her fingers still playing with her hair "Yet, you may be right. My inner voice is a total ert."she backfired with out overthinking what she said. She gazed at the ground with her legs swing a bit uncomfortable "Hm!" she nodded "I am fine! More than fine!" she said with a big smile and gazed at him. "And Cobra-san?" she questioned.

Cobra stretched and yawn listening at her. The ert comment amused him. The innocent part of Kasumi to speak her mind out was worthy. "At least you admitted yourself." he chuckled. "Ah! Few aches here and there." was his answer. Next he cast a fast glance over her noticing she was wearing his black jacket. "You know this one is dirty!" he said and pointed at the jacket. He was wearing it after all through all the downfall with Kuryu. "Basically it should stink!" he mocked her.

"Ie! (No!)" she clapped in delay as she sniffed it "It smells all Cobra!" were her words as she pulled it closer around her.

"I do not know you. You are all turning a ert!" he smirked as he finished smoking his cigar and throw it away. "Neh! Let's go for a ride?" he suggested. As he jumped up and inside wore his shoes and grabbed his bike keys. He leaped on his bike, turned the engine on and waited for her.

Kasumi slapped a hand over acting shocked. She nodded and followed him. She wore her pink running shoes and her shorts and climbed on the bike behind him. "Were are we going?" she asked him.

"Does it really matter?" Cobra asked, while casting a glance above his shoulder.

She shook her head, wrapped her arms around him and leaned her head on his shoulder. Cobra drove off.


Kasumi held tight to the Boy driving his motorbike. Dressed in his warm jacket she bowed towards him sensing the white salt spray that came crashing right over the sea wall. Through squinting eyes she watched the sight of the waves, as finally Cobra stopped and turned off the engine at the end of the coastline. The roaring and pounding obliterated all other sounds and her mind was awash with exhilaration. A layer of salt was soon encrusted her eyelashes and she could taste it over her cracked lips.

The leader of Hoodlum Squad spread his arm and arched his back. He mumbled a few 'it- hurt-sounds' and stretched. Kasumi jumped off the bike running towards the open coast watching at the Sea. The view was rusted and industrial, yet it has a prettiness on its own. He massaged the back of his neck and leaped of his bike following Kasumi. He sat down at an enormous wooden branch and extended his legs letting his eyes enjoying the view.

The expanse of unwelcoming grey stretched far in front and far behind, like an ocean of rock. After she had enough of salt and grey sight, Kasumi walked back and sat next to Cobra. She rested her head against his shoulder, while both watched at the grey sky that was slowly changing colors as the sun wanted to show itself. Cobra wrapped his arm around her and kept her close. As if he wanted to state that she was his, and only his.

Of course he knew, and he knew it well that she did not belong to anyone. Since the first day the met, he noted it. Kasumi was a fearless soul and a rebel one. Those two things grabbed his attention. Yet, she also seemed so far from his reach. And deeply he feared it, that she would eventually spread her wings one day and fly away. She was made for more. There was no way, a girl like her would ever stay around Sannoh. The was a world she could conquer and Cobra did not fit in that world. Though, for now he decided to ignore that thought.

As for Kasumi, she never really wanted more for what she already had. She had finally a place she could call home. For her Sannoh Rengokai was not just a region in SWORD. For her it slowly became home. There she had friends. Friends she could trust. Friends that had honor and were loyal. On the other hand, she was also entrusted by them. Even if to survive daily, could be a major fight. She had found peace, freedom and family there. She could add 'Love'. But the word Love was such a big word, she could not simply touch it.

The couple, if couple you dared call them, remain there watching the sun raise. The hug, was followed for a few kisses. And when it was finally morning and the town was coming back to life, they decided to return home. They walked towards Cobra's bike, as he was toying with his keys a bit lost in his thoughts. And she walked behind him gazing at his back and cheering on with her ert thoughts.

Cobra ended the walk as they reached his bike. He turned suddenly around and gazed at her. His eyes pinned against Kasumi "About last night..." he said and for a moment he lost his words. 'Xor' he never lost his words what was the matter with him. "It was not a mistake... I mean I wanted it to happen." he clarified. Of course he was ready to punch himself at his pathetic act. He sighed dropping his gaze for once. Fighting seemed easier than moments like those. He never had issues to speak out his feelings. Why was he now acting like a lost child?

Kasumi blushed, her butterflies started bugging her again inside her stomach. Her heart found the fast pace and pounced. Her inner voice was making again, its own ert party. And her mind was ready to see fireworks. "Me too..." she only managed to whisper. As Cobra cut her off as he leaned in and wrapped his arms around her pulling her closer and kissing her deeply. He was never good with words after all. The fireworks explode in her mind during that kiss.

Moments later, he broke the kiss and pinched her cheeks. His eyes lit as he gave her a genius smile. One that Kasumi rare saw. Next he turned and leaped on his bike. If he kept gazing at Kasumi any longer, he would break down on the ground unable to walk. He locked the keys inside and the engine. Kasumi sat behind him, hiding her face against his back. He drove back at Sannoh Rengokai.

Inside his room, they did the laundry and cleaned a bit the room. Kasumi wore a formal attire. A black suit, black button shirt and black high heels. Her mind was wheeling and over-planned her day so the '' voice could finally shut up. Cobra had also to show up around the Gas station. Help around and set everything back to normal.

"I will have some breakfast at Naomi's then my day should be busy." she said to Cobra as both exited the room and were walking towards their bikes.

"I'll be at the Gas station." he said as he wore his jacket and gazed at Kasumi "You have classes?" he asked her.

She nodded "I do. Yet, I was thinking to drive by the nameless city and see how things are there." she reported.

"Rude Boys?" he quizzed as he leaped on his bike.

"Ie! (No!) More about Lala and the Kids. Honestly, I have had a thought. But I will be sure after talking with them." Kasumi responded back as she sat on her own bike. She wore her helmet.

"Nah! Are you not overdress?" he mocked her as he gazed her from head to toe. "Anyway, be careful around the nameless city. Parts are polluted and examined now by higher forces."

Kasumi stack her tongue out at the dressing code comment. "I have more things to do, and I cannot lose my time driving back and for to change." she defended herself. "Hai, Cobra-san! I will be careful." she and drove off.

Cobra titled his head in fake anger watching her leave. He smiled and drove with his bike in front of the Gas station. His mind although was bound around Kasumi. It seemed it would be a long day for the Leader of Sannoh Rengokai. And his day was only starting.


"Come now Guys! Stop winning!" Naomi cried out for one more time. All morning Dan and Chiharu were poking her about not having any girls. About what they should do with their lives now. They were sobbing in one corner of the Diner. In the other corner Shiba and Nonoriki cried out for the same reason. Naomi was losing it and she would soon drag them out.

Kasumi strolled into the diner and took a seat against the counter. She gazed at the four and propped her head to the left. She wrapped her arms around herself "What is going on?" she puzzled "Why are they crying? Naomi?"

"Love, they want also to be in a relationship!" Naomi responded throwing her arms in the air. "Can you believe those were the same guys that dealt with Kuryu?" she said astonished. "What will you have?" she asked Kasumi.

Kasumi laughed and faced her "A regular coffee and a toast. Maybe two toasts I am hungry!" she noted.

Naomi nodded and served an ice black coffee and few toasts. "You seem different today. The outfit.. No! Something happened?" Naomi quizzed as she found the aura around Kasumi different.

Kasumi played with her straw and blushed "Ie! (No!) Everything is the same!" she uttered loudly.

She felt like something was going on "You are glowing! What are you hiding?" Naomi tried to find out what caused her to be in a shinny mode.

Kasumi was cut off before even opening by Yamato. He had just entered the room hungry and sleepy, he just replied. "Cobra and she... slept together!" he announced as he sat down.

Silence overtook the diner. Kasumi hid her face behind her plate. Not sure how Yamato would know. Naomi called him "Baka!" For telling it out loudly. And the winning four started only crying more. "Wait!" said Dan "Kasumi slept before in the same bed with Cobra that does not mean anything!"

Sleepy Yamato after arguing with Naomi corrected Dan. "Silly they did not sleep. They did it! Are you guys finally dating?" Yamato asked her.

"I will Kill you!" Naomi yelled at him and threw him a towel. The group of four went into shock. How could that Cobra have a girl, right? Tettsu and Nikka were actually happy with the news. Cobra deserved some happiness in his grey life.

Kasumi coughed as she chocked. "No, Naomi! I will kill him first. Who told you?" shouted Kasumi and jumped from her seat ready to attack Yamato.

"Cobra told me. I just met him!" Yamato revealed still in a sleepy and resting state like nothing had happened. "He is so in trouble now!" cheered Yamato.

Kasumi glared at him "Cobra told you?" she yelled "What the heck?" She pumped a fist and hit it against the counter "He is dead!" he declared and tried to walked off. But was stopped by Yamato.

"Hey! Wait! He did not tell me what happened. Half of the story I guessed it only by watching the poor guy. And the rest he was mumbling. So, give him a break." Yamato explained at her. "The sleeping part, I was not sure that happened. But since you react like that. I was right!"

Kasumi smacked Yamato's head and withdrew "Jane, I am going to leave. Before I end up killing someone." She waved and exited the Diner.

Yamato laughed as he went over to Naomi "Give me some food woman!" As Naomi was glaring at him. "What? Ugly? Hey when will we..." he asked but was smacked once more by Naomi.

((Next:: Act Twenty-Nine))


More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!