Sense of Hollow Grief

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

Itokan Diner Saturday night. Most of Sannoh Rengokai was gathered there. Days had passed and everyone was back in their old routines and some have found new life styles. That Cobra and Kasumi were together was given, but everyone played along with them denying it. Kasumi was a busy spirit lately, and Cobra fell deeper in the rabbit hole. No, it was not like he was envious or jealous of her. He adored everything about her, from the way the breeze blew her hair to the soft tone lilt to her voice. To the way she handled herself around every difficulty.

Yet like Icarus, he flew too close to the sun. He thought he was invincible until the wax melted from his wings day by day and drip by drip. At first he ignored it and enjoyed his flight to even notice. Pride does that, it bound him down to his own demise. Before he knew it he was crashing down toward the angry sea. He acted on impulse and then created the reason for his actions after the fact.

"I am surely dreaming..." Kasumi said and pinched her own arm "Is that really you?"

"Look," Cobra sighed "I don't want to argue with you here right now." his eyes turned away as he tried to be patient. He knew it, if they kept going on the results would be bad.

"Cobra-san, If there is something bothering you. Just tell it on my face! What's wrong with the sissy-act!" Kasumi uttered furious at his reaction. "Are you avoiding me?" she added hitting her palm against the table drawing all the attention of the room.

The room fell into silence.

"I am so done here..." Cobra voiced up with his deep voice and glared at her "Let's break up!"


Few days ago...

"Neh, will you drive me to the office?" Kasumi asked Cobra as she strolled out of the bathroom looking for her heels. It's been days now she was following her crazy schedule. She would get up early at dawn, drive to the office for her internship, for 4 hours. Then she had class for a few hours. At the evening she would teach for one or two hours in the elementary school and train with Hiroto afterwords another 2 hours. Her day would end working at Club heaven 4 more hours. Then she would rush home and spend some time with Cobra telling him of her busy day and drift asleep. In those busy hours of hers, she never complained being tired or weary. She was just enjoying her days.

Cobra lifted an eye brown gazing at her "I can! Though what happened to your bike?"

"I left with Yamato's garage. It needed some service and to updated it a bit!" She informed him as she was already at the door "Are you coming I don't want to be late!"

Cobra chuckled "Kasumi takes better care of her bike than me!" He stepped closer and wrapped his arms around her "Let's be late!" he and leaned in kissing her.

Kasumi's cheeks slowly changed to red, her stomach again felt those 'damn' butterflies as she surrendered and kissed him back. Her palm rested against his chest and she softly pushed him back breaking the kiss "I really have to be on time!"

"Fine, Fine!" Cobra acted as he was offended and walked outside. He jumped on his bike and Kasumi after him.

She wrapped her arms around him as always. "I should be done around noon! If you can pick me up?" she asked him.

Cobra gazed at her upon his shoulder "You don't have class today?" he puzzled.

"Ie! (No!) It's Wednesday. We can have lunch and spend sometime together, before going to teach." she suggested with a big smile.

"Of course I can pick up Kasumi. You never ask for anything! Lunch, sounds good!" he agreed with her and turned the engine on.

"Noon at the school entrance then. I have to submit a paper work." she noted and leaned against him. Her face was brighten and she was shining from happiness like a small child. Her inner voice was yelling 'Lunch with my crush!' and her heart pouncing.

Cobra nodded and drove off. He could feel her heart beating like crazy and her excitement rise. He tilted his head trying to hide his own smile as he was happy, happier that he could ever been.


Noon was already there, and Cobra was sitting on his bike outside the entrance of the university waiting for her. It was rush hour and students were coming and going. Most cast Cobra strange looks. He started to feel awkward like he was out of place. He closed his eyes ignoring the stares. Thankfully Kasumi was in time. She was wearing a black short skirt, white silk shirt and her black coat. Her hair were longer now almost touching her shoulders and she pulled it back in a ponytail.

She rushed over and pointed in a popular cafe next by. She insisted that they should go and have lunch there. Cobra agreed and they both showed up around the crowed place. Cobra felt out of place. Most of the people there were law students, well dressed, serious and formal. The leader of Sannoh Rengokai was out of his leak. Their meal was there and they started eating as two girls suddenly grabbed a seat next to them.

Kasumi introduced them as her classmates. Both seemed cheeky and formal. Cobra could tell they were not friends than more colleges. The funny thing was, they have heard about Cobra. Kasumi had already labeled him as her boyfriend and she was happy about that. She did not pay attention at the gossip around her. Cobra was Cobra. She was happy and she did not see anything wrong to be with him. On the other hand Cobra noted the difference. And once again decided to let it go.

After that few more incidents happened that slowly shuttered Cobra's confident and slowly made him unsure for how long Kasumi would be in his reach. While he was teaching, she was like a different kind of person. Her outfit was more casual, jeans and sweater. She was wearing her hear down and glasses. Always on heels. Cobra knew why she like heels. To hide her shortness and honestly she had so many heels, made sense she would wear them more frequently. Anyway, the point was he was again astounded at the view. Kasumi looked like a sensai.

Even if it was, training with Hiroto. She was wearing black sport shorts, athletic top and shoes. Her hair tight in a ban. She was sweaty and drawn totally into the fight. He figured out by then, why she would want Amamiya to teach her. The training seemed to be in a professional level. Once again, even as a fighter she took this serious and was reaching perfection.

And in Club Heaven. Cobra was smitten as he almost did not recognize her. She was wearing a white attire as all members of the Club. A white short and tight dressed. It was not revealing, yet it outlined her body. It seemed she had already found her way around the Bar. She was serving drinks one after the other. And she even had her own act. Lighting the bar on fire, after pouring some alcohol. Messing with shouts creating spikes and colorful cocktails. Once again she was getting everyone's attention.

So, literally Kasumi was reaching perfection in all the fields. Even as his girl and as a busy body. She spend time with him. She was worried about him. Of course Cobra knew how skillful she was. Yet, lately while dealing with Kuryu and spending time around fights and problems. Her skills were never revealed. For him Kasumi started to seem like a far dream. She should not rust in Sannoh district, she should spread her wings and fly. And lately he was thinking it serious. Even if his heart broke each time that thought took him over.

Every time he saw Kasumi now, his emotions went into combat. He almost let himself hate her, feeling angry if she were happy. It took him a while to see those feelings were his problem. All she did was stand there looking lovely with a smile that could light up the world. Then, one day Cobra admitted defeat.


Present day Itokan Diner Saturday night...

"Aw! Then you three are planning to go on a trip with your motorbikes. Sounds a great idea, we should do that too!" Kasumi said in a cheery tone when she found out that Dan, Tettsu and Chiharu were planning a trip.

Cobra just nodded as he was spaced out drawn in his own misery. Lately there was a thought that was burning his insides. And he was trying his best not to erupt and bring everything down with him.

"Hey! Don't be so hyper about that. Nikka already hates it." Tettsu complained.

"Well, she has a point. Since Dan and Chiharu making plans to meet girls." Yamato noted laughing at Tettsu.

"I think everything will be fine. Nikka trusts you after all!" Naomi said as she was washing the remaining glasses.

"If it was me I would just follow!" Kasumi teased them as she poked Cobra to get some of his attention.

"You would be a party-popper!" Dan complained as the rest laughed.

Kasumi waved her hand against Cobra's face, but he was still spacing out. "Cobra-san! Hello!" she giggled finding it odd.

"Lately, he overthinks!" Noboru serious pointed out.

Kasumi nodded "It happens a lot. I am not sure if I should worry!"

"Nuh! He will be fine!" Yamato tried to save the talked and punched him against the shoulder getting him back on earth.

"What!" Cobra cried out as Yamato coughed and pointed at Kasumi. Cobra made an angry face and turned away.

"Cobra-san! Is different this days?" Kasumi mocked him as she turned him to look at her. "You know its not fun, if you don't share your odd thoughts with us." she added with out really knowing how bad his thought were lately.

"Different?!" he uttered back "I was always like that. You could not see who I was"

"I am surely dreaming..." Kasumi said and pinched her own arm "Is that really you?"

"Look," Cobra sighed "I don't want to argue with you here right now." his eyes turned away as he tried to be patient. He knew it, if they kept going on the results would be bad.

"Cobra-san, If there is something bothering you. Just tell it on my face! What's wrong with the sissy-act!" Kasumi voiced up furious at his reaction. "Are you avoiding me?" she added hitting her palm against the table and standing up drawing all the attention of the room.

The room fell into silence.

"I am so done here..." Cobra voiced up with his deep voice and glared at her "Let's break up!"

"Break up!" she mumbled and collapsed against her seat. Cobra's word was never taken lightly. At least until now. He would not talk a lot, yet when he said something it was like he would never undo it. "Is that why you were so troubled all these days?" Kasumi questioned in a soft tone.

"I overdid and started something that is out of my reach." he added in a cruel tone. He was not sure how he managed to look so indifferent and cold. Yet his heart had broken in many small pieces.

"Okay! If that's what you want. I'll move out today! And give me a few days to find a place for my stuff." Kasumi blurted out bluntly.

Kasumi fell into sadness, every other emotion pushed from her being. Where there was the love, the light, the laughter was an aching hollowness. If it was not Cobra, she would ask him to rethink it. She would demand and order him around to cancel his decision. Yet, it was Cobra. And if his mind was bother for so long. That meant, breaking up was his last word.

She stood up all the eyes was pinned against her and glaring at Cobra. Kasumi felt the ground slowly sinking under her feet. She could fall in the darkness and never get up. Yet, she could not allow him to witness her fall so low. She begged for heart to to shuttered now into pieces. She froze her emotions to manage to pull out herself. She dodged all the helping hands that tried to reach her. After all they were his friends. For now she wanted to be away from everything and everyone.

It was pure luck she managed to reach her bike. Honestly, she could not drive in such a state. But she could not reveal how broken she was. She lugged herself on her bike and drove off. Until she found herself knocking on the Amamiya's doors.

At the Itokan Diner, Yamato had already grabbed Cobra from his collar and was demanding his attention. Everyone was facing their leader confused and angry. Yet, Cobra simply punched away from Yamato's grip and dragged himself home. He locked the door and fall on the bed. He accepted that he was fine. He was not in pain. Yet, his heart and mind did not agree. His thoughts were a strange ocean now. Part of his mind was at ease, thinking he made room for Kasumi to open her wings. Though his heart was already domed into the darkness and loneliness. Tonight, he gamed and lost the most important person in his life.

Kasumi hid herself inside Takeru's old room. Masaki and Hiroto allowed her to stay there. They did not ask any questions or bothered her. She was already looking pale, sick and ready to collapse. As life was driven away from her. All night long she sobbed and cried, trying to understand what she did wrong. Yet, she could not name it. Maybe, she was at fault for everything.

When morning came, nothing really matter any longer. She was depressed and lost. Like a young puppy that was left outside in the rain. She did not gave an explanation, and left the Amamiya's apartment. She stopped first in the office to resign. Why would she even need to worry about her internship any longer. Fate was on her side and Noboru spotted her and stopped her. He grabbed the letter of resignation from her hand and ensured her he would take care of it. Thankfully, he called the office explaining that Kasumi was feeling ill. Kasumi only asked him to take care of her teaching hours, at least for now.

Then she simply returned at Takeru's room and hid herself. She called rocky telling him, she would properly never work there again. It was clear the training with Hiroto and Takeshi was on a pause. And she simply withdrew herself from the world. She only shied away in a dark corner, refusing to eat or drink.

The break up was slowly known. Cobra was not seen around and if he was he was really in a mess. No one dared to talk with him. Everyone was looking for Kasumi. Since she never showed herself for days. SWORD and friends were getting really worried. Hiroto and Masaki decided to talk with her. How long would she hide from reality.

Hiroto stormed into her room only to find her faint against the ground. After not being able to bring her back, he and Masaki brought her in the ER. She was exhausted and had reached her limit. She had not eaten for few days. Neither slept. She was only crying. Masaki and Hiroto argued for long time, for not taking care of her. The doctor informed them she would be kept for a few days into the hospital. And Hiroto had enough, and decided to go and find Cobra.

((Next:: Act Thirty-One))


More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!