Friends aren't only the people beside you

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

Before Kasumi could withdraw her mind from that kiss, she could still feel his arms around her, even if Cobra was long gone from his room. She felt again the rush of helplessness, the sinking yielding, the surging tide of warmth that left her limp. 'What had just happened. His lips touched my lips...' a thought crossed her mind. She skipped from the bed and grabbed her phone. The google search was open and she typed 'What does it mean if lips touch lips'. The search button was pressed and the first result said 'a intentional gesture defining as a kiss'.

"Wow!" she yelled loudly like a baby that first tasted ice cream and dropped her phone.

She stood there lost in the moment. 'It was a kiss then. Of course it was a kiss.' she thought and softly picked up her phone. "Wait! What? A kiss?" she cried out again and pressed her palm on to shut herself up. "No! No!" she mumbled and wore her pink running shoes and rushed out of the room. She needed to worry about more serious things now. Kisses? Why was her mind filled with pink clouds and kisses. Even in high school she did not reacte like that. She decided to go and see Naomi. There she could get her mind straight again.

Inside the Itokan Diner Naomi and Yamato were talking. With all the chaos that was happening these days, they both would need some wise advice that Tatsuya could offer. His words were always on point and made sense. They missed the old leader of the Mugen and the caring brother.

"Rocky was beaten pretty badly." Yamato announced as he was sitting at the bar chair next to the counter facing away from Naomi. "I wonder who did it?"

Naomi with a concern look on her face wondered "I wonder if he's okay?"

"Eh?" Yamato exhaled almost glaring at her "Are you serious? You're worrying about Rocky?"

"That's not it, Baka (idiot)! I am worried about Tettsu." she cut him off and explained. Yet, she had to admit the silly and jealous Yamato looked really cute.

"A so!" Yamato said and smiled relived from the previous jealous moment.

"If aniki (brother) was here, I wonder what he'd say." Naomi quizzed as she sat down in a lower seat.

Yamato thought for a second and responded "He would probably talk about either destroying Kuryu or saving your friends."

"After all, I can't forgive Kuryu." Naomi serious disclosed "That'sbecause I want to protect the restaurant that my aniki (brother) left behind."

"Hm! We have many memories with Tatsuya-san here." Yamato said as he stood up gazing around the place and pausing next to her. Then he sat down near her adding "A place that we can always return to..."

"But I do understand Tetsu's feelings. He wants to do everything he can to help. I don't know what to do anymore." she admitted and cast a glance with a bitter smile at Yamato. Who rested his hand on her shoulder and gave her then a soft hug. After all Naomi and him were always close. More than friends. A couple that did not agree.

A few minutes after their moment was lost as Kasumi stormed into the store. She by-passed them not even noticing that they were hugging. She sat at the seat next to the counter and leaned against it. She seemed spaced out. Drawn in her own world. Naomi broke the hug and walked over to her. She waved her hand in front of Kasumi but she did not get any response. Naomi gazed at Yamato and lifted her shoulders. Then she poked her, but again there was no answer.

Yamato tilted his head and stood up walking over there. He also waved at her but nothing. Kasumi was still seeing pink clouds. "What happened?" he asked. "You think its serious?"

Naomi shook her head puzzled "I don't know. She was suppose to be studying."

"Maybe she overdid it. And burned her brain." Yamato said as he was still waving at her.

"I am not sure a book would ever bring her in such state." Naomi said and grabbed Kasumi from her arm and lightly rocked her.

It was enough to get her attention finally back to Naomi "Heh? A! Naomi its you?" Kasumi mumbled with a dazzled view.

"Are you alright? What happened?" Naomi asked her as she freed her arm and walked inside the counter.

It took a moment for Kasumi to answer. "Heh! Eh...pink clouds..." she mumbled.

"What?" was the reaction of both not understanding what was going on.

"I mean. Nothing. Cobra ..." she murmured and blushed remembering his lips against her "He.. went to see Rocky."

Yamato nodded "He won't let him be, until he agrees with the pact."

"I know!" Kasumi only commented spacing out once again.

"And why is that bothering you?" Yamato questioned her. As he turned and faced her. Yet, Kasumi was not looking back.

"Bothering... Its not bothering me... He did.. and I was not ready for it" she mumbled once more touching her lips.

Naomi tilted her head and touched her forehead. "Kasumi you are burning. Maybe her fever?" she spoke.

"No, I am not sick. It's just too hot today!" she said and waved her hand to make some air against her red face.

"Hot? Its quit cold! You better go get some rest!" Yamato said as he looked at Naomi not getting what was going on.

"Rest... Wait! No! No! I cannot go back in the room! Too warm!" she yelled and faced away from them. They both gazed at her thrown completely out.


Meanwhile, Cobra had arrived in Club Heaven. After the last attack and Rockies injuries the place was not working any longer. It was clear Rocky would fight with Doubt and Ranmaru. Kizzy was the first one who welcomed Cobra.

"Cobra-chan! Wait here, I am going to inform Rocky!" he said and walked up the stairs to get Rocky. Yet, he paused and looked at the leader of Hoodlum Squad. He looked puzzled, pale and a bit out of place. He made sough and went to get Rocky.

Cobra waited for a second, but his legs were not obeying. They did not support him. And he sat down at the round seat next to the pillar. He had fought so many fights and battles and he felt tired and exhausted. But today's weariness could not be described. Now! He should be burdened with Rocky and how to help him. Weighted down with SWORD, with what was happening at Sannoh region. Yet, there he was not being able to take a step. Because he kissed a girl. He smiled and tried to hide his smile under his hand. He did not kiss any girl. He kissed Kasumi, and he liked it. But only admitting it, made him tremble.

"Rocky, Cobra's here again." Kizzy briefed in his leader. Rocky sighed and stood up walking down to meet with him. "Yet, he looked a bit weary." Kizzy said to himself.

"Are you going to close the club?" Cobra asked as he noted Rocky stepping down. His mind thankfully worked totally fine. Even if his legs were still not working.

"Yeah. Until the situation with DOUBT is over. It's dangerous for the women." Rocky filled him in as he stood at the middle of the club wearing his white coat.

"Was the one who attacked you Ranmaru? Can you reconsider the pact? If you do so, we can help you face DOUBT." Cobra explained him as he pushed all his strength to stand up and walk next to Rocky. What a silly thing? How could a kiss bring him down like that.

"I can't. People rely on others. To stand by yourself, you have to stand on your own feet." Rocky made it clear and faced away from him.

Cobra did not need any more explanations. He was wise to see Rocky's point of view. "I understand. I'll leave you with your own matters." he said clearly.

Rocky turned his head and gazed at him above his shoulder. "Warui na (Sorry)" he added.

"Just call me anytime when you become unable to stand." Cobra stated sincere and walked out.


The white rascals were going to face Doubt at the abandoned subway station. There was the place were they last had their fight, before Ranmaru went to prison. Itokan Diner was slowly getting crowded. Cobra was also back, he was sitting down facing the rest. the situation was getting serious. Kasumi remained sitting at the counter next to Tettsu facing away from Cobra and the rest. Honestly, she could not look at him with out blushing or falling down.

"What happened to the bathhouse?" Chiharu asked as he interrupted the silence everyone was dwelling in.

"I'm not sure yet." Tettsu answered sitting next to him at the counter. "But probably.."

"It's not just Tettsu's place. Many other places will be destroyed." Dan said as he was sitting at the opposite direction of Cobra.

Cobra stated with his deadly tone "We need to protect this city somehow." At that moment the leader of Sannoh Rengokai was only worried about that. The situation was serious. And he faced it as such.

"Ts.. Somehow.." Dan repeated with irony.

"What is the Hoodlum Squad fighting for?" Chiharu asked starting a new conflict. Kasumi turned around as she felt the things were getting more serious.

"Ask Noboru." said Dan with same ironic look on his face. And Kasumi was ready to step down and smack his head of his foolishness.

"Noboru-san?" quizzed Chiharu.

"The Hoodlum Squad is a place where Noboru can return to, right?" Dan stated loudly "It has nothing to do with us, so I'm not sure." he added glaring at Cobra.

Few seconds later Cobra and Dan were facing each other ready to start a fight. Noboru grabbed Cobra's shoulder and Chiharu grabbed Dan's. Kasumi was irritated of their behavior. They should be worrying about the fight and how to help the white rascals. For her it was given, that they should run to their rescue. She agreed with Cobra on that. Dan was not wrong in one point. Yet, in this fight SWORD should be united.

The same was the thought of Murayama. The Oya High Leader promised to have Daruma join the pact. That's why he showed up around Daruma region and met with Hyuga. Since his mind was not yet clear if he should follow SWORD or not. A little push would be helpful.

"Will Daruma-san fall?" Murayama mumbled as he walked closer to Hyuga and serious glared at him. "Hyuga-chan?" he called him out while warming up "If I win, can you reconsider the pact?"

Hyuga stood up and stepped down staring at him "And what if you lose?" he asked him with a severe tone.

"That, I'll think about when the time comes." Murayama said and attacked. If he won or not, we will find out at the fight between White Rascals and Doubt. If Daruma show up then it was a win-win for Murayama. If not, then it was a win-win for Hyuga.

Back at the Itokan Diner, Cobra and Dan still glaring at each other. Suddenly, the door opened and Oshiage with few Ichigo Milk members stepped in announcing "Hey, it's starting!" Everyone backed off and went back to their seats. Cobra stood next to Noboru baffled at the situation.

"You guys aren't going?" Oshiage asked them.

"Be quiet."

"It doesn't look like it's only DOUBT. Shiba, Nonoriki, give us the update on DOUBT." she said and turned her phone on showing them what was going on in the station.

"Shiba, Nonoriki, here..." the girls said and lifted their phone showing them what was going on and with who the white Rascals had to fight.

"Those guys are from that time.." Yamato noted as he watched a few guys he and Noboru had fought few days ago. Kasumi jumped also from her seat and stood next to Cobra to see. Times like those, her curiosity was only getting worse.

"It seems like DOUBT paid them." Oshiage said.

"Thanks for looking into it." Noboru said them. "I guess it wasn't just DOUBT going against White Rascals." he added next.

"Mm! Seemed more serious." Kasumi mumbled still gazing at the phone.

"Cobra." Yamato called him out ready to ask him what they should do.

Yet, Dan's attitude had only gotten worse. He did not wish to face another problem that had nothing to do with them or at least so he thought. "I'm not fighting in this battle." he voiced up as he stood up.

Cobra cast a deadly glare against him. Noboru and Kasumi turned and looked at him too, as they could foresee what was happening. And Yamato replied "What are you talking about?" not getting what Dan was thinking.

"You want me to just leave Tettsu's situation and go help someone who refused to make a pact?" Dan said as he stood there ready to leave.

"Rocky declined the pact because SWORD is involved in this battle." Cobra tried to inform them. Cobra could see the bigger picture there. Yet, not everyone from Sannoh could.

"Tetsu. Did you struggle enough to protect your city? Have you done everything you could do? Trust me." the leader of the Sannoh Rengokai uttered clearly. And although he had the trust of most of the Sannoh Rengokai, today it seemed something was breaking up.

"Seriously. I'm not going with you guys." Dan concluded and walked out. The fear of losing their houses and business had him back off. The Ijuin brothers, a few more and even Chiharu followed Dan.

"I am sorry!" said Tettsu last and followed him. Cobra gathered his fist and hit it again the table walking towards the counter. As the rest were speechless.

"What the hell!" said Yamato.

"Cobra?" asked Noboru.

"Your friends aren't only the people beside you." noted Cobra as he sat down.

Kasumi walked over almost grabbing his arm. "Let's go!" she said with serious but a soft tone.

Nothing else was said. The remaining Hoodlum Squad walked out of the shop and climbed on their bikes. Today they would answer for White Rascals. They would run for their aid.

((Next:: Act Twenty-Two))


More than anything, thank you for taking the time to read this!