It's a Boy-Girl Thing

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

Author's Note:

Disclaimers: I don't own any of the characters, places, names, etc (only the OCs -e.g. Kasumi ). It all belongs to Sigeaki Kubo & LDH project


~ Act Thirteen: It's a Boy-Girl Thing ~


The entrance door opened, Cobra and Noboru walked inside. They faces were serious, and they were talking. Both waved at Chiharu and Kasumi, who were already in the Itokan Diner. Then they sat on the red sofa at the end of the store. Kasumi, climbed off the counter, and reached behind the bar. Pulled two red plastic cups, she poured soda and ice cubes. She grabbed the cups and walked over, where Cobra and Noboru were sitting. She placed the cups on the table.

"Where is Naomi, and Yamato?" Kasumi asked gazing at Noboru. Looking Cobra at the eyes was still difficult for her.

"She is in Yamato's garage. They will be back later." Noboru noted. He took the cup and had a sip. Cobra only gave an angry gaze at Kasumi. He didn't like the new kid. Maybe he didn't look like Kasumi, but his smell, his body language some how reminded him of her.

Kasumi nodded at Noboru and walked back climbing against the counter. She started talking with Chiharu about the Doubt.

"Why are you avoiding Ren?" Noboru asked him. "He is a good kid. What happened?" Everyone found it odd for Cobra with out a reason not to like someone.

Cobra leaned against Noboru and whispered "He irritates me."

Noboru and Cobra were talking about the last threats around the area. There was nothing secret there. Kasumi leaned against the counter gazing at Cobra.

Chiharu poked her and caught her attention. "Stop staring like that its creepy." he whispered at her.

Kasumi shifted off her daydream "Eh! Well.." she murmured.

Lately, 'Cobra' occupied her mind day and night. There were moments she felt guilty, for lying to him. Other times she felt irritated by him. And lately, she had one more issue. Her face would burn red. Her heart would escape few bits. And there were time she felt butterflies in her chest. She diagnosed herself ill. There could not be any other explanation.

Noboru almost laughed. The way Kasumi acted lately seemed so childish. Even he had noticed the red face and the strange behavior of the new boy. "Cobra, you and Ren? Whats the story?" his friend asked suddenly. "What did you do to the poor kiddo, to look you like that!?"

Cobra pushed Noboru, so he could stand up. He grabbed Kasumi by her arm and dragged her out of the Itokan Diner. Lately the odd looks were too creepy, even for Cobra. Kasumi struggled to resist. But Cobra hold her strongly. Escaping wasn't an option. And since he though he was a boy, his grip was strong.

Noboru smirked, since he knew Cobra well. Although, grabbing Kasumi was kind of wild. But Noboru could tell that Cobra paid attention at the boy, and that he cared. After all, often Cobra could be misunderstood. He always worried, about his friends. And, since the day Rocky placed that 'Baka' boy under his care. He would not harm him. Yet that boy was pissing him off.

Cobra threw Kasumi against the door as they stepped outside. "What was that Ren?" Cobra asked her serious.

Kasumi hit against the door was rough, she could feel her bones hurt. She looked at him loaded with anger. "Let me be!" Kasumi yelled at him as she pushed him.

"I don't really care how you act around me. I can handle you. But lately, you started creepy me out. What is wrong with you?" Cobra voiced with strong but low tone. "I don't have time to deal with childish things. Things are serious. Get your act together." he added.

Kasumi leaned back against the wall. For once she was paying attention to what Cobra was telling her, and not thinking how hot he looked . Cobra was right. Lately, posing as Ren she had lost herself. Her guild made her miss the point of being there. It was too childish. "Okay, I got it!" she yelled at him. Her eyes met directly with his, making both awkward.

Cobra stepped back making room for Kasumi, if she wanted to leave. "What happened?" he asked her again with a more carrying voice.

Kasumi gazed at him "Nothing, I cannot tell you!" she said and run off. Leaving behind a very puzzled Cobra.


Few hours had only passed. It was almost noon. Everyone was at Itokan Diner. Naomi and Nikka were making lunch. Only Kasumi wasn't there. She was walking at the end of the Sannoh district. Wearing her jeans, and a black shirt with running shoes. Doubt members were attacking Nonoriki. Kasumi didn't see that coming. Nonoriki was surrounded and was being threatened. Kasumi didn't wait. She wasn't sure who the girl was. But it wasn't fair. She ran, jumped and flipped. Landing few inches away from Nonoriki. She shielded her with her body.

"You guys what are you trying to pull here?" Kasumi yelled at them as she was between Nonoriki and the gang. "Let the girl go" she voiced clearly glaring at them. The men looked at Kasumi and laughed. She looked to short, petite and too weak.

The guy with the silk black shirt laughed "You are a funny one." he mocked Kasumi. "We will let you go. Just go!" he told her.

"Are you guys crazy? Attacking a girl like that its not fair!" she cried out "I am not leaving. You leave!" she ordered them.

The guy smiled, and pushed Kasumi against Nonoriki. "What can you do?" he asked her while laughing. The rest of his friends were just watching.

Kasumi lifted her arms and pushed him off with all her strength. "Let the girl go!" she yelled again not backing up.

The guy nodded to two of his friends to deal with Kasumi. They laughed and walked over grabbing her from her arms and trying to pull her away. Though Kasumi struggled. She freed herself and pushed them harder. The man didn't wait, the first one punched Kasumi in the side and the other followed with a kick. Kasumi tried to dodged them by she got hit. She fall against the ground, next to Nonoriki. The man tried to grab Nonoriki.

Kasumi, was not strong enough to deal with them. Fighting them was possible. She couldn't let the girl been taken. She yelled loudly "Aaah" and hit her fist against the ground. The guys looked at her. She leaped up as fast as she could attacking them. "Run! Leave now!" she cried out to Nonoriki.

The Doubt members fought back, as Nonoriki managed to escape. She cracked a smile as at least Nonoriki was free. Yet, the fight was uneven. It was long time Kasumi used her fists. She knew to defend herself. Yet, she was not strong enough to deal with everyone.

They luck ended there. Cobra, Yamato, Tettsu, Dan, Chiharu and Noboru showed up. Nonoriki after breaking away, she ran at the Itokan Diner and informed them. It didn't take them a lot of effort to crash everyone. Kasumi gazed at them and smiled. Knowing that the girl was now safe, she fainted.

Cobra walked over and picked Kasumi up. 'Damn he is light' he thought as he placed his arms around her and supported her. Maybe he found the boy annoying. But Cobra never wanted anything bad to happen.

"I will help you?" Chiharu tried to follow Cobra. After all he was the only one that knew Ren was a girl, and not any girl, but Kasumi.

"No, I will deal with Ren. You guys deal with them!" Cobra said and picked Kasumi up and walked away.

Tettsu patted Chiharu to let Cobra be. "If he wanted to take care of Ren, let him. They are almost living in the same room" he said. And Chiharu agreed. Making a scene would draw more attention. Maybe he wouldn't notice anything.


Cobra, slowly brought Kasumi back at the room. He leaned her against the bed. Kasumi was bitten badly. "That fool!" he said. He was worried. Cobra filled a bowl with warm water, grabbed a towel to clean Kasumi's wounds. He slowly cleaned her face. Gazing her closer now.

Next he took off Kasumi shirt. Cobra paused. Her chest was covert with an elastic belt. He was curious about the belt. He pulled the belt off. He froze again. "Is he a girl?" Cobra murmured. He was confused. What was happening. Did Rocky send him a freak. What was bothering Cobra, was not the thought that she was a boy with s Or Even a girl. The smell and the feeling of being around her, it was familiar. He was sure for one thing, that she was a girl. He pressed his hands against his face. Cobra had almost lost it. He pulled a blanket over her. He picked up his phone and called Rocky.

"Who is Ren?" he asked with a deep dark voice as Rocky answered.

Rocky was sure something happened. There was no way Cobra would ask him other wise. "What... did you notice?" he asked.

"I know he is a girl..." Cobra replied though the next words were hard to say. "Is he Kasumi?" Cobra took the risk to ask. He needed to know if it was her. Because it had to be her. It smelt like her. It felt like her.

Rocky cracked a smile over the phone "It took you sometime. Although she had changed a lot I was sure you would recognize her. Don't go off her. It was my idea. There wasn't a more safe place, than yours. You know that!"

Cobra turned and looked at her. Maybe she had changed in so many ways. But she was still Kasumi. Lately he was so worried. That even her lying at him, did not matter any longer. He was worried, so worried. He couldn't tell anyone, how worried he had been. Indeed he was angry at her. Not because she was the daughter of the Iemura. But for not trusting him and lying. "I know. I won't." he replied and ended the call.

The door opened suddenly, Yamato, Naomi and everyone rushed inside. They looked at her and then Cobra. Chiharu rushed in last. He had already told the others about Kasumi. He couldn't lie anymore. He was worried, about her And what Cobra would do. Everyone was surprised. But they were happy, that Ren was Kasumi. Even Naomi.

"How long have you known?" Cobra asked Chiharu serious when he stepped into the room.

Chiharu didn't dare to look at him "Few days ago." he answered.

"Then why didn't you tell us. At least them. They were worried." Cobra yelled at him. He walked over pushing Chiharu.

Yamato grabbed him from the shoulder and pulled him back "She is alright. So calm down." he said.

"You calling that alright." Cobra asked loudly and pointed at Kasumi. "Chiharu what were you thinking." he asked him.

"She didn't want to tell anyone. She didn't know how to face the guys. And you hated her. What should i do?" Chiharu defined.

"I don't hate her. I was angry on how she does things. But i don't hate her. Keep that clear in mind. Kasumi is part of us. And that's not how we treat our friends" Cobra clarified.

Yamato nodded "Indeed we don't turn our back to our friends."

Naomi agreed "We are not pushing our friends away."

Things started to look better for Kasumi. The Hoodlum Squad knew now that she was save. They agree to keep her secret. Staying as a boy. It would be safer for her. Until they could deal with all the new issues that were about to happen. Cobra also told them that he would talk with her. The guys agreed and left him alone with Kasumi.

Cobra took a seat next to her. "Thankfully nothing bad happened." he said over his breath. He had no words to describe, how lucky it felt. Having Kasumi there. Though he was still mad at her.

Hours passed, and Kasumi opened her eyes. Her body was all aching, she tried to sit up. The next thing she noticed was Cobra next to her. She still couldn't face him. She lowered her gaze, noticing that her clothes were changed. Her face looked pale and shocked. 'Does he know' she thought. Though she tried to act cool.

"Is that girl alright?" she asked Cobra as she played with the blanket. Her eyes scanning around the room, and not facing Cobra.

"The girl is fine. Her name is Nonoroki. Will you keep always run into trouble like that?" he asked her.

Kasumi felt uneasy. Cobra gazing her, not being sure what he knew. "I don't think like that." she answered honestly. "It was only unfair." she mumbled.

"And if it isn't fair. You just run into it to make it fair. With out being sure if you can handle yourself." he scold her. His gaze remain still on her.

The emotions were too much. She couldn't keep lying. She pushed her body closer to the edge of the bed. She stood up. Facing away from Cobra. Though Cobra wouldn't let her be. He stood also next to her and turned her around.

"I am talking to you. You cannot avoid it any more." He said clear and loudly. "We should have these talk long ago" Cobra admitted. He still was pissed at Kasumi and worried at the same time.

"What is there to talk about?" Kasumi asked as she was still trying to break free. Cobra eyes gazing at her almost made her lose it.

"I changed you. Your clothes." Cobra said with out delay.

Kasumi gazed at him with her eyes wide open. Then she placed her hands against her s. "There is none" she mumbled as she noticed the elastic belt was gone.

"I know. I mean I should guess it was you. But you didn't look at all like Kasumi." Cobra said.

Kasumi stepped back and sat down. She gazed at him. She was lost. "You found out" she mumbled "The guys? ... I need to explain?".

Cobra patted her shoulder gazing at her "Don't worry about the guys. Chiharu explained. They were worried about you." he said and sat next to her. "No one hates you. Everyone was worried."

She looked at Cobra crying. She had to face everyone and explain. "I never wanted to hide who I was..." she murmured "Hating me would be normal.. after what the Iemura did."

"You got it all wrong. We weren't pissed because you were his daughter. Kasumi is Kasumi. Because you couldn't trust us. And because you lied. You did it then, you've done it now again." Cobra told her. He grabbed Kasumi from her shoulders "You get the difference. We were worried. We think Kasumi as part of us. And Kasumi does things on her own." he yelled at her.

Kasumi nodded she understood what Cobra meant. She also was surprised that everyone really cared about her. Even Cobra seemed to care. "I don't know how to face you. It was not suppose to be like that!" Kasumi honestly told him.

"What is done is done. Kasumi should stop do things on her own. You can trust us." he said with a sweet tone.

Kasumi gazed up at Cobra. His expression on his face changed. He was worried about her. "Rest now. We can talk tomorrow. You can also face the guys then." he suggested. He wasn't going to be easy on Kasumi. She had a lot to learn. The fact that he was angry with her still remain. But at the moment he just was happy Kasumi was back.

((Next:: Act Fourteen))


Side Note:

More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!