Lower than High

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

Author's Note:

✘ Don't miss Kasumi's change.

Disclaimers: I don't own any of the characters, places, names, etc (only the OCs -e.g. Kasumi ). It all belongs to Sigeaki Kubo & LDH project


~ Act Ten: Lower than High ~


The higher sometimes we try to reach, the lower we end up. It doesn't matter how hard we tried to keep ourselves there, sometimes it throws us back at the lower point. Though even if its the lowest, maybe it's has something to teach us.

Kasumi was also in there point of her life, that she couldn't go higher. The way she could only follow was the lowest. Few days had already passed, and she remained hiding at the Heaven Club. Though Rocky thought, it was not the place for her to be. Although, she was feminine and could easy fit in Heaven. There was something more in Kasumi. Though she also had not found it. Rocky asked her to follow him. They went to a spa spring. A friend of Rocky's owned. She would always take care of the ladies. The hairstyle, the make up, everything could be done there in the best ways.

"I can hide you in Heaven Club, but there is not the place for you to be." Rocky told her as they took a seat in the spa. "Will you follow me?" He asked her.

Kasumi gazed at him curious. She nodded agreeing with him. "Alright, I will trust you!" she replied.

"Let's start by removing those contact leans. Don't tell me you have purple eyes." Rocky mocked her.

Kasumi hesitated at first. But since she promised to follow Rocky on these she pulled them off. Rocky pointed at her at the trash can. Kasumi sighed and threw them in. She looked too different now. Her eyes were dark brown. They had a unique color. Kasumi gazed at the mirror. She didn't like her eye color.

"See you already started to look different. Kasumi if you try to pretend someone that you are not. In the end you may become that person." Rocky told her as he was looking at her hair. "Don't tell me you have curly hair?" he asked her.

She shook her head. "My natural hair are straight. Though the color is natural." she explained.

Rocky spoke with the owner what he had in mind. Short hair above the neck, Not too short with layers and right bang. The color Light Ash blond with highlights. It took few hours to get the right hairstyle. But when it was ready. Kasumi would only need to wash her hair and dry it. And it would take that shape. Though since her hair was black, Rocky told her to visit the owner every month. She would fix Kasumi color and length.

Kasumi gazed at the mirror, and looked buzzed. She looked so different. Like another person. The haircut, made her face to loose the roundness. Her face looked thinner now. She looked at Rocky "What now?" she asked him.

"We aren't done. No more make up. You don't need it. And some Skin whitening or skin lightening." he suggested.

Few more hours later the make up was gone, and Kasumi looked really pale. With no heels on, even her height was different. It was like another person. Rocky pointed her in some clothes. The clothes seemed casual. A pair of jeans and a black shirt, with some random running shoes. Though with the clothes were a chest corset and odd men underwear.

"Your chest with out the bra is almost flat. If you were the chest corset it look total flat. The underwear have extra layer to look like .. em you have males parts." Rocky explained at her. "What I am telling you is. To pose as a boy for now on. It's the best way for you to be safe. Go try those on" he said.

Kasumi took the clothing, she went in the changing room and wore them. The change was amazing. She looked like a pretty boy. Nothing on her was giving up it was Kasumi. She came out, confused. "I look like someone else!" she said still not sure why Rocky would have her change that much.

He waved at her to come closer pointer at her at a rucksack. "There are few more clothes, and ID card and a phone. Though you have to drop two more of you acts, and no one would really recognize you." he told her.

Kasumi nodded. Until now what Rocky suggested was on point. Indeed she looked like someone else. "What are those?" she asked him.

"Stop trying to keep perfect pinch on your voice. Let it out naturally. As well as you walking. Just walk normally. Don't put an effort." Rocky suggested and waited her to see her trying it.

Kasumi started walking up and down. With no heels, and walking freely her body figure had changed. She wasn't walking all straight, though her shoulder were more back. She also talked with out trying changing her voice. The voice was sweeter, but not perfect and some how annoying.

Rocky nodded at her "There I don't think they will recognize you. You only need a new name now"

Kasumi gazed at him "But still posing like a boy? and telling lies again?"

"There is no other way. Also you look more natural now, than you ever posted. As for the lies. Bare them for now. Now about your name. Ren...Sasaki Ren. Remember to use it all." Rocky told her.

"Sasaki Ren..." Kasumi repeated "I will forget it." she added. The changes were too big. But everything was new on her. It was a great transformation. And it would last, because she wouldn't need to act. She only had to keep it natural and simple. "Then were will I go?" she asked last.

"Putting you inside the SWORD will be the best way. With us you cannot stay like that. In Oya High, Murayama is till dealing with being the head. Since he lost with the fight with Cobra there have been issues. You couldn't go there. Rude Boys, also a No. Smokey illness got worse. They will not keep an eye on you. Daruma Ikka, next. Hyuga is still looking his way back." Rocky stopped there.

Kasumi gazed up at him "Eh? Then?" she asked, not wanting to hear his answer.

Rocky gazed at her back "Hoodlum Squad... I helped with Miho. If i wanted them to keep an eye for someone close for me. They would." he said.

Kasumi walked up and down "I cannot do that. It's been only few days i walked out of there. I cannot go back with more lies. No way. No." she voiced.

"Listen. What you said the day you come here it's true. Iemura will strike. And they plotting something big. You can go on your own. Or you can stay close to what you can protect. As for the lies. When the time come we will explain. What will you do?" Rocky asked her. Truth was he would never send a girl, to do a boys work. But Kasumi wasn't any girl. She was the daughter of the Iemura Leader. The only daughter. Rocky could tell she was raised apart from that world. But there was some Iemura inside her. If she was strong to leave everything behind. And find her way. The best place would be in Hoodlum Squad. There she had people that she cared, and they cared about her.

Rocky, spent the few days and found what he needed. Word was out that the Hoodlum Squad members were looking for Kasumi. He gathered them, with out Cobra and ensured them that Kasumi was save. And that he knew exactly were Kasumi was. Also, the reaction of Cobra and Kasumi when talking for each other, told him anything he needed to know. Her place was back at Hoodlum Squad. And if she couldn't stand there as Kasumi. At least she should stand as Ren.

"Let's go! I'll take you there now" Rocky said. He walked and paid the owner. He took Kasumi and drove her over to Hoodlum Squad.


At Itokan Diner, times looked just a bit brighter, only because Noboru was back alive. Also, knowing that Kasumi was safe, made them feel better. Only Cobra had no news about Kasumi. And he didn't want to listen anything about her. Maybe it was because he cared too much. Maybe he had his own reasons. It was almost dinner time, when the door open and Rocky walked in. With him was a very short boy. He couldn't be higher than 4'9. His Light Ash hair made made him look unfamiliar. "Yo! Cobra!" Rocky said and walked over were he was sitting. The boy remained standing at the door.

"What?" Cobra asked him. He was not in the mood to talk with Rocky. He gazed at the boy, it didn't look familiar.

"I need a favor" Rocky asked him. Everyone in the store turned and gazed at Rocky, and then at the boy.

"He needs a place to stay. Keep him away from trouble. You have a place here?" Rocky asked Cobra serious.

Cobra looked at Kasumi, that was now looking like a boy. She didn't look familiar. He nodded. "He can stay with us." Cobra agreed.

"His name Sasaki Ren. If you could keep him close to you. It would be safer." Rocky said and stood up. He waved at them and walked over to the door. He tapped Kasumi in the shoulder and left.

Dan and Tettsu walked over and almost dragged the boy inside. "He is Dan and I am Tettsu. Come sit." Tettsu told him as they pulled him into a seat.

Kasumi, who seemed more ashamed and lost, than shy. How could she face them again. Though avoiding them wouldn't make it any better. She stood up and bowed. "I am Sasaki Ren. Nice to meet you!" she yelled sounding oddly.

Chiharu, Yamato and Naomi waved at her. "Welcome. Don't be shy. These one is Cobra. But he doesn't talk these days!" Yamato said mocking him.

Cobra gazed at him angry and stood up. He walked close to the new boy and stood next to him. "You are really short." Cobra told him.

Kasumi cracked a smile and nodded. She really had no idea how to react. Things were already bad, and now she was there again lying at them. "I am short." Kasumi nodded.

Cobra took few steps and stopped "Follow me. Take your things." he said as he wanted to show her around.

Kasumi picked up her rucksack and followed Cobra. She bowed and said bye to the others as she followed Cobra. Seemed like they didn't recognize Kasumi. Cobra walked her around showing her Yamato Garage, the Bar Odake. "There are places someone of us will always be. Though we mostly are in Itokan Diner. Be around those parts." he explained to her dryly. Then they had reached the Hino Gas station. Cobra, showed her the room. "You can stay here. These place lately is to small for me to stay." Cobra said. He never entered the room.

Kasumi threw the bag inside the room, closed the door and followed him. Cobra paused and gazed at her. "Are you a dog or what? You don't need to follow me!" he said and walked off.

Kasumi confused and heart broken gazed at the Hino station. She walked inside the Gas station. She had no idea what to say. She just Randomly spoke "I am Sasaki Ren, friends of Cobra. Since Cobra let me stay around i would love to help."

The old man that was Cobra's father, smiled at her. There was not much to do. Most of the work was done by him, his wife, and some worker. And Cobra for time to time. "So you are Janpei's friend. There isn't much to do." he said.

Kasumi titled her head, her ash colored hair moved freely. "Janpai?" she asked confused.

"I forgot. You call him Cobra." his dad said.

"Wait then his name is Janpai." Kasumi yelled and gazed at the gas station Logo " Aaa Hino Janpai." she figured out.

His dad nodded at her. Kasumi cracked a smile.

Meanwhile at the Itokan Diner, everyone was talking about the new kid. How cute he looked. That when Noboru come back, what his reaction would be. Though still Kasumi, was missed. But everyone was trying to avoid mention her. Cobra and Yamato were visiting Noboru. Cobra had to give him the letter that Miho left for him. Since Noboru was doing a bit better now. Although, the letter was more heart breaking.

Kasumi went back at Itokan Diner. It took only few hours and the new boy seemed sweet and was welcomed. When Yamato and Cobra came back they rest were already eating and talking like they were old friends.

"How was Noboru?" Naomi asked Yamato as he took a seat next to her.

"He is doing better. They are saying in a few days he can come out of the hospital." Yamato gave them the happy news.

Naomi leaned closer to him and whispered "You will never guess what Ren found out about Cobra."

Yamato gazed at her asking what. But Naomi told him to wait and see. "Ren why don't you say what you wanted to Cobra-san" Naomi asked Kasumi.

She gazed at him. Though her way of talking, and walking looked nothing like Kasumi's. She went over to Cobra "You left too soon i never manage to thank you." Kasumi said. Trying not to sound like her old self she added "Thank you Janpai-san" and bowed.

The room looked at her and started laughing. They couldn't stop. No one was calling Cobra Janpai anymore. Since elementary school he was called Cobra. Also the name would just annoy Cobra. He gazed at her. "Were did you hear that name?" he asked her. Kasumi, even as Ren caught his attention.

"Why are you laughing.. you guys?" she asked confused. "You dad told me!" Kasumi said simply.

Cobra was more annoyed. That boy was there like few hours. And he found out his real name. Met his father. "Anyway don't call me that!" Cobra said annoyed.

Kasumi nodded "You are right, we just met. I shouldn't use your first name. I am sorry Hino-san!" she said and bowed again.

Cobra's eyes rolled. Was she that stupid or was she trying to annoying him. "Cobra... the damn name is Cobra." he yelled at him and took a seat.

Kasumi nodded. 'Why would i call him Cobra.' Her reaction was a mess. Though talking with Cobra like that was easier. If they ever dropped the tones, and become friendlier, Kasumi wasn't sure she could handle it. Being mad at each other made the lies pass better for now. "Alright, then Hino-san it is!" she said and went to seat.

Everyone looked at her and smiled. Talking back to Cobra, when he was angry only one person did it with out fear. Kasumi. And although that one was a boy, that did not looked like her. That point looked so familiar. That was one reason Cobra came to hate the boy. The second was, she some how smelled like her. 'How could a boy smell like her?'

Chiharu walked over and punched Kasumi against her shoulder. She kept forgetting she was a boy now. "Ren don't look so serious!" he said at her.

Kasumi turned smiling at him "I was just spacing out!" she told him.

((Next:: Act Eleven))


Side Note:

More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!