SWORD PACT Or Not?

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

It was a quiet day were idled away, he was sitting in a armchair near the most sunny window. The song was the gentle hum of the laundry machine and the rhythmic passing of vehicles. The high notes were the lately vacancies around Sannoh district. Slowly, most of the shops were closing down and his father's bath house was one of those. He liked helping his father, while working at the baths. It could be less than therapeutic, but he was a sannoh boy, and these were the sounds of home and the place he grew up. Yet, everything would be soon taken away from him, from his family and even his friends would lose their homes and business.

Light steps were suddenly noticeable in the entrance, as a black hair short person walked inside. That person looked like she came from an underground concert. Worn and torn jeans covered her legs, a old faded muscle tank clad her torso. Her laced up calf high boots were tapping on the ground with a fast pace. Her metal black eyes stared directly at the person that was sitting in the armchair. She swap her fingers through her black hair that had grown just a little longer and sighed. She was sure she would find him there. Although, his appearance had changed due his knew haircut. He was still the same person.

"Kasumi!" he cried out surprised. "Why are you here?" he puzzled. The Iemura daughter never paid a visit inside the baths. After all it was for men. He also met with her daily in Itokan Diner, like everyone from the Sannoh Gang. He knew she would talk want to talk with him private. As a friend, a close friend, she cared. He appreciated that she was worried about him. True be told, it was better to face Kasumi at the moment than the leader of Hoodlum Squad.

Kasumi cracked a smile and walked and sat to the armchair next to his. She pocked his forehead staring at his hair. "Baka! You went and cut your hair. No one would recognize you any longer." she told with a light tone. She crossed her legs and locked her gaze on him. "Why are you hiding? Will you not come with us?" she asked him. Although, she already knew the answer. She was worried about him lately and few more members. She sensed something was slowly breaking inside the Sannoh Rengokai. Since Cobra was dealing with more serious matters that include not only Sannoh but everyone from SWORD.

"Kasumi, don't tell me that too. Dan said the exact same thing. I am the same person." was Tettsu response. He gazed at her back with a fainting smile. He acknowledged her effort to comfort him. Kasumi was that one person, who would managed that. Give a helping hand to a friend. Even if their point of views were divided. Since she agreed with Cobra's plans. Yet, she understood how Tettsu felt. "I will be there. Waiting for Dan. Don't worry." Tettsu ensured her.

Kasumi nodded and stood close to him placing her hand on his shoulder. "You know, what is happening had an impact to all of us. These days Cobra deals with SWORD. But it does not mean he is not aware about what happens in Sannoh District. All five districts are under attack. We have to face that." Kasumi explained. "And he is not good with words. Yet, he cares about Sannoh and his friends."Kasumi added.

"I get it. I know Cobra longer than you do. He will do something!" Tettsu replied trying to guarantee that he would show up with the rest. And he was fighting with his own insecurities and would face them. If was true or not, only time would show.


Knowing more would not make someone perfect, on the contrary, it shows just how imperfect that person may be and how much there is to work on. It was the same case with the leader of Hoodlum Squad. Putting together the puzzle and finding answers slowly, made things worse. Slowly their foes were increasing and reality hit them hard. It was not only Sannoh Rengokai, it had to do with everyone from SWORD. He knew and he knew it well, it was time for them to unite their power. Cobra hoped to bring about an entente with SWORD. That was the main reason he had already sent a word with leaders of sword and their members to meet at an abandoned fighting arena.

Pain is invisible, subjective and open dispute unless it is one's own pain. Aches are worse, always taken to be less then they are and hardly ever thought of without the possibility of the sufferer magnifying their woes. Hate was not any different. Hate was the devil's path, and left its ash-strewn surface without a single footprint. There is no prize worth the corruption of the soul; hate brings only pain and the cycles of destruction upon us all. Yet, Cobra was acting not because of Soreness or loathe. In his mind he could foresee what was happening. And an agreement between SWORD would be needed soon.

The leader of Sannoh Rengokai sat on his usual seat on the leather red couch. He was spacing off with his mind wheeling about the meeting that would occur an hour later. His facial features was motionless and his gaze deadly. There he was sitting looking handsome and wicked at the same time. If his wicked act was missing, his uncompromising sight and the toughness in his voice. He would be a very attractive young man. Who could easy steal your breath away. But was made him unbeatable was his toughness. The wildness he possessed; wildness that grew on him day by day. Making him the person he was. Years back when he was just a Mugen member he had a light personality. He talked a lot, he was immature, he fought a lot and he could be naive and cute. Yet, now that part of him was long gone. The matter or situations regarded as unwelcome or harmful needed to be dealt with and overcome. And troubles would only expand day by day.

Kasumi strolled inside the Itokan Diner and simple sat next to him. Her boldness had grown lately as she was finding her own path. She was no longer the daughter of the enemy. She declared herself to be a Sannoh member than a corrupted one by Iemura. The Iemura crossed the line and she would not forget it. Even if her own father was their boss. She would not rest, until she could ensure herself that all of her friends would be safe. Lately, she dragged herself deeper than she would imagine. It was not only about Sannoh region, she was worried about SWORD. Everyone was dealing the same messy situation. She was the first person she agreed with Cobra when he spoke about uniting SWORD. If it had been official done. Then they should.

Cobra decided to return back to reality and cast a glance shaking his head. Her attire of torn jeans and faded muscle tank was not really her. He remembered the girl with the formal outfit, the fake make up that forced her way into Sannoh. And now there she was sitting next to him as a different person. She had changed a lot. Not only her appearance. Her long hair, her fashionable and girly attires and her attitude. This days she was a combination of those. When she was attending classes she would be dressed formal, wear make up and look so far away from him. Kasumi on her formal days, was like a person that felt in the wrong region. Yet, on her every day life she was just like everyone. Causal outfits, let out personality and always standing on Cobra's way.

Kasumi's willingness to take risks and act innovative was close to Cobra's. She would speak her mind out and strongly to the leader of Hoodlum Squad. Cobra like and dislike that part of hers. She could fight strongly for some reasons. And she could simply trust him and follow him for some others. Cobra did not tell her, but Kasumi was slowly becoming someone very important. He did not dare to name how important she was to him. Yet, not being part of his life was not an option. Like Yamato and Noboru, she was already important to him. And sometimes even more important than them. Because Kasumi was a bit different than them. Yet, he did not to say how much different.

"Tettsu is still worried, losing the bathhouse had an impact on him." Kasumi said as she leaned against the couch "Yet, he will still come at the meeting. Dan and the others too."

"Ah, Soda! (Yes, that's right!) Though it will troublesome if we don't do anything." Cobra responded. He had noticed Tettsu reaction lately. It was effecting Dan, Chiharu and few others. He should talk with Tettsu soon. But today's meeting could not be avoided. It was time for Sword to meet.

"Have you already spoken with the others?" Kasumi questioned. She turned and faced Cobra waiting for his answer.

"Everyone is already informed. We should be leaving soon!" Cobra answered. Suddenly, he paused and looked at Kasumi. "Are you planning to follow us?" he asked her half curious and half furious.

Kasumi rose her eyebrow "Of course I will follow. Do you expect to remain here and wait?" she simply uttered.

"Kasumi, you remaining in Sannoh district was already something big we agreed. Yet, following us everywhere it is not safe." Cobra explained her with a serious tone. He was happy that Kasumi was always on his side. But these days were serious and dangerous. He wanted her to slow down and think more about the outfalls.

Kasumi stood up and glared at him "That cannot be done! If its dangerous or not, I will follow. And today surely there will be no danger." she voiced up. "I will see you there then!"

"Kasumi!" his tone strict and angry "You have already followed us enough in this madness. There is already a bright future for you. Or are you planning to act like a yankee?"

Kasumi laughed "You cannot make me quit! Yankee or not! Here I am home!" She winked at him and walked out. Those moments were rare, but for now on they happened more frequently. Cobra being worried about her. Yet, she was would not listen. One reason was because, she felt guilty since her father caused this madness. Secondly, because she cared too much about everyone and specially Cobra. How could she stay down and not be part of this.

Cobra punched his fist on the coffee table. Kasumi was the only person that could calm him down. And the next minute raise his anger to another level. Like today, there she was ensuring him about Tettsu. Calming his worries, easily like that. And the next minute, she was just acting like Kasumi.


The chalky paint fell in fragments leaving the splintered door a bare tarp. It whined on its amber hinges as the palm pressed gingerly against its moist frame. Ivy gnarled its way through windows. Windows, which surrounded the old fighting arena. In the center an old ring made from metal fence and above screens that were not working any longer. The undefinable source of darkness draped over the walls like a tapestry over the rotting oak floors. In the middle stood Cobra on his own. There was a seriousness about him that unnerved and draw all the attentions. Who's attentions?

Daruma Ikka's Leader, the first one who showed up. He glared at Cobra for few long seconds as he walked into the ring with him. Daruma Ikka members and Sannoh Rengokai members one by one filled the arena. Hyuga sat down on an old leather armchair that was placed behind him. Next the leader of Oya High showed up cracking a smile at Cobra. s also slowly appeared inside the arena. Rocky and white Rascles showed up too. And last but not least the Rude Boys. Yet, Smokey was not with them. His illness had turned serious lately. Kasumi stood at the corner of the ring gazing in awe all the members and leader from SWORD being there.

Rocky crossed his legs as he was the first who talked. "Where's Smoky?" he asked as he noted the Rude Boys' leader was not with them.

"We're here on his behalf." Takeshi answered serious.

Hyuga cut them off with his ironic act "Did that poor guy finally die?"

"Stop it!" Cobra cut him off. He knew exactly how easy Hyuga's ironic talk could have them fight for the wrong reasons. There were more serious things to talk about.

The Oya High Leader, who was already sitting down questioned "Well? What did you want to talk about, Cobra-chan?"

Cobra nodded and started explaining "After the fight at the containers, I've learned that our enemies are Kuryu and Chanson."

"What, you want to fight Kuryu?" Hyuga cut him off.

"No." Cobra went on saying "Kuryu will soon be destroyed. I've gathered you guys here to talk about the aftermath. Even if Kuryu is gone, Chanson and the overseas mafia will target this city. For that, I have a proposal. I want to make a pact with SWORD."

Cobra made his big declaration of uniting SWORD, the grand speech draw everyone's attention. Now the silence lay on their skin like a poison. What had happened with the Amamiya brothers, the USB and that Kuryu was destroyed. Those news were finally confirmed. Yet, it was not easy to agree with that pact. And every gang had their own reasons. Reasons that would unfold as time passed. But not right now.

"A pact with SWORD?" Takeshi repeated baffled. He did not really expect that would be the reason that they were called there. True be told, having sword fighting together did not sound as a bad idea. Yet, he had to confirm with the leader.

Murayama let his head drop as he smiled. He was waiting for something like that. He waved at Kasumi, who remained in her spot. She had pumped into Murayama lately a lot as he and Oshiage were meeting more frequently. Even times like these, falling in love could not be avoided. She gave him a light nod back.

"Wait a minute." Hyuga voiced up "What do you mean Kuryu will be destroyed?"

"You know about what happened with Amamiya in Little Asia right?" replied Cobra, as everyone of the member of SWORD started talking.

"Yeah, I do." responded Hyuga.

"Are you guys being serious?" Sakyo asked them as he was sitting in the middle of Daruma Ikka.

"Yes, we should work together from now on." Noboru ensured them. It would make more sense if they would be fighting together than each gang on their own.

"Don't take this lightly." added Kato from the Daruma Ikka.

"This isn't the time to be fighting." Tettsu said serious as he gazed at him "You guys understand, right?"

"Huh? Speaking of which, who are you?" Kato quizzed confused. He acted like he was seeing Tettsu for the first time.

"Excuse me? We've been fighting together." Tettsu added trying to make him recall who he was.

Dan laughed lightly and said "I told you. No one would be able to recognize you after you got a haircut." Kasumi tried to hide her smile as she placed her palm against her face. She did say the same to Tettsu few hours ago. With the haircut he looked like a different person. She was sure Nikka had something to do with that. Lately, Nikka and Tettsu were closer than before.

"I mean, women don't like guys with dreads." Tettsu mumbled. Nikka had clearly told him. That he would look more cool with his hair cut and with out the dreads.

"There's nothing left of you, now that you got rid of the sea anemone." he mocked Tettsu.

"Certainly, it's just as the Hoodlum Squad explained." Kizzy said next from the White Rascals. The pact sounded like a great deal. Yet, deeply he knew Rocky would not accept for his own serious reasons.

"Aree.. Did you lose a few members?" Kato asked as he had just found out that the White Rascals seemed less in number.

"You're right, four visual members of their group aren't here." another person said.

"Rocky kicked them out." Koo filled them in. Since everyone seemed to be curious about them.

"They said they're going to start a band even though they can't play instruments." Kizzy added serious.

"You didn't need to kick them out just because they're forming a band, right?" Tettsu asked a bit astonished.

"Yeah." Dan agreed. Only for wanting to start a band it would not make sense to kick out their members.

"Is the land sharking still going on in your area too?" Koo wanted to know. Turning the talk to something more severe. After all each region dealt with that kind of issues.

"Kuryu took over some of the stores in our neighborhood." Kaito defined.

"Tettsu's bathhouse also got moved to the Rasen area, right?" Dan pointed out that it was slowly effecting even their friends homes.

Tettsu nodded and confirmed "Ah, well.. yes."

Rocky hit his stick on the ground and caused the room to fall into silence. "I understand what you're trying to say. But it has nothing to do with us. We just have to protect women. I don't need help from you guys." Rocky clarified and turned around to leave. Cobra cast a confusing glance at him and tilted his head. As he noticed something strange with Rocky's response.

"I thought it was a good talk." the Oya High's Leader said to Rocky.

"You want to make a pact for us to believe that USB story, right?" Hyuga spoke next as Cobra turned and faced him "It's impossible for us to believe it simply by talking about it."

"We'll confirm it with Smoky but it's more important for us to live another day than worry about this pact." Takeshi informed them. And he was right. They were in danger and things only became worse. The pact was the last of their worries at the moment. "Let's go."

"Well, we weren't friends to begin with." Hyuga said lastly as he also stood up and walked away. He paused only in front of Kasumi, who was glaring at him. He did not tell her anything. He could guess why she was so irritated. He simply winked at her and went on.

"Cobra-chan!" called Murayama "As Hyuga said, we can't just make a pact so easily. But still I'll give you one vote." The Oya High leader was always supporting Cobra. Murayama was trust worthy and loyal, and was one of the few leaders that until now wanted SWORD united. He never said anything like that. But his actions revealed how special he was. And he backed up Cobra most decisions.

Kasumi gave Murayama a light bow, thanking him for his support. The leader of Oya High had indeed grown to be a very respectful man. She had noticed that. Next she walked next to Cobra and tapped his shoulder. She was sure Cobra would not let the matter drop. After all the Cobra she knew would never give up. Yet, for now it was time to return.

The pact was not successful.

((Next:: Act Twenty))


More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!