A yak in the Dark

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

Later the same night, Cobra, Yamato, Tettsu, Dan, Chiharu and Kasumi reached the Bar ODAKE. The Bar owned by Bar Odake's Mama, who was though as a mentor for young people around the Sannoh district. All four got some vodka, while Kasumi was helping Chiharu to bandage up. Tettsu was taking picture of Dan's mouth to post to Instagram. Dan was complaining that his teeth would fall. Yamato that was eating nuts teased Cobra "In the end you fought too!" Cobra wanting to look cool, with both of his arms crossed against the counter told him "I just wanted to protect the Hoodlum Squad." Yamato chuckled at him "That is only an excuse.."

The bar owner smiled at them both saying "But isn't it a good thing? It seems like that Murayama knows how a "connection" works. There is a reward for consistently protecting what you believe in." Yamato laughed and stood up "Then it's all thanks to me." They just agreed with him and he was told to sit down.

Chiharu stood up and walked close to the four, telling them he would give up on the Hoodlum Squad. He wanted to do so, since he had caused many troubles for them. They asked him then what would be the purpose of today. But, Chiharu came to agree with them only when Cobra gazed at him and told him "Do as you want!" A tequila bottle was brought by the bar owner and she purred drinks for everyone. Dan made fun of Chiharu that he is under age and could not drink. Yamato and Tettsu joined the tease. As Chiharu and Cobra tipped their glasses.

Though, they forgot something... Kasumi. All that time she remained sitting at the table across them. Since they had a good time she didn't bother to interfere. Her senses were back and she was on her way to leave. She noticed the Bar owner purring her also a drink and placing next to Cobra. Kasumi didn't walked over immediately, the last time some placed her a drink next to Cobra the outcome was bad. But then again, she had better to have a drink with those Yankees, than face the Iemura Group. After all she was sure, she wouldn't meet with them again. Kasumi stood up, still wearing her high heels and walked over to the bar.

Cobra noticed the drink next to him. He looked at the bar owner, trying to think who else was left. Before his tired mind thought of Kasumi she had already reached the counter and sat next to him. The boys turned and looked at her still confused. Kasumi sat down, and tried to reach her drink, but Cobra took it away. "First things first!" he said at her gazing her with a serious look. The guys stopped what they were doing and turned all the attention to Cobra and her.

"Tak! (Geez)" Kasumi complained trying to reach her drink.

"Are you even in the right age to drink?" Cobra asked her.

But Kasumi didn't want to answer. Why on earth would she answer him. He was rude to her once. Kasumi didn't forget it. She simply gave up on her glass, and simply grabbed Cobra's drink and drunk it all at once. The boys gazed each other, wandering if that stranger wasn't scared at all. After all she was acting like that around Cobra, who wasn't the easiest person to deal with.

Thankfully the Bar owner interfered "Come now stop it. Have you drinks, you can find the answers tomorrow!"

Cobra gazed once more at Kasumi and returned her glass. He could deal with her tomorrow, or maybe he would never see her again. Everyone went back drinking and talking about the fight. Kasumi had only one more drink. She wasn't much of a drinker, and no way she would leave her guard down around those Yankees.

"You guys don't have enough respect for Inoki, do you?" Cobra said after some time with an odd voice.

The guys moved aside and the bar owner moved away "I am leaving the rest to you guys."

Kasumi was puzzled with everyone's behavior. It was like they were trying to avoid Cobra. "But why" she whispered.

Cobra who found Chiharu in front of him started asking him "Were is the fight?" He pointed at his chest "In here right?!"

Chiharu with a smile answered him "Yes." The guys were still facing the other side of the room.

Kasumi was gazing at Cobra and Chiharu. 'Is he drunk or what?' she thought.

Cobra asked Chiharu "Inoki Bombaye or Inoki Ganbare?"

Cobra as a kid had many fights with Noboru and Yamato about those two phrases. Each time Chiharu answered him wrong, he slapped him softly. Kasumi was sure by then he was drunk. That's why everyone avoided him. It seemed though a bit funny. The rude guy from the other day. The deadly leader from today. Had nothing to do with the childish drunk Cobra.

In the end Cobra places his red scarf around Chiharu and told him "I will share my love for Inoki with you." Then he gave him a hug saying "Accepted." The boys laugh but they remain at their safe zone.

Kasumi, that gazed at herself noticed that everything on her was a mess. She looked around and went to the bathroom to clean herself. She always looked out her appearance, today it was one of the rare days she would not -even once- check it. She stayed for long time in the bathroom. She walked over to ask how much she owed for the drinks. But the bar owner explained that it was on the house.

"Thank you!" Kasumi answered with a soft bow. She grabbed her bag from the bar counter and looked around. "Wow! everyone left" she said as she noticed the room being empty. Though the bar lady pointed at Cobra that was leaning against the counter drunk and still all bloody and bruised.

"Almost everyone." she said making Kasumi gazing at him.

"Didn't they take him with him?" Kasumi asked.

"They were also drunk. And Copra drunk..well you show how he is." she explained.

Kasumi nodded at her "I should take my leave too! Thank you again!" she said as she turned.

"Hey, there!" the bar owner called her making Kasumi to face her. "Will you do me a favor?" she asked her.

Kasumi tilted her head and waited to hear what the favor was. "Few meters down the same road is the Hino Gas-station. Next to it, you will find a room. Cobra stays most of the times there. Is it much to ask to lead him there." the bar lady asked her.


Few minutes later and Kasumi ended up walking in the main street of Sannoh district, while holding Cobra against her. It was passed midnight and no one was around. Kasumi walked straight as the bar owner told her, trying to find the Hino Gas-station. Cobra had his left arm wrapped around her back, supporting most of his weight against her. He drop his eyes against her and asked her "Inoki Bombaye or Inoki Ganbare?"

Kasumi sighed, as she was trying to keep her balance. "I don't want you to share your Inoki love with me." she made it clear.

Cobra, drunk and confused gazed at her with puppy eyes "No one ever denied my Inoki love."

"There is always first time for everything!" Kasumi concluded as she had noticed they have already reached the Hino Gas-station.

From there, Cobra almost dragged her with him behind the Gas-station. "These is it!" he told her pointing at the room. He reached his pockets and got a key out, and gave it to Kasumi. She figured it was to open the door. She simply placed the key inside the locker and unlocked the door. Then she opened the door and helped him get inside. Cobra didn't wait at all and crashed against the bed that was on the right. Kasumi though didn't leave right away. She looked around the room. There wasn't a lot of stuff. A chair, and a desk with some clothes placed around. A helmet, a leather jacket at the corner with "Mugen" written on the back. And last a first aid kid. She gazed at Cobra that was lying against the bed.

"He must be injured" Kasumi murmured and walked over trying to flipping him over. "Are you still awake?" she asked as she stood above him. Cobra looked up at her, tired more than drunk. She handed him her hand so he could sit up. He was feeling better and he was not on his drunk mood. He was following her lead out of curiosity. He took her hand and sat up. Kasumi pointed at the first aid kid that she was holding. "Let me help you with that." she said and sat next to him.

The moment was odd, since Cobra was not used to have someone treat his cuts. Or even having a girl helping him. Kasumi should be mad at him. But she acknowledged what Cobra was through today. And in the end it felt unfair. That he would end up alone, with no one even to clean his wounds. Kasumi opened the First aid kid looking for some bandages and some ointment to put on them. She also found a clean cloth that she soak in water to clean the injuries. "What are you waiting?" Kasumi almost demented as she was waiting for him to take of his shirt.

Cobra gazed at her with the furious look of his, but took off his jacket and his bloody shirt. Silence over took the room. It was not the bare skin that made Kasumi shiver, but it was the cuts and bruises that covered his body. And she was sure most of those injuries were old. She lean closer with the wet cloth trying to clean the blood. But she would stop half way scared not to hurt him. Cobra gazed at her "What?" he asked and grabbed the clothed from her hands and cleaned himself. Kasumi didn't say anything just reached for the ointment and put some against his wounds. Gazing at him for time to see if she caused any pain. After she was done, he reached and got a cleaner shirt. It had a darker red color and yellow strikes. He wore it and lie down.

Kasumi, placed what was left of the bandages inside the first aid kid and placed it at the desk next to her. "You have fought a lot!" she simple said.

Cobra gazed again at her, more tired and sleepy now than angry. "Ah! Its your first time around a fight." he noted.

"Something like that." Kasumi said as she stood up and faced him ready to leave.

"Will you be alright?" she asked just to make sure.

"Why if i told you I wouldn't be.. would you stay!" Cobra answered back with not a second thought.

"That's not what I meant." she said.

"I know what you meant. Those injuries will be fine." Cobra made it sure for her.

Though Kasumi, lived far and it was late to walk alone. And if it wasn't dangerous around the Sannoh parts, it would be at the rest of the city. Finding a taxi at that time in Sannoh district was impossible. But Kasumi, didn't say anything she grabbed her bag and made her way out.

"Wait!" Cobra uttered at her "You are not from Sannoh district right?"

Kasumi turned and faced him "No i am not. Why?" she asked him.

"Nothing, stay here. When the morning comes, it will be safer. I would drive you, but right now i am too drunk and hurt to take you!" Cobra told her with a softer tone.

Kasumi nodded and sat next to him few inches away. "Between, I am Kasumi." she said randomly, since they never introduced each other.

Cobra gave her a last gaze before zoning off. Kasumi only planned to stay for few hours until morning was there. She took off her heels and crawled next to him, until the morning found them. It was one of the few nights that those two could meet in peace. Kasumi odd personality and Cobra's bad one, would always have them be in serious fights. And there was one more thing that was left out, that would cause a major problem. That Kasumi, even if she didn't accepted it, was the daughter of Iemura Leader. Fact that would bring many conflicts between those two, and between the rest of the members.


The sun rose in Sannoh region and the empty streets became crowed again. H-Gas Station opened like every other day. Yamato, who was passing by, decided to make a stop by the Gas station. After all Cobra's room was never locked. Yamato grabbed the door handle and pushed the door. Once the door was open, he entered. "Cobra, are you still sleeping?" he asked him with a funny tone. Cobra as he heard the sound of the door being opened, he opened his eyes. He could sleep a little more, but since Yamato was there he decided to get up. "I am awake." Cobra murmured and sat up. Lifting his arms up, stretching and yawning. He sniffed finding the rooms odor some how refreshing and familiar. Then he turned his look towards Yamato. Yamato was speechless. His eyes were widely opened, and he pointed at the space next to Cobra. "What?!" Cobra asked confused at his friends reaction. He gazed at the spot, where Yamato was pointing at.

Next to Cobra, was still resting Kasumi. Last night, she felt asleep. Cobra rubbed his eyes and gazed at her again. He was sure last night, she was sitting at the end of the bed. Now, she was too close to him. "Ah! Troubles!" Cobra murmured and threw over her a blanket. He signed Yamato to go outside. Cobra pushed Yamato out of the door, as his frozen friend was still processing what he had seen. He closed the door behind him, and walked few steps towards the bench. He took a seat, and gazed at Yamato.

Minutes later, Yamato managed to speak again. "Why is there a girl inside your room?" Yamato asked like he had never seen a girl before.

Cobra gazed at him. Honestly, he had no idea how to answer him. 'Why was that girl there?' he thought.

"Isn't that the girl from yesterday?" Yamato went on asking. He was sure it was her.

Cobra sighed, he never liked to explaining things. But seemed that his friend was over reacting. "Her name is Kasumi. She helped me return home last night. It was late, I suggested to stay. Nothing odd happened."

"But there is a girl in your room?" Yamato asked again like it was the first time a girl stayed there. Cobra simply looked at him thinking he is being silly.

Eventually, the rooms door opened and Kasumi stepped out. She woke up as both of them stepped out. But, she needed her time to fix her dress, wear her heels. Then, brush her hair and fix her make up. She closed the door behind her and walked over were Cobra and Yamato were.

"Ah!" Yamato reacted. Cobra noticed her. She looked all fresh. Her clothing, her make up even her hair. "Cobra, how did a girl like her end up here?" Yamato asked.

"I have no idea my friend!" Cobra replied as he stood up, and tapped his shoulder.

"Did you rest?" Cobra asked her.

"Yes. I fell asleep last night!" she explained "Anyway, how are the bruises." she asked trying to check his face.

Cobra pushed her hand away. "I am fine." he answered.

Kasumi nodded, as she noticed Yamato standing close by. "Hello!" she said and waved. But, Yamato didn't react at all. He was still processing the previous data.

"Don't mind him!" Cobra said.

"Well, then.. I will take my leave." Kasumi said and placed her bag against her shoulder and walked away.

Cobra tapped at Yamato saying "Wait for me, I will be back!"

He ran inside his room and got his helmet and his bike keys. He leaped on his bike and started the engine. Kasumi that was only few steps away. She turned as she heard the sound of the bike. Soon, there was Cobra stopping in frond of her on his bike.

"Hop on, I will take you home!" he said at her.

Kasumi gazed at him baffled. "I live far. I can take a taxi!" she told him.

"Come! I don't have all day." Cobra said.

Kasumi really didn't think it over. She simply climbed over, and sat. Placing her hands against her knees.

Cobra grabbed her hands placing them around him. "Hold on tight or you will fall, Baka." he said and drove off.

Dan, arrived at that moment watching Cobra leaving with a girl behind his bike. He walked over where Yamato was. "Yamato, was that Cobra!" he asked him.

Yamato nodded at him with a lost gaze.

"But there was a girl with him!" Dan added.

Yamato nodded again.

"A girl.. It was a girl!" Dan repeated.

"She stayed the night over!" Yamato managed to say. Both of them speechless remained there for long time.

After a long drive, they had reached Kasumi's region. "I live close by you can just stop here." she notified Cobra. He pulled over and let her down. The right thing would be to get her home, but maybe she didn't want to be seen with him around her parts. Cobra thought. But the truth was Kasumi was trying to hide that she was part of the Iemura Group. She didn't want no one to know about that.

She gazed at Cobra and gave him a light bow "Thank you!" she said.

"No problem. It was to repay you for last night!" Cobra clarified and drove away.

((Next:: Act Four))