A bleary moment

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

Kasumi poured herself into the pages of the book. She scoured the book, that was about the law and how corrupted a country's system could be. She skim read the book. She read until she was almost cross-eyed and the words merged into nonsense. She paused and massaged her throbbing temples as she glanced at another page. She was laying on her stomach and her legs tapped against the air casually. She was wearing her jeans, a hipster top and a neck scarf. Her face was made up, but not over done and her short black hair was pulled back into a pony-tail.

She rolled on the bed refusing to read any longer. Maybe she had to study for those few classes until she graduated. Yet, her mind was buzzing her about Cobra, SWORD, The pact and so many things that had nothing to do with her studies. Noboru claiming she needed to catch up, the large exams were close. Kasumi blinked rapidly and pressed her forehead onto the book, as if that could imprint it in her memory. But it did not work. She groaned and glanced at the ceiling before forcing her gaze back down at the book.

She stifled a yawn and rubbed her bleary eyes. Her thoughts became groggy and incoherent. Kasumi decided to close the book and look at the ceiling once again. The white ceiling was gone, as now her memory was tangling around Cobra. The Hoodlum Squad's Leader paid a visit few times to Rocky. He needed to know why he was refusing to be part of the pact. Kizzy informed it that it was because of Doubt and Ranmaru. An old enemy of Rocky and he was after the White Rascals. Rocky would never involve SWORD to a personal problem. Yet, Cobra did not give up he would visit Rocky again to have a face to face talk with him.

And there was her mind again wheeling around Cobra. Lately, it was happening more frequently. Like her first thought would be about Cobra and her last. True be told, his physical part was damn nice, but the leader of Hoodlum Squad was more than that. He had soul, and a big heart. He was man enough to be a boy. He was slowly showing who he were born to be, not what the world made him into. Day by day, Kasumi unfolded and found out more about the deadly leader. And each day she was dragged closer to him.

"Oi! Kasumi how long will you stare at the ceiling!" a monotone male voice echoed against the small room.

The girl's thoughts vanished like a smoky cloud above her head. Her bleary eyes, that were lost, slowly returned to the reality. Her lips cracked a light smile, as she noted Cobra standing few steps away from her. She was so drawn in her thoughts, she never noticed him enter. "Since when are you here?" she asked him. Next she stretched her upper body and arched her back until she was in a sitting position. She gather her legs and crossed them, allowing her hips to sit on them.

"During the roll... You were suppose to study!" he said as his eyes strictly pinned on her.

She frowned "Not you too! Noboru reminded me enough about studying today!" Then she reached her book only to throw it at the edge of the bed. "My mind is troubled enough!" she cried out.

Cobra tilted his head and climbed into the bed. He leaned his back against the wall and stretched his legs lightly touching her back. "Your mind should be busy with learning more laws and finishing those classes. There should be nothing else bothering you." he told her. His eyes were so different in moments like those, more soft than she knew eyes could be. It was not like he was scolding her, he was just pointing her to the path she should take.

"Yeah, I know. It's just everyone is anxious. With Kuryu Group taking more land. Ranmaru and Doubt poking around the White Rascals. Daruma in their own world. And the only good news is if Furuno and the others manage to upload the content of Takeru's USB. Maybe that could slow the Kuryu down." Kasumi stated as she rolled again on her belly next to Cobra gazing at him.

"Furuno?" Cobra puzzled.

"Hmm... The hacker lady. Noboru's friend. I told you Noboru scold me to study. We met few hours ago. Then he told me, Furuno, Kohaku, Tsukumo and the Amamiya are up to upload and expose everything." Karumi explained as her legs started to wave again against the air.

"Ah, Soda! (That's right!) Toda (Though) Kasumi spends a lot of her free time nagging around, than reading. Wait, who told you about Ranmaru? I found out few days ago. And I only discussed with the guys few minutes ago. So..." Cobra said confused again. If it were anyone else he would drop his gaze, but with her he was drawing in closer.

"I called Rocky." Kasumi revealed with a innocents in her voice "You said you did not managed to talk with him the other day face to face. Tonight he will meet with you. He promised."

Cobra sat up, glaring at her serious. He knew by then, how Kasumi could drag herself into trouble. He had witness it plenty of times. Where she was not suppose to go, there she was. What she was not suppose to do, she would simply interact. "You simply called Rocky and he just agreed? And not to say that you went again behind my back.." he voiced up clearly annoyed.

"No! I called Kizzy. I figured out you have not spoken with Rocky. Only by looking at your worried face. We talked and talked. Anyway... he explained me in detail what happened back then with Ranmaru and Rocky. I bugged him like enough so he managed to have Rocky to talk with me. And we agreed that you would not stop visiting him, until he would see you. That's all!" she assured him proudly.

"Do I dare to ask about Daruma?" Cobra questioned as his hands were now resting behind his neck.

"I have not spoken with anyone from Daruma Ikka. If that's what you are worried about." Kasumi notified him with a smile still on her face.

"It's not your Job..." Cobra said as he was cut off by her.

"Murayama has it covered. We should leave Hyuga to him." she added.

"Wait Kasumi, did you talk with Murayama too?" Cobra asked her in more severe tone. The 'studying Kasumi' was interfering more than the usual one. "I thought you were deeply drawn in your studies."

"I am.. I mean I was.. Of course, I did not call Murayama. Oshiage told me." Kasumi explained still gazing at him.

"Oshiage? Why? How?" Cobra was lost. He was not sure if Kasumi should go on explaining him. It would only confuse him more.

"Yes. Oshiage met with Murayama. She surely missed him. Anyway, and he clearly said he would make sure Daruma accept the pact." she said and rolled over. She placed her head against Cobra's stomach and noticing his puzzling look. "Oshiage and Murayama are dating. They are clearly a couple. You have noticed too?" she asked him giggling.

Cobra closed his eyes for a few second to recollect his thoughts. Kasumi kept bombing his mind more than she used too. Clearly now that she was a Sannoh Member she was aware about her surroundings. And lately, Cobra noticed it she was only brought in a higher range. It was clearly not because she was a Member of his group. She could easy come in contact with anyone from SWORD and they would answer her.

Kasumi still resting against his stomach turned her face to look at him. "What happened at the Itokan Diner? What did the guys say?" she suddenly asked him a weighty question.

Cobra's sigh tinged with the cloudy gaze, as he opened his eyes. "Dan although he cannot forgive Kuryu Group, he is scared to face them. He things it's not only Iemura but Kuryu Group. He suggested to withdraw from the USB case. Tettsu was almost saying that maybe it could benefit if the casino opened. Yet, I fear he is agreeing with Dan." he rendered understandable.

"You cannot blame them Cobra." Kasumi responded.

"I am not. I just want them to trust me. We have not fought enough! Is that all we can do for our city. If Kuryu Group is exposed, we have to be here and stand our ground." Cobra loudly declared as his fist gathered to a punch.

Kasumi softly leaned closer and placed her arms around him surprising him. "Cobra-san. The strong protect and nurture no matter the situation. Like Cobra-san does. Yet, not everyone has the same strength. You know that. Even if you all face the same demons. It takes another level of power to move on. Like you do. Not everyone has that." Kasumi whispered closed to his ear trying to undo his worries. But Kasumi knew, that Cobra's strength could be also his downfall. They way Cobra thought and acted was different in many levels. He could not be easy understood, how deep he could worry even for people that were not his close friends. That he simply could see the big picture. And he simple could place himself in any danger for the right cause.

Cobra leaned against her shoulder as she was hugging her. Before Kasumi was there, he was not used to have someone to take some of his worries away. He could talked with Yamato and Noboru. Yet, he would end up on his own to overthink it. He would talk less and act more. And his worries would be hidden under his toughness. Now it was different. Sometimes it will be worse, as Kasumi would blend herself into anything. Causing him to break down easier. Some other times, she would make him angry and irritated him. And there were those few times, she would simply lift most of his weight with a simple hug.

Cobra rested his palm against her head and softly waffled her hair. "It's time for me to visit Rocky. I have to meet him after the last attack. Ranmaru was maybe behind it. Even if he doesn't want to accept the pact. At least he should know, there are people he can call when he is unable to stand." Cobra said and climbed of the bed and stood up.

Kasumi nodded. Maybe she managed to persuade Rocky to agree and met with Cobra. But to have him agree with the pact, was a harder task. Kasumi sat on her knees at the edge of the bed and wrapped her arms around Cobras waist. His eyes looked deeply into hers. What was happening now? Why did she feel this cheesy moment? She leaned even closer against Cobra. Then she simply gave herself a light hop only to have her lips touch with his. It was for nano second. It could not even count for a kiss, and then she sat back on her knees. Her face blushed and her gazed dropped.

Cobra was caught up to the moment. He had before. They had even Kissed. But, until now his emotions were not clear. Or better he wanted to keep it that way. Kasumi was Kasumi. And he never gave her a title. Was she a friend? Was she just a member? was she something less or something more? Of course, he was to proud to let his pride down and to accept his feelings. Yet, the leader of Hoodlum Squad was always responding back, if he was provoked.

His eyes widened and his right hand grabbed Kasumi from the back of her head tight. Then he bent closer, and leaned in flipping his head on the left and pressing his lips against her. Next he kissed her deeply and wildly, for few long minutes. He only withdrew to allow both of them to breathe. And then he kissed her a bit more. Kasumi held strongly against him and kissed him back. When the kiss had finished, Kasumi vision was bleary than before. She was not only seeing fireworks, she was could see rainbows and pink butterflies. She sat on the bed lost in the moment with her fingers touching her lips.

"That's how a kiss should be!" Cobra chuckled awkwardly and turned around. Though, his feet could not walk and he dragged his steps out of his room. He was stumbling and losing his balance. He only managed to flee out of the room and collapsed against his bike. He was not sure how many fights he had fought. And how many times he was . But this was the first time he was seeing starts floating around his head, and his legs were trembling.

((Next:: Act Twenty-One))