The longest day ever around SWORD

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

The city with out a name was not as it was before, just devoid of the warmth that made it worthy of that term. It is a collection of ruined buildings, abandoned roads and alleys. Banners hanged with slogans of the "Rude Boys" to be read only by the dust-laden wind. The only sound was the rusting metal that was calling for its people to get back. If stood still enough perhaps time was indeed frozen, perhaps. Most of the city was quarantined in normal wards trying to recover. Scientist from most fields and the media were already there covering the news.

Kasumi drove aside and paused her black Harley-Davidson Street 750. Her feet touched on the rocky ground as she watched as everyone was more interested in the land than the people. Indeed those who were infected were put in segregation. There they were tested and tried to heal. Some were already in the late states and could not be healed. Eri and few others were more lucky and they might survive. The rest of the Nameless city citizens moved to the other part of the city. There with the help of the Rude Boys, they tried to inhabit the ruined buildings.

True be told, he never knew that so many children were actually living at the city that had no name. How cruel could this world actually be. She showed up first around Smoky's grave. Sorrow was still stuffing the air around his grave. His present was still noticeable, like he was still alive and protecting his family. Maybe Kuryu was overthrown, however, the wrong doings did not vanished. She shoulder felt the weight of Smoky's death. Since the Iemura were behind it, even if Kuryu gave the command. She promised secretly that she would get her revenge. For her it was not over. How could it be over?

"Kasumi-san?" a familiar voice asked her as he showed himself few steps away from where she was standing. Her present was noted since she stepped foot deeper in the city. He watched her in awe for few seconds as it was the first time, Kasumi showed so well dressed around their parts.

"A! P!" she jolted. "I needed to pay my respects one more time to Smoky. And I need to talk with you guys." she affirmed as she wiped her tears away.

P nodded and followed outside. He climbed with her on her bike and showed her the way to the area they were living now. After they arrived, he went up the stairs and Kasumi kept walking behind him. "Takeshi, Lala and Yu are here" he said and opened the door.

"Kasumi?!" questioned Takeshi, as her appearance had changed and he was not really sure if it was her.

"Hm!" she nodded and walked inside. "Have you settled in?"

"This building in this part of the city were in better condition than were we used to live. Blankets, covers, clothes, food, water and all necessary equipment was offered to us by volunteers and the government. We own more now than before." Takeshi explained at her as he was sitting on a broken desk.

"I heard so. I even was told that there still plenty of children living here." Kasumi said as she gazed around and leaped on a broken counter and sat.

"We would never allow to take our family away. The people here live all their lives here. They belong here." Lala added as she was curious why Kasumi would show up around their parts.

"I thought so. Yet, you cannot refuse them a proper way to grow up. At least the children?!" Kasumi clarified. She was a honest and direct person. If she needed to say something she would say it with out overthink it. She would speak her mind out.

Yu laughed "And how will we do that? We hardly can afford a male per person. You think there is money to pay fees for the children to addend school. And even if we somehow found the money. Would they be accepted?"

"Neither way. We will help you open an elementary school here." Kasumi simply said and caught everyone's attention.

"What do you mean?" Takeshi asked her now more serious.

"You know with all the publicity you guys getting. I managed today to get permission to open an elementary school here. I already have few people in mind who could teach. Myself included. You only need to find a building that is safe enough and name it." she informed them as she looked through her purse and pulled out few folders and placed it next to the counter. "Here you will find the legal facts and anything that give you the permission to open that school. I will leave that in your care." she added.

Takeshi rose from his seat and strolled over looking at the folders. "She is telling the truth." he noted as he went on reading and gazing at Kasumi a bit confused.

"We could find a building. But we need desks, books?" Said P considering it serious.

"I will have someone bring the Desks today. As for the books I have something in mind. You make sure to find the building and have it clean and neatly." she ensured them.

"Are you serious?" Yu quizzed astonished.

Kasumi nodded and signal at Takeshi "There is one more think i need. And its personal. At least for now!"

Takeshi followed her outside so they could talk on their own. "What do you need?" he asked her.

"I need two things. Well one thing and a favor." she revealed "I need a place were i can train. Just an empty space that can offer privacy and shadow."

Takeshi scratched his head "I can find you such a place. What kind of training?" he curious asked her.

"Mostly professional fighting. I don't mind if you guys will used it to train too. But, I want to be sure i can used it when i have free time." Kasumi said.

"It's done. And what is the favor?" he puzzled.

"I want... or better i need to learn those acrobatics. Or as much as I can? Will you help me with that?" Kasumi asked him.

"I can ask P to help you with that. He is still training many with that. Yet, why would you need it?" Takeshi wondered gazing at her.

She sighed "I told you I want to get trained. What i mean i want to learn to fight like a pro. Adding few of your moves would be helpful." she explained.

"Fine with me. Though, who will train you? I am not sure any of the Sannoh are pro fighters or at least the remaining ones." Takeshi said. Kasumi's visit confused him a lot today.

"No he is not from the Sannoh district. You will find out if he agrees to help me. Anyway, be sure to have ready the building. I will try to sent the desk and books today. After class, I will pass-by and we can talk about the schedule and who else could help. You could also ask around your people. Maybe there is someone who can teach. That would be also more helpful." Kasumi lastly said.

"There are surely people, who used to be teachers. I am not sure if they want to teach. However, if they want, you will know by evening. One more thing, why are you helping?" Takeshi wished to know. Everyone showed here and there to offer some help. Yet, Kasumi was organizing something different.

"Because of what happened to Smoky was my father's doings. Well, his men doings. Let's say I want to pay you back for the sorrow that the Iemura brought you." Kasumi honestly told him as she dropped her gaze.

Takeshi sighed "Right it was said that you were his daughter. It was true then. Yet, it was not your fault. You do not own us anything." He tapped her shoulder "It was Kuryu and not you. At least we know our friend from our foe."

"Clearly you do. Still I had to do something. That's all." she responded casting a glance at him.

"And what about evolving your fighting skills? Has that also so do with the Iemura causing Smoky's death?" Takeshi questioned her.

Though Kasumi denied it. "I just want to be able to fight in a better level. It has nothing to do with the Iemura." she ensured Takeshi. But for the first time she was not saying the truth.

Takeshi nodded and tapped once more her shoulder. "We are done then?" was his last question.

Kasumi nodded "Yes, see you later!" she said taking her leave and waving at him.

Takeshi waved at her back watching her disappear under the collapsed buildings. Next he informed P, that he may need to train her when ever asked. P liked the idea and surely he would keep it as a secret. Then he gathered everyone at the south west part of the city were a building still stood. They started to clean it and getting it ready. As for the hiding training arena. Takeshi and P found it years ago. And they would simply share it with her.


Today's mission was one of the hardest that Kasumi organized. Simply because she was acting on her own again. Cobra told her many times, that she should wait before acting on her own. She knew that, she should have talked with him. Specially now that they were closer than ever. Of course, the leader of Sannoh Rengokai would help. Yet, Kasumi's guild was guiding her to act on her own.

Finally, she had reached Oya High. Now for a girl alone to step into Oya Kohkoh, it was big news and a bit dangerous. Kasumi did not care. She pulled herself up from her bike and strolled into the entrance. The few members that were around gazed at her confused. What was a well dressed young lady doing in their parts. Murayama was informed at once and he walked downstairs meeting her at the main entrance of the school.

"Kasumi-chan!?" the Oya High leader shouted getting her attention. "Are you lost? Cobra-chan is the other way around?" he said in a playfully tone.

She narrowed her gaze against him "Oshiage told you already? Damn! News travel fast!" she complained and smiled at him.

"Why are you here?" he asked her as his tone became serious.

Kasumi pause and looked around. So many desks broken or set on fire. She pointed at the desks and chairs. "I need desks and chairs. As many you can gift away!" she simply told him.

Murayama tilted his head in confusion "Anything for Cobra-chan's girl. But why?"

"Furuya drives that truck still right? You have to load all the available desks and chairs and take them in the Nameless city to Takeshi. We are trying to help them open a elementary school for the children there." Kasumi filled him in.

His lips cracked and he smiled. "I like the plan, count me in. We can offer desks and chairs!" he ensured it.

"I know you could. There were too many broken and not in use. Those kids could really use them. Takeshi will wait you today. When ever you want make sure they are delivered." Kasumi stated as she was fixing her hair.

"Kasumi-chan is really a busy spirit!" Murayama called her like that and clapped his hands.

"I have not talked with Cobra about this yet. So, don't give me up!" she said and took off.

Murayama assured her that everything would be delivered today and that he would not tell anything around Sannoh, until she would. Then he gave his goodbyes and watched her leave. Next he called Furuya and Seki to help him gather all available desks and chairs and load them into the truck. They would bring it to the nameless city as promised.


It was already noon when Kasumi arrived at the headquartered in Tokyo (Otemachi) of Nishimura & Asahi. They domestic branch offices were in the Central Towers. Kasumi had applied for her internship in the biggest law firm in Japan. She was accepted and today she had to show up and and sign the 6 months contract with them. She would only work part time, as she was still studying law. And that was exactly what she did. She showed up and signed up her contract. That was one of the reason she was formal dressed.

As she stepped outside she came face to face with Noboru. She invited him for lunch telling him she needed a favor. At lunch she reveal her plan to establish the elementary school around the Nameless city and everything she had done that morning. She asked for his help to tutor also, since he was cable to teach. Noboru was taking by surprise at the work she had already done in such small time. He was glad to help. Kasumi told him to show up around the Nameless city late that evening so they could talk with the rest. She noted that Cobra was not notified yet, and she would personally call him when everything was ready.

After all the Hoodlum Squad Leader was busy helping the rest in the Sannoh district to stand on their feet. He never thought that it would be such busy day. When is work in the Gas station was done, there were many people still dealing with the aftermath of the distraction that Kuryu brought. Kasumi knew he would be busy. And she would never bother him. Plus, she started liking the way things went. Her mind was at ease. The butterflies in her stomach were sleeping. The rainbows and the pink clouds settled down and her heart was beating at normal pace. She was safe for now.


Her next stop was Daruma-Ikka. Hyuga thought he was dreaming. Surely the fireworks from yesterday burned his brain cells. As Kasumi walked closer, only then he noticed that it was not a random young lady. But Kasumi. Of course still her visit around the Daruma district was a major blow. The Daruma members gazed at her with their jaws dropped as she by-passed them with not a care in the world. It was like she was paying a visit to a friend. Daruma Ikka's Leader chuckled waiting to see why she showed up around their territory.

"Does Cobra know that you ended up here?" Hyuga directly asked her glaring at her. "You know we are not having any festivals"

Kasumi shock her head and stepped closer "Festivals? I may have an opportunity for you for the next fest!" she said smiling.

"I am listening." he told her waiting to be informed by her.

"We are opening an elementary school in Nameless city. They need books, textbooks and stationery. Murayama will bring the desks and chairs. You make sure you deliver the books and the rest today. Takeshi will be waiting you!" Kasumi did not asked but ordered.

"Oi! Are you now direct me what to do?" Hyuga yelled at her.

Kasumi smiled at him "Don't be late." she simply added and turned around to leave.

"What makes you so sure we can find elementary books?" Daruma's Boss was speechless at her actions. Was she really that fearless to step into his region and order him around.

"Hyuga-san, you managed to find all that firework. And I know you like festivals. But still it takes a special power to do that. That means you can be helpful and find books for children in need, right?" Kasumi waited for his confirmation.

"We will be there." he agreed and waved at her. Now, he could guess why she showed up in most of the fights. He was wanted to ask Cobra, how sure he was to let a girl being part around those dangerous fights. Now, he knew she would be part of the fight, even if Cobra declined.

It was almost 4pm and Kasumi managed to arrange anything they needed to open the elementary school. Next she attended in a two hour class. It was after 6 when she leaped into her bike and went to met with the person that should train her.


The door bell rang as Kasumi waited in front of the door of the Gothic apartment to be opened. The lock was turned and the door opened, revealing a sleepy male wearing a white shirt and black sport pants. He buried his hands in his hair as he yawned seizing up and down the well dress lady in front of him. His head tilted very fast confused as he stepped aside and let her in.

He stepped close to the fridge, grabbing a soda. "Do you want anything to drink?" he asked her. And she shock her head. "Then why are you here?" he questioned her and closed the fridge climbing on the sofa in a leg cross position.

"Were is Masaki?" Kasumi asked him directly.

"Out! Not sure when he will return!" Hiroto said.

"Well you will do then." Kasumi said and bounced on the sofa next to him. She leaned closer and drunk some of his soda. "Listen We are helping to open an elementary school around the Nameless city. If you want to help you can show around later this evening" Kasumi explained.

Hiroto affirmed that he would show up. "Is that all?" he asked expecting a better reason for her to show up around those parts.

"I know Takeru-san taught you both well to fight, in a professional level." she turned and faced him "I want you to show me what its like. To train me!"

Hiroto cough and almost spit his drink. "Like you don't have people to help you with that!" he backfired.

"True! I know many that could help me. Yet, again I want the best." Kasumi told him waiting for an answer.

"Kohaku?" he quizzed.

"No way! Maybe he can be listed better or equal with you. But he is no, for other reasons." Kasumi responded. "Listen I found a place around the Nameless city. I really want to be trained seriously. And i will keep it a secret. Well, Takeshi and P maybe only know." she revealed at him.

Hiroto's days were after all boring. Now that they had everything settle with the Kuryu, there was not much he would do. Being around the nameless city, he kinda liked the idea. "I don't mind training you. The question is why? " he mumbled at her thinking. Hiroto paused and read her. "You want revenge! Smoky's death ... the Iemura were behind it!" Hiroto said with an astonished look.

"Hiroto-san, lets leave the why unanswered for now." Kasumi responded "I will take that as a yes then. See you later"

Hiroto swayed with short, quick and irregular moved his head in disbelieve. He guessed Kasumi's plans, thinking if it was him. He would do exactly the same. "See ya!" Hiroto added.

Kasumi sipped some of his drink and left. She closed the door behind her when she received a message on her phone. It was from the university admission office. Her last semester tuition fees were not paid yet. She rubbed her eyes and read the message again. She had forgotten that most important part. She signed in on her bank account. Her savings were not enough to pay for the fees. She had a few months to deposit the money. The problem was, where would she find so much money in a short time. The internship would only pay her, a small amount of money.


The last place Kasumi could find a job that would pay enough was only in a Club. She leaped on her bike and drove in club Heaven. The new place was much better and bigger than the old one. They had already set everything and would opened tomorrow. Kizzy made a happy face when he watched Kasumi enter. He poked Rocky showing him Kasumi. Rocky took off his sun-glasses and stared at her as she walked down the stairs. Next she strolled over where he was. She greeted everyone and then she focused on Rocky.

"Are you still looking for employs?" Kasumi put a question on the table.

"Mostly dancers." he confirmed as he played with the handcuffs.

"I have around two months or so to pay my tuition's fees. Not other job available?" she requested him.

"Dancing is a no, if it's for you then. I don't want Cobra to kill us. Inside the bar, if you can tune in. In a busy day the orders come and go really fast. Kizzy can teach you. Any extra show while you are inside the bar, like playing with fire joggling bottles will paid extra. If you want it the job is yours." Rocky informed her.

A well paid job, around people she could trust. After all White Rascals always protected the women. She was more than save there. "Count me in! When do i start!" she agreed.

"Tomorrow around 9 pm be here. You know attired are offered up stairs." he added gazing at her "What is happening at the Nameless city?" was his last question.

"Opening an elementary school. Are you going to help?" Kasumi asked "You found out already."

"I will send Koo. Yes, I did! Hyuga called me. A right move." Rocky admitted.

Kasumi talked a bit longer with the Leader of the White Rascals. Then she thanked him and left. On her way to the nameless city she called Cobra. She asked him if he was not busy he should take the guys and show around the Nameless city. She informed him about her plan and that she managed to establish an elementary school there. Cobra was caught off guard. But Kasumi was Kasumi. He surprised him again. He confirmed that he would show up with the guys.


Nameless city, time the late the same Evening. The building was found and cleaned. Oya High and Daruma, indeed showed up and were unloading desks and chairs, books and other supplies. Noboru and Koo cooperated and manage to come out with a schedule. Few people of the nameless city agreed to help. Kasumi was also assigned to teach few classes. Sannoh were already there too. Hiroto, as well as Masaki, were dragged around by the kids. The remaining Daruma lit a fire and BBQ. After all they always did the festival on the own. Everything was ready, as the night slowly showed its face. Everyone gathered around the fire to warm up, talk and eat. Even Rocky, Kohaku and Tsukumo showed up. Kasumi settled next to Cobra. She had after all a lot to explain. In one day so many factors changed. She was not sure were to begin with.

"I cannot believe you managed to pull up something like that in one day!" Tsukumo said as he grabbed a beer and was trying to opened it up.

"It was not us! We only found and cleaned the building!" Lala informed them.

"Kasumi organized everything." Takeshi admitted. As he gave her a light bow to thank her.

"And SWORD obeyed!" Murayama added with a childish smile as he was trying to pull Oshiage to sit next to him.

Cobra turned suddenly and looked at Kasumi in awe. "I thought you had school?" he asked her not sure if he should get angry or wait until he heard the whole story.

"I did. I also was accepted in Nishimura & Asahi for my internship. I passed by and signed today around noon. I met Noboru there." Kasumi informed Cobra as she leaned against him.

He smirked and ruffled her hair "Congrats! Those are great news." He softly wrapped his arm around her holding her close. "Did you dragged everyone in this mess?" he quizzed pinning his eyes on her.

"She went down there on her own asking Murayama to bring the desks and chairs. Hyuga to bring the books." Dan gave her away as Lala had told him.

Cobra smiled at her, yet there something bothering him. "Again Kasumi, does things on her own!" he noted.

"On my defense!" she cried out casting a glance on him "You were busy helping Sannoh."

Cobra nodded letting again the matter drop. "And let's see you will attend classes. You will work in the law office and teach here. Will you be alright?" he asked her a bit worried.

"I will be more busy than that!" she said as as she tangled her fingers against his shirt.

"More?" Cobra quizzed.

"My my tuition's fees were never paid for the last semester. My savings are not enough. The money from the internship is not much. So I found a part time work." she blurred out hoping Cobra would not kill her tonight. Cobra was not sure how to react. He sat straight an waited to hear were she would work.

Rocky lifted his arm getting his attention. "There was a free spot in club heaven. Inside the bar. Its save nothing to worry!" he pointed out.

"You already asked Rocky?" his eyes made a 'wow-action' as his brain was trying to process all the details. He knew how capable Kasumi was. That's why today he thought that Sannoh District was to small to hold her. In one day and she had already established a elementary school, asked help from everyone around SWORD and was accepted and was already planning her life. Cobra was proud about her. The only thing bothering him, was like it already felt like Kasumi was opening her wings.

Kasumi wrapped her arms around him and sat on his lap. She leaned closer and kissed him, not caring that everyone could see them. "Janpai-san! What worries you?" he asked him. As he spotted the changed into his eyes. Kasumi had seen Cobra in many states, it was now a habit to start reading him.

Cobra her hair and smiled "I am not worried. I am really happy that you are slowly finding your path!" he ensured her.

"Not sure if you will manage to fit everything in one day" Masaki said as he stretched "And with Hiroto training you? When will you sleep?" he dropped the bomb.

Cobra serious face was back. He glared at Hiroto and then pinned his gaze at Kasumi. "Kasumi explain?" he uttered. Hiroto rolled his eyes not believing his brother would just expose the secret.

Kasumi gave a murderous gaze at Masaki. Who only then found out, how foolish he was. "Fine, Fine! I guess is better this way. I asked Hiroto to help me with my fighting skills. Takeshi has a fighting arena with a boxing ring and everything. That is all." she disclosed not daring to gaze at Cobra.

Cobra drummed his fingers on the wooden seat. "Kasumi If you want to level your fighting skills. I am not against that. And Amamiya are a good choice. Yet, the reason that brought you to that disclosure. I am worried about that."

Kasumi nodded and cuddled against him tight."There is no reason. I just really want to get better." she tried to assure him.

The leader of Hoodlum Squad had heard too much that night. If she really just wanted to become better in fighting, he had no reason to oppose the idea. He wrapped his arms around her pulling her closer. Almost declaring that she was his. Though, he gave a last glare at Hiroto "I hope the only reason is just for getting better in fighting!" it was an open threat against Hiroto.

Hiroto nodded his head. The younger of the Amamiya brother knew it, if something would go wrong and something happened to Kasumi. He was good as dead. Not only Cobra would come after him. Everyone around SWORD seemed to be fond of her. She was their friend and they trusted her.

The night went on like that. SWORD were united one more time in a fest that Daruma organized best. They talked a lot. They eat and relaxed like they were just old friends who hang around. After a long time, and after so much pain and tears, they could finally spend some time all together. From tomorrow everyone would be back to their old routine. More problems would rise. New enemies would appear. And dangers would knock on their doors. Yet, as long as they could keep the balance and cooperate they could win anything.

((Next:: Act Thirty))


More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!