Resurrection of Hoodlum Squad

High & Low ~ The story of S.W.O.R.D.~

Author's Note:

✘ A cheerful chapter, before things go downhill again!

Disclaimers: I don't own any of the characters, places, names, etc (only the OCs -e.g. Kasumi ). It all belongs to Sigeaki Kubo & LDH project


~ Act Twelve: Resurrection of Hoodlum Squad ~


Money make the world go round.

The nameless city, seemed to be the poorest place in the SWORD region. Although it had a secret hidden. Only the Rude Boys and few other knew about it. Every night, when they went working, there was a specific place they ended up. Below the nameless city they were. The Nameless Street would become a fortune. Their underground area became their funding source. Excavation work for valuable goods was being done. Their goal was to break through by selling these goods and reconstruct the Nameless Street.

"Well, I saw Shion lately. He is doing good!" P told them one night they were working at the excavation grounds.

"You saw him?" asked him Takeshi.

P nodded "He gave me some money for Smokey. But haven't seen Smokey yet to give him the money." he explained.

"Let's go see him someday." Takeshi said.

"Lala!" P yelled as he suddenly saw her appear.

"My brother had another attack." Lala informed them worried. "I keep telling him we should go to the hospital but he doesn't listen to me." she added.

"That's how he is. He probably doesn't want to go because he wants to handle it by himself. Smokey is someone who would sacrifice himself for his entire family." P and Takashi said. Though, Lala should already know that. It was Smokey, the one that took her in. When her parents left her.

Lala though didn't agreed "What do you mean family? No one can save my ill brother In the end, we who live on the Nameless Street have no strength." she said and left.


At Itokan Diner Tettsu was waiting for Dan. They wanted to work on a surprise, since Noboru would be out from hospital the next day. Nikka was keeping an eye on the shop, since Naomi with Yamato were visiting Noboru. Tettsu was sitting at the bar talking with Nikka.

"Nikka, I am being honest. I loved you pancakes. You saw everyone did." Tettsu said at her.

Nikka smiled happily, she was all the time around Itokan Diner these days. Chiharu was sure it was because of Tettsu. "I just started learning" she said blushing.

Tettsu nodded "I know that. Though you are doing great!" he cheered her.

Chiharu was sitting in the other side of the store with Kasumi. He lately was around Kasumi all the time. Like he had noticed something. He made sure no one was listen at them before he talk to the new boy next to him.

"Those two are totally in love. Don't you agree Ren?" Chiharu said at Kasumi as he was gazing at her.

Kasumi nodded at him, and with her annoying voice she answered "They do hang around lately a lot."

"Yeah, they do. Though you noticed that. You also noticed about Yamato and Naomi." Chiharu told her still gazing at her.

Kasumi nodded.

"Neh, Ren. You are good in spotting couples?" Chiharu mocked her. There was something oddly about that boy indeed. But the boy he was gazing at that time didn't look nothing close to Kasumi.

"Not really!" she said and rubbed her light ashed hair looking silly.

"Yet, how was it possible in a short time to to figure out about Yamato and Naomi?" Chiharu asked her next with out delaying his questions.

"Yup, yup. I have seen her around club Heaven." Kasumi said.

Chiharu was not the smartest of the Sannoh members, yet he had spotted that there was something off with the new boy that Rocky brought in. Kasumi couldn't go on like that. She had already fooled them once, fooling them again was so wrong. She gazed at Chiharu but couldn't say anything.

"Dan would believe that explanation you know. As much as i want i cannot play along." Chiharu said. "Who are you?" he asked.

Kasumi looked at Tettsu and Nikka they were still talking and paying not attention at her. She pulled her back up and gave that girly pinched to her voice. "Who do you think?" she whispered to Chiharu.

Chiharu Jaw dropped. He view at her again and again. "Kasumi?" he asked still not sure. The only thing that sounded familiar was her voice, because she changed it.

Kasumi nodded, and lowered her gazed "I am sorry. I didn't want to lie. Not then or now. I.." she tried to explain.

"They will hear you! I know. I know. Someone that would simply get in danger, to help others couldn't be a bad person." Chiharu said and smiled at her.

Kasumi dropped again her voice to normal. "What should I do. I am more confused than ever?" she asked Chiharu.

"Look I get it. I am sure the guys will to in time. Maybe wait, until they find out, or until the times are better." he suggested.

Kasumi nodded "I know. I cannot face Naomi. After i found out about her brother." Kasumi honestly said.

Though their talk was interrupted as Dan come in. He went over and gazed at them both as he waved at Tettsu. "Tettsu let's go!" he said.

"Nikka we will be back!" he told her.

"Chiharu will you come too!" Dan asked him as he was still waiting for Tettsu.

Chiharu stood up. "Yeah I will. I need to help if it's for Noboru." he made it clear.

Dan pointed at Kasumi "How about you Ren?" he asked her. Kasumi nodded she surely would like to help.

Though Chiharu cut them of. "No let him be. Why don't you go check on Cobra?" he told her.

Kasumi shrugged and gazed at him confused "I don't think he really wants to see me." Kasumi mumbled.

Dan agreed and suggested "I think he is over at Bar Odake. Ren take care of him. "

"Go! He isn't lately that well!" Chiharu told her and tapped her shoulder.

Finally Tetsu was ready. He, Dan and Chiharu left to go get things slowly ready for Noboru's welcome party.

Few minutes later Kasumi had made up her mind. She would go to check on Cobra. Her mind told her to avoid him as much as she could. But Kasumi after hearing from Chiharu that he isn't well, couldn't step behind.

"Nikka, I am going to Bar Odake." Kasumi informed her. Nikka nodded and waved at her goodbye.


Cobra went alone at Bar Odake these night. He needed some time alone. And the bar's owner could always give the best advises. Though he only had one drink, his mind was spacing out. Thinking of the Iemura Group. If he should bring back the Hoodlum Squad. Noboru and Miho, was also on his thoughts. And last, but not least Kasumi.

"Not found the answer yet?" the Odake Bar owner asked him "Sometimes things are in frond of us. We just have to relax, to see them."

Cobra gazed at her "It's not that. People, do things with out thinking." he voiced thinking of Kasumi.

Kasumi pushed the door suddenly and entered. She noticed Cobra sitting on the bar and went and sat next to him. Cobra gazed at her annoying. "What are you doing here?" he asked her.

The Bar owner smiled at Kasumi "Who are you?" she asked her.

"I am Sasaki Ren. I am a guest." Kasumi said, sounding like a fool.

Cobra gazed at her and shook his head "Rocky brought him here few days ago. He needed a place to stay." he informed her "He is annoying." he added.

Kasumi had no idea how to react. Her guilt grow each day more. "I can be annoying some times!" she agreed and cracked a smile. Looking more foolish. Since the day Rocky presented her like Ren, she was acting like a complete fool around Cobra. It was not only because she felt guilty. Lately, she was out of her usual self. She had not to worry how to place herself. How to act. She was freely herself.

"Nah Cobra don't be like that." the bar owner said and brought them tequila and two glasses. She poured a drink for both. "Here have a drink to calm down" she said at them.

Cobra didn't really wait, he took the glass and drunk it. Kasumi either, she had already finished the drink before the bar owner manage to finish her line. She could tell that both needed it. She poured them some more smiling at them.

Few drinks after, Kasumi felt a bit better. "I wouldn't come. I know you don't like me Hino-san. But the guys were worried." Kasumi said as she gazed at him.

He gazed at her, more relaxed and a bit drunk. "I told you not to call me that. My name is Cobra." he shouted at her and drunk one more glass of tequila.

"I know your name. Its Janpei.. Hino Janpei!" Kasumi yelled and hiccuped. Kasumi smiled at him "Why don't you like being called Hino-san?" she asked.

"I am not answering that!" Cobra said in an odd voice. The bar owner was sure now that they were drunk. So she stopped paying attention at them.

"Inoki Bombaye or Inoki Ganbare?" he asked her suddenly. He poked her few times in the shoulder "Come, answer me?"

Kasumi turned and gazed at him puzzled "That is .. a very hard question. I have to think about it." she said and gazed at the ceiling.

"I'll give you three seconds." Cobra replied at her acting up all childish.

"Inoki Gan-bare?" Kasumi said gazing at him with a smile, not sure if she should say that to him. Her cheeks were all red and she was looking drunk and happy.

Cobra pinched her red cheeks really hard. "No, no you got it wrong. Let me ask you again?" he said as he was leaning all over Kasumi.

"Ouch!" she yelled as Cobra pinched her cheeks. "Don't pinch me. Or i will not play" she complained.

Cobra agreed "I will not pinch you again. But tell me which is it?"

The bar owner couldn't listen at them anymore. Once it was only childish Cobra, now what did he found a match. "You guys go home!" she yelled at them.

"After Ren answers me. Inoki Bombaye or Inoki Ganbare?" Cobra asked again and waited for Kasumi to reply.

Kasumi scratched her head. "Emmm?" she was murmuring as she was thinking "I think I got it Inoki Ganbare!" she yelled as jumped from her seat and landed next to Cobra.

"No! All wrong!" Cobra said and slapped her lightly. "If you don't get it right i will have to punish you!" he yelled at her.

Kasumi sniffed and looked at him "You are mean." she said with a crying voice. Then she started crying for real.

The Bar Owner tilted her head, confused. They were worse than she thought. "Gosh you guys. No more drinks for you." she took the bottle away.

Cobra gazed at Kasumi and whipped her tears away with his palm "Nah..Don't cry... I will share my Inoki love with you!" he told her with a smile.

Kasumi gazed at him up and nodded "Okies you should share it with me then. Don't be mean!" she mumbled at him.

Cobra smiled and hugged her. And Kasumi hugged him back. The Odake owner had nothing to say. With drunk people what could she say.

"You guys go home. Can you reach home. Or should i call someone?" she asked them both.

Kasumi lifted her hand "I can take us. I have his Inoki love now. Trust me Hino-chan!" she said to him with a drunk voice.

Cobra nodded "I trust you Ren! Let's go!" he said and stood up. They hugged each other and waved at the bar owner.

"Guys be careful!" she suggested "Don't lose that Inoki love" she mocked them. All these years around the Sannoh region, she had spotted Cobra drunk. Yet, this was the first time he had found a match. She agreed with herself to forget what she had just witnessed. It was just unbelievable.

Kasumi leaned closer against Cobra "I think she is making fun of us!" she said to Cobra.

"Who is? I will beat them all up! Who is bothering my Inoki lover." he said.

"No! No! more beating lets go home. I will take you!" Kasumi told him while the both were walking at the Sannoh street.

Cobra leaned against her, it felt warm and familiar "Ren you are really short!"

Kasumi nodded at him "I know. I have to live like these. Everyone is making fun of me Hino-chan."

Cobra looked annoyed "They making fun of my Inoki lover. I will show them!" he yelled as they kept walking.

"I know you will. Because I am Hino-chan's Inoki lover. Yatta!" Kasumi yelled and jumped around happily.

Cobra though grabbed her and placed his arm around her "Shush! Ren they will hear us!" he said as they were already standing at Cobra's room.

Kasumi pulled the key out and opened the door. "We are home!" she said and stepped inside. "Hino-chan aren't you coming in?" she asked.

Though Cobra pause at the door. Getting inside the room since Kasumi left was not easy for him. Though he stepped inside and closed the door behind him. "Only because its you Ren." he said and collapsed against the bed.

Kasumi gazed at him smiling, she didn't wait and jumped landing on him. They both fall asleep a second later.

Yamato and Naomi went at the Odake bar looking for them. The owner made it clear they were happy and drunk, and were going home.

"We better check on them!" Naomi said and Yamato agreed. They run over at the H-Gas station. Yamato went in and came out. His eyes wide opened. He closed the door "Naomi let's go! They are fine." he said.

"Then why the odd face?" she asked and went in to see on her own. She opened the door and found Kasumi on top of Cobra. Cobra hands against her back and . She blinked and closed the door.

"Let's say we did not see that!" Naomi said and gazed at Yamato.

True be told, Cobra did not date frequently. He was never to hyper about girls. Yet, both knew he was straight and liked women. Today a question mark rose as they watched them both sleeping. They decided to ignore the scene.


The next day Cobra woke up first. He felt something against his chest. It wasn't heavy, though it bothered him. He opened his eyes gazing at Light ashes hair all over him. He noticed his hands, they were touching someone's . Cobra pulled himself up and crashed Kasumi against the bed. "Why is he here? No why am i here?" he whispered to himself. He sat up in bed. He gave a gaze back at Kasumi.

Then he remembered slowly everything. Could it be any worse. He walked at the back at the room where the shower was. Took his clothes off and turned the water on, and showered. Though there was a small detail that was getting Cobra's attention. The way the room smelled. He was sure, it smelled like Kasumi. "I am getting all crazy again!" he whispered turning the water on cold to finish his shower.

Kasumi had also woken up. She sat at the bed checking if her clothes were on place. She was more scared to face Cobra, than remembering what had happened last night. 'Maybe i should go..' she thought as Cobra came out. He was only wearing a towel around his waste. He looked for some clean clothes to change.

Kasumi had frozen. "What is that?" he whispered to herself. That's why she didn't want to pose as a boy.

Cobra gazed at her "You are up!" he said. He pulled the towel off and sat next to her. "Listen about last night." he wanted to tell Kasumi not to take it the wrong way.

But Kasumi had spaced out. boy next to her. And not any boy. It was Cobra. 'That is bad! It gets worse!' she thought, not answering him. Her mind wheeled around one line ' Cobra next to her!' She turned her gaze elsewhere, before she would be listed as a ert.

Thankfully, Cobra wore his boxer and was getting ready to wear the rest of his clothes. "Did you hear me. You don't have to look so worried. I turn oddly when i am drunk." he explained. Not that he liked explaining himself to Ren. After all he didn't like him.

"Eh?" Kasumi asked lost "I know. I mean I don't remember i was drunk too." she murmured. Her mind was still cheering like a high-school girl who saw her crush . She hit her head trying to forget the image of ' Cobra'.

Cobra though grabbed her jaw and turned her to look at him "Don't think any odd stuff. I was drunk. And stop calling me Hino-san." he said at her loudly and clear.

Kasumi shook her head, acting still silly and odd. "I'll not Hino-chan... I mean Hino-san...ehh" she lost her words. Her face was burning. 'What is wrong with me?'

Cobra gazed at the short new guy annoying "You are big trouble" he said and walked outside.

She was still breathless. The feeling of sleeping against Cobra chest. And then seeing Cobra , made the poor girl fall out of her leak. She needed to have a cold shower soon.

Cobra sat outside at the bench. His heart couldn't stop beating loudly. "What's with that kid?" he said. "And the smell.." he went on talking to himself. Thankfully, he was self-centered and would never end question his uality.

"How much did you drink last night?" Yamato mocked him as he suddenly appeared next to him. He sat next to Cobra. "Talking to yourself, what did you do to Ren?" he quizzed.

"You don't want to know!" Cobra said as he was almost ready to hide himself.

"Naomi and the others are bringing Noboru over. Lets go!" Yamato told him as he stood up. "Inform Ren too." he said and tapped Cobra and left.

Cobra sighed and returned inside the room. He didn't gaze at Kasumi at all "Noboru will be soon here. We will be in Itokan Diner. Come over!" he said and walked away.

An hour later everyone was in Itokan Diner. Noboru was back. He was still not walking well. But he was alive and back. They welcome him back. Cheers and yells. Everyone was happy that he was alive.

The guys have prepared two surprise boxes one for Noboru and one for Cobra. Everyone gathered around Noboru and Cobra waiting to open them.

Noboru smiled and opened his. A clothe fall from the box saying "Welcome back Noboru!"

Then it was Cobra's turn. Everyone stopped yelling as the box opened and a clothe appeared saying "Resurrect Hoodlum Squad"

Cobra remain silent gazing at the writing. Then he looked at them serious.

"Cobra we created Hoodlum Squad... for Noboru. Noboru is back. So these is the best time." Yamato said.

Tettsu complained at Dan "It was a bad decision to write that."

Kasumi yelled at him "Inoki Ganbare... you should do it!" making everyone and Cobra gazing at him.

Chiharu poked her "You will be in trouble later" teasing her.

After a long thought Cobra gazed at them "We cannot escape halfway. We can't leave things as they are. We have to change. One day, certainly, I have to pass down the Hoodlum Squad that we protected to the next generation. I want to protect this town. The Hoodlum Squad has been resurrected." he voiced clearly.

Everyone, gazed at him serious. Noboru walked over and grabbed Cobra from his shoulders. Then he pushed him against the others. Cobra smiled and pushed everyone back. Cheers and smiles filled the room. The boys started drinking and talking, as the girls were listening at Yamato's mom.

It was one of the few times that everyone, could smile.

Kasumi went and sat with the boys too, after she brought more drink on the table. Cobra gazed at her, as she once again ended up to seat next to him.

"You said you didn't remember anything from last night?" he whispered against her ear.

"I choose to remember though Inoki Ganbare-san" she answered at him loudly. All turned and gazed at her.

Cobra tried to attack her though Noboru hit his head "Let the boy be, Inoki-san!" he mocked him.

"See now what you started!" Cobra told her and gazed at her deadly.

"I know i am dead." Kasumi said.

"I told you Baka, not to tell him that?" Chiharu told her.

They day went on like that. It was one of the last time, everyone would gather together. Smiling and relaxing times were about to end.

((Next:: Act Thirteen))


Side Note: