Hoodlum Squad's Leader downfall

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

"Those bastards!" Yamato roared and kicked a barrel that was close to him "Let's go!"

The remaining Hoodlum Squad had gather themselves in a ruined building to plan what comes next. Cobra had directly provoked one of the nine dragons and they were waiting for trouble. This time they would play with their rules, since they playing on their own land. Sannoh Rengokai seemed like the wild gang they were months ago before all the trouble with Kuryu started.

Kasumi wore a puzzled expression and had not talked at all. She followed them after the station to what ever madness they were getting into. She was staring at Cobra, whose mind was still a surging perplexity. He seemed lost, different from the leader he was. She was not sure how to react. Simply hit his head and bring him back to reality. But then again reality was causing him to be like that. She palmed her head not sure what to make out the situation.

"Cobra!" his named echoed against the building as Dan suddenly showed up. He was followed by Tettsu, Chiharu and few others. Cobra, who was still in the same state of losing himself gazed up at him.

"Why are you guys here?" Noboru stood up and asked them. After all Dan and they others did not want to be part any longer of their doings.

"It's Kuryu." Chiharu noted standing behind Dan.

"I told you already. You can't mess with Kuryu. Because of you, we got attacked! It's fine if you want to destroy Kuryu, but think about your friends too!" Dan voiced up with out even filtering his words. "That's how the Hoodlum Squad should be!" he added and stepped forward to attack Cobra and was stopped by Yamato.

"Dan!" Yamato shouted.

Cobra did not answer, he was gazing at him clouded. With every word Dan said, he lost a bit of himself. He did let his friends down. What was that new feeling that grew in his heart. It was not suppose to be like that.

"We're out of the group. We came here today to tell you that. Let's go." Dan clarified then he left with Tettsu, Chiharu and the others. He gazed Cobra above his shoulder and added "Cobra. I've warned you. Even if you guys make mistakes, don't forget that you have friends who believe and follow you. And you forgot that!"

"I know that even if you don't tell me." he mumbled to himself too defeat even to stand up. Things were really bad. Yet, seeing his team breaking up and he being the cause, was for Cobra a major blow. There's nothing more lonely, nothing that brings more desolation to the soul.

Kasumi could not watch Cobra any longer like that. She stepped up and grabbed him from his arms demanding his attention. "You cannot lose it now!" she scolded him.

Cobra simply free form her grip and pushed her away. He did not say anything to her. After all there was nothing he could say. He ignored her. That was the easiest path he could take. "Listen up, guys." he stated gazing at everyone. His tone deep and monotonic "For the time being, don't go out too much. Kuryu might be waiting. They're going to start over here this time."

And that's how it was. When ever Kuryu showed they faced them in the own territory. Wearing black scarfs hiding their faces, the fights were serious. Cobra overdid it, showing there something big bothering him. Dan's words were still ringing in his head. And he thought, it was his fault and only his. In his path to reached bottom, he decided to attack openly Kuryu on his own. He could not find a way out of the darkness that was surrounding them. He attacked Katsunari's men and beat some of them. Though that rainy night Cobra was caught by Kuryu and they would not go easy on him.


The rest of SWORD were also dealing with major problems. As every region was destroyed and the leaders were brought to their knees. It was clear now even if they ended up dead, they would fight Kuryu until the end. What paused them, was as the news spread out that Cobra was missing. Everyone of the SWORD leaders were quick to come to his aid. As they recalled what the leader of Sannoh Rengokai did for them.

Fighting with Murayama and helping him to find himself. How could the Oya High Leader forget that. Refusing to fight Hyuga and showing him it was another way to honor his brothers than starting and fight between SWORD. Even bringing himself to break up Hoodlum Squad if needed for the sake of Noboru. Running to aid Rocky, even if it cost him to lose some of his friends. If they thought about Cobra's act he was the glue that held everyone together.

Even Kohaku. As hard as it was to agree to fight with someone who he trusted and thought as a friend. He ended up dueling with him to bring him back to his old self. There was no way Kohaku and Tsukumo would forget that. When they found out that Cobra was captured. They could not stand down. After all as Cobra reminded him 'Mugen always stand by their friends.' How could Kohaku forget that.

Kasumi found out last, that Cobra was missing. She did not to figure out what happened. It was clear that the Kuryu had something to do with that. In her panic, not know which way to go, she drove her a black Harley-Davidson Street 750 and ended up in the Iemura headquarters. Her father would surely know. And even if she sward never to see him again. This moment a discomfort in her chest, a feeling in her brain like excess caffeine, then it set in deeper. She felt the urge to run and safe, that one person that was so important to her.

She stormed into the office, without even asking for approval. And who stood on her way she simply attacked or tried to overpass them. She reached her fathers office. Since most were in the Nameless city Iemura's men were less. She almost flew through the door and hit her fist against her fathers desk demanding to know where Cobra was.

Tatsumi witnessed his daughter seriousness and cruelty for the first time. Kasumi reminded him always of his wife. Only today, it looked like he was facing a younger version of himself. Yet, he answered her. He called Katsunari and found out where Cobra was taken. Of course, he noted that even if she would speed there, she would be too late.

Kasumi did not respond. She found out what she needed. Her mind was set to find Cobra and help him. The rest were details she simply ignored. Her brain did not understand the passage of time, did not acknowledge the trauma. She wanted to jump right out of her skin and join the ether. She felt like a kid, shaking, terrified. The constricted feelings grew, as if she was strangled by just the air about her. She leaped into her bike and drove off. She was not sure how fast she was running. Yet, she noticed how many red lights she by-passed and how many people she avoided hitting.


He could hear his heart beat strongly, one beat after the other. His mind was still dizzy and his vision bleary. The first thing he could clearly see were his hands tighten up with leather straps. Indeed his arms were tight, he could sense it now. He could not say that was the pain that woke him up. He panted gazing at the old light rocking above his head. He recalled how he ended up there. He was caught by Katsunari's men.

Fujimori pulled him from his hair "We were supposed to bring back Rude Boys' leader." he said and freed his grip "Right? Who went over there?" he asked another man who was standing behind him. Katsunari was sitting in his left side and only looking at what was happening. "Iemura, huh? He's so careless with his work." he added.

Cobra had now all his senses back. He was sitting on his knees, shirtless and tight up. He struggled once to free his hands but he was tight bound. He listened that Iemura went for Smoky. Even in that state his mind jumped and he was worried about the Rude Boys' Leader.

"We're the ones that have to throw out garbage." Fujimori said as he knelt close to Cobra and pointed at him "Like you! Go ahead." he ordered.

Yasu, a member of Katsunari, picked up a baseball bat attacking against Cobra. He hit him twice against his stomach and punched him against his face. Every muscle has seized up. His body was struggling to recover, to repair the previous damage. Unable to move with any grace his movements, he groaned in pain.

Until, Katsunari paused him calling Yasu's name. He stood up and grabbed the bat from Yasu hands, and went on beating Cobra. Against his ghostly skin the bruises were grotesque, but he was lucky not to have broken bones. He looked as beat up more than most of his sparing days. His mouth was oozing blood, and each strike ached so deadly. He panted, yet he kept glaring at Katsunari.

"This guy, huh? You beat him up good." said Kurosaki, who showed up and Cobra's torture came to a pause. "What happened?" he questioned.

"You don't need to be here." Katsunari noted.

"It's surprising to see you here, Kurosaki-san." Fujimori said. True be told, Kurosaki word counted more than most president of the nine dragons. And since he was the most logic of all nine. They did not want him around.

"Kuryu has to change." Kurosaki spoke with a soft voice and walked closer to Cobra "For that to happen, we need a new wind like you." He bend closer to Cobra waiting for an answer. "How about it? Do you want to join us?" he asked him as he pulled him from his hair.

Cobra although beaten very badly he waved his head free from his grip and cried out glaring at him "Don't with me, you piece of . Kuryu doesn't need something like wind."

"Is that so. That's too bad. Continue." Kurosaki said and withdraw. Katsunari followed him telling the rest to feet him a bucket of cement and Fujimori informed them that they would be in the nameless city.

It was then when hope was lost. Cobra let his head fall back and leaned against his tight arms. His mind wheeled 'All we wanted was to protect this city. What was beyond that pain? What did we brandish our fists for? I just wanted to protect my friends. Although I can't brag about the way I've lived, this town is like our way of life. And If it was stolen from our hearts, it wouldn't be worth it to keep living. I just...' His thoughts paused as two men starting beating him up again.

Before the others returned with cement, the door opened and Kasumi walked in. Her eyes rested against Cobra as he was in a bloody mess. In one shattered moment her heart and breathing stop, just stop. She could feel the ground below her collapse. She bit her lips, as she had to stay strong. She stepped up and the men stopped and gazed at her confused.

"What are you doing here?" puzzled the first as the second scanned her from head to toe.

"I am here to get him. Iemura needs him alive." she demanded loudly. Cobra gathered his remaining energy and looked up. His eyes opened widely, and his body jump. 'What the hell is she doing here?' his mind thought first before his lips could speak.

The man laughed at Kasumi's words. "Why would the Iemura send you? They could just call? Plus Kurosaki was just hear and we were not informed about that?"

"I know that. I am Iemura Tatsumi's daughter. My father just needs him alive. Then you can do with him what ever you want. Set him free!" she shouted loudly.

"Oh! Kasumi-san." said the other man with a wicked smile "We know your story. Weren't you like fighting with those Sannoh Guys. You see we are well informed." the man added and turned against her.

"Damn!" Kasumi mumbled to herself and started with a side kick, crushing the talking men against the wall. And with out waiting she ended the second one with a double punch.

Then she knelt close to Cobra. Her eyes filled with tears as she tried to free him from his gyves. "Those excuses of human beings.." she coursed them in a trembling voice. "Hang on, I will take you out of here!" she ensured him as she tried her best to cut the leather straps.

Cobra was beat up as good as he could be. There were bruises and cuts all over his body. And he was about to faint and give up. "Kasumi.. " he mumbled with broken words "Its dangerous... leave..."He was in worse state now. As it was a different thing to die on his own. And different to have a dear one facing the same danger. He struggled and pushed her away. "Leave they are..."

But he could not end his line, as the rest of the gang walked in. They were bringing the cement as the witnessed Kasumi trying to free him. She did not manage to react. As one kicked her in her belly and she crushed against the wall. "Let's feet him now. And we will deal with you later sweetheart" one man said and walked over to Cobra. He pulled him from his head and pushed a funner into his mouth.

Kasumi grabbed her belly and tried to force herself up. How could she stand down at time like that. She felt her muscles twist as she pushed with all her force trying to stand as the man was ready to feed him.

Suddenly, the man that was standing on the door was crushed against the one that was trying to feed Cobra. Kasumi turned and gazed at the door. "That smoothie looks disgusting." Kohaku said loudly.

"What if you give him indigestion?" Tsukumo added. Then both attacked and crushed the remaining men with few strikes.

Kohaku run over to Cobra softly pulling him up. "Cobra." he called him out to get his attention.

"Kohaku-san!" Cobra responded gazing at Kohaku and Tsukumo.

Kohaku managed to pulled him free from those leather strips. Tsukumo noticed Kasumi. He went over and helped her up. Kasumi leaned against him as they both walked over to Cobra worried.

"They're going to get Smoky!" Cobra informed them.

Next he turned, knowing already what face Kasumi would make, and so she did. Her eyes got that wide look, her bottom lip trembled and she hurried to be by his side, as Kohaku finally freed him. Her eyes walked from one injury to another, taking in the gore that was Cobra. He could see the conflict already, her wanting to be strong for him and the raw need to weep welling up. Yet, she held her tears in and wrapped her arm around him softly helping him to stand up.

Cobra needed one second to gather his remaining breath. He was beaten pretty badly and his body was reminding him of that. Yet, he could not just submit to his pain. Indeed he had lost himself, back there. And he was not sure if he had found him. But they needed to run and help Smokey. He pause a second gazing at Kasumi "I am so thankful, you are safe." Cobra mumbled. The idea only to see Kasumi hurt was something he could never handle. "Baka!" he added.

Kasumi cracked a smile filled with tears and looked around for his clothes. Kohaku helped her and they dressed up Cobra. Neither Kohaku or Tsukumo asked her how she found the place or why she was even there. For now saving Smoky was more important. All four walked over to their bikes and leaped over. Only Cobra sat behind Kasumi as this time he had not his bike with him. He pulled his arms around her and leaned against her back. He tighten his grip and rested his head against her back. It was all she needed to know that he was alive. So she could breathe once more and ease her heart.

As for Cobra, he never recalled how long the beating had gone on for, only the final kick and the sound of the iron funner falling when Kohaku run to their rescue. His face wasn't too bad, just a double cut above his eyebrow and a bruise eye, the scarlet blood flowing into his eyes and oozing from his mouth. It was his body that was damaged almost beyond the point at which recovery was possible. The thing just broke something inside of him, something that would remain long after his skin and bones were healed. It was a sadness in his eyes, a heaviness, an unyielding sorrow that slowed his speech and robbed him of his once strong self. Yet, the sadness was something that existed before the beating. It was something that started with Dan's words and was still there with him.

((Next:: Act Twenty-Five))


More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!