Busan: looking back

Perfect Stranger

Lee Shin sat in the studio. She arrived an hour ago. She'd been listening to the tracks all night but no idea's coming to her head. That's why she went down to the agency building to talk to Jong Hyun. He was out  of town for some variety program. She sat there. Staring at the wall and the equipments. She got up. "I hope he wouldn't mind." she thought. She drove to his house. She was a bit nervous when she stepped out of the elevator. It's considered breaking in. Her hands were shaking when she keyed in the pass word. It beeped. "he hasn't changed it." she murmured and got herself in.

She looked around the house. Nothing changed. She noted that few decorations were added. There were new paintings. She cautiously opened the guest room. It's still the same. Her eyes squinted. There's a frame at the bedside table.

"What in hell is this..." she set it down. She probably forgot it last time but she knew well she never had a frame when she move in.

She got out and moved to the veranda. She released a deep breath at the sight of the city. "beautiful sight. wait..." something popped into her head. She got out of the house as fast as he could and drove back  home. She went down to the basement and grabbed all what she needed.

"Mom," she called out.

"Honey, are you going somewhere?" her mom eyed the overnight bag and the sketch bag.

"I'm doing some project. I'll be out of town for a day or two."

"Honey, just give us a call."

"Please let oppa know. You know my brother." she smiled and kissed her mom goodbye.

"You take care honey,"

Lee Shin scooted out and ran towards the train station. She managed to catch the train. "Yong Hwa oppa," she called Yong Hwa. "Do you have schedule tomorrow?"

"Hmmm.. just at the studio. What's up?"

"I'm heading to Busan right now. I am hoping you could join me for Jong Hyun's album cover."

"Me? why not Jong Hyun?" Yong Hwa asked.

"It will be complicated."

"Give me a minute. I'll talk to the CEO. Where are you right now?"

"Train station. I'm about to board." Lee Shin answered. "I already talked to him."

"Can you wait? I'll have to check the schedule. We can go together."

"Ok. Give me a call. I'll hang around the station for a while." she hang up. Yong Hwa sent a message that he'll meet her at the station in 20 minutes.

Lee Shin just picked up a magazine when someone came behind her. "Shin-ah,"

She turned rapidly. Her eyes went big. "Jong.....  Lee.."

"Shall we?"

Lee Shin stayed silent till they were at the ticket booth. She was about to take her wallet out but Jong Hyun was too quick to pay for their ticket.

"Thanks." Lee Shin muttered.

"The train will be here in 5 minutes. Want something? Water? Juice? Chips to munch?" Jong Hyun asked.

"I'm good. It will just be 3 hours." Lee Shin answered.

"Yong Hwa hyung sent me. He said it might be better if ...."

Lee Shin raised her hand for him to just stop.

"Sorry," Jong Hyun apologized.

The two walked into the cabin. They were seated beside each other.

Lee Shin turned up her table and took out her notes. "I really can't think of any designs. I have this idea that's why I called Yong Hwa oppa to do the modeling."

"You really don't like to see me." Jong Hyun concluded.

Lee Shin didn't comment on that.

"Shin-ah, I really appreciate what you're doing. For now can we leave whatever happened before?"

"What do you think I am trying to do. If I really don't like it. You think I here with you? The offers was tempting." Lee Shin shot back.

"Ok." Jong Hyun leaned back. "So what's are we going to do in Busan?"

"Your album title is a Into the Deep I thought it that it would be nice to have your shot in Busan. I want to draw and paint at the same time. The photorealism will be incorporated. I have to present many ideas as I could to the CEO. It would be up to them and you of course to decide what to use. That's my job. That's why I am trying to make every possibilities. I know you're tired but your agency's pushing this."

"Oh... I understand. So what's the plan?"

"Beach. I hope no one will recognize you. I'm crossing my fingers." Lee Shin answered.

"Ahmmm, I know a spot in Song Do where it's less populated." Jong Hyun suggested.

"Oh.. That's great. We can go for that."

"I will be dropping to see my parents. It's a great opportunity to see them. Do.."

"No. I have to find myself a place to stay. It's a two day and I can't face your parents. I don't know what you told them but I have no face to show to them."

"I just told them we broke up. Mom had been pestering  and nagging me why but I can't tell any. How about you? How had you been? We never had the chance to talk."

"Been good. Busy. As you know I manage a coffee shop and I used it as my workplace. The book... oh... I got a book for you from Miss Smith book. I'll send it to you sometime."

 

It was early spring. The beach was deserted and only few people walking their dog or just simply taking a walk on the sea shore.

"This is my favorite beach. I love surfing here." It has been Jong Hyun's favorite part of Song Do. It has a history. He was in middle school when his group went out swimming. They saw group of girls hanging out in the beach but weren't swimming. They bet to get the girls attention but they all failed. He himself wanted one of the girls. She saw him at their school but didn't knew which year she is. She's chubby and jolly. The way she laughed. It looks like it can calm the angry waves. When the girls walked away from the beach, the girl was left gathering the papers blown by the wind. She saw how she scrambled and ran after her friends. He walked to the area they had been and picked 5 papers. drawings. Sketches. He folded and showed it to his friends. They bet again to find the girl who drew it. But school was over and they never saw the girls in the beach again. Until he left Song Do to pursue his career in music.

Lee Shin nodded. "The painting will probably take 2 hours. Can you manage it?"

"I'll do my best." Jong Hyun answered. He's trying not to disappoint Lee Shin.

"No. This is not going to work." She took out her digital camera. "What shirt are you wearing?"

Jong Hyun took of his jacket.

White shirt.

"Take off your shoes. I want you to half stretch your body facing the  waters." Lee Shin instructed. Jong Hyun was like an obedient kid. He did as what Lee Shin asked him to do.  Lee Shin was taking photos for the next 15 minutes. "Think of something memorable to you in this beach. Forget that I'm here."

They'd been in the beach for half an hour when Lee Shin suddenly realized that Jong Hyun was only on his shirt and barefooted. "Ya! get into your shoes and put your jacket on. You'll get sick!" she yelled.

"Oh.." Jong Hyun scrambled on his jacket and shoes. "I though you.."

"damn! You should at least tell me you're cold! Bloody!" Lee Shin was mad.

"Sorry. I thought you need more time."

"Even so. You prefer to die in colds?" Lee Shin raised her brows. "Let's go back to the car." she started to walk towards the car. She got into the driver's and started the car. Jong Hyun got into the passenger's side. "You're shivering." Lee Shin panicked.

"I'm ok. " Jong Hyun assured her but his voice gave him away.

"Dammit!" Lee Shin cursed and locked her seatbelt. With out any warning, she reached and locked in Jong Hyun seatbelt as well. "I'm taking you to your parents. Give me the address." she was trying to calm herself.

"No. I don't want mom to be worried." Jong Hyun's voice was brittle and croaky.

"And how about me?" Lee Shin nearly yelled.

"Shin-ah... Can you bring me to your hotel for now?" Jong Hyun's voice croaked and was so soft.

Lee Shin breathed deeply. Her brother booked her into an exclusive suite. Jong Hyun might wonder how come she's in an expensive suite but she has no choice. If Jong hyun will get sick, it's her responsibility and fault. Jong Hyun can't afford to get sick. They're rushing the release of his album.

"Stay here. I'll call you as soon as I finish checking in." Lee Shin got out of the car. She came back after few minutes and grabbed her stuffs. "Let's go. Keep your head down. I don't want to be in the news in the morning."

Jong Hyung grabbed his bag as well and followed Lee Shin silently.

Jong Hyun crashed on the couch as soon as they entered the suite.

"Ya... Lee Jong... Jong Hyun-ah," Lee Shin panicked. She walked towards Jong Hyun. "Jong Hyun.." She's near to tears. She felt his forehead. It was burning. "Oh God! Can you get yourself to the bed?"

"I'm okay. I'll just take a nap and we can go back." Jong Hyun said with his eyes still closed.

"Lee Jong Hyun."  Lee Shin's voice was stern.

Jong Hyun opened his eyes and met by Lee Shin's worried face. He never saw her that worried. She's near to crying. Actually she looks like she's crying. He slowly got up and swayed. Lee Shin was quick to hold his arms.

As soon as Jong Hyun was on the bed, Lee Shin went out to look for pharmacy. She  was running back to the suite. She was worried something might have happened to Jong Hyun.

"Jong Hyun-ah," she gently shook Jong Hyun's shoulder.

"Hmmm.." he responded.

"Take the medicine and sleep."

Jong Hyun opened his eyes. He took the medicine with out question.

"Sleep. I'll be here." Lee Shin sat by the bed.

"Thank you Shin-ah," Jong Hyun closed his eyes and drifted.

"I'm sorry," Lee Shin said remorsefully. She gently Jong Hyun's forehead. It's still burning. She raided the washroom and took the wet towel beside Jong Hyun. "Man! Why it has to be now?" she whined.

After applying the cold compress, she left the bedroom. She was pacing back and forth in the living room. She was in dilemma to call someone. She thought of her brother. Her brother will understand everything and she's sure he'll send help. But she doesn't want to trouble her brother. Yong Hwa? He's busy. His mom?

She decided to call her brother if Jong Hyun's fever won't go down at midnight. She walked back to the bedroom. She checked the compress. It's warm already. She called the front to find her restaurant that carries soft foods. Jong Hyun need s something to eat when he wakes up.

She watched the sleeping soul in the bed. He looks so peaceful. He doesn't look like he's sick. Lee Shin checked his forehead again. It haven't gone down a bit and she can feel that Jong Hyun was shivering. His lips alone was quivering. There's no more blanket in the room. She can't order extra blanket or the reception will wonder. The heater. She turned it to maximum. After few minutes she felt hot herself. She changed into pyjamas.

She checked Jong Hyun again. He's drenched. She badly wanted to cry.

She pulled the blanket and without hesitating she pulled Jong Hyun's shirt out. She ed his pants and pulled it off as well. Jong Hyun was still asleep and didn't feel anything going on. Lee Shin was distracted for a second when Jong Hyun was with only his boxer on. She covered him with blanket and went out of the bedroom.

"Yong Hwa..." her voice croaked.

"How's it going? Is Jong Hyun behaving?" Yong Hwa asked.

"Oppa, he... he's sick."

"What? I knew something's wrong with him. He looks moody earlier. How is he?" Yong Hwa started to get worried. "Where are you guys?"

"He's really sick. We're in a hotel. I gave him medicine earlier and he slept. I just check on him. He was drench. Oppa...." Lee Shin's voice was begging desperately for help.

"I'm calling his family. His mom.."

Lee Shin cut him. "I was about to bring him home but he doesn't want to worry his mom."

"Aish! That kid. Ok. I'll call noona. Send me the address."

"Thanks oppa." she hang up and called her brother.

"Have you settled in baby girl?"

"Oppa...."

Her brother knows her well. "What's wrong?"

"I'm with Lee Jong Hyun and he suddenly fell sick.. I mean.. I.."

"baby girl, Lee Jong Hyun... your fake ex fiancé?"

"Hmmmm.."

"What? How... okay..." her brother released a deep breath. "Okay baby girl, tell me the situation in detail."

Lee Shin was crying after detailing everything to her brother.

"Okay. I'm getting another room for you there. I already sent a message to your unnie. She said it will take a while. Don't leave the hotel."

"Oh... Yong Hwa oppa sent a message that Jong Hyun's sister is coming." Lee Shin wiped her tears.

"Okay. Okay. I'll get back to you in a while. Call me once his sister arrives."

Both hang up. Half an hour later, there was a knock on the door. Lee Shin ran to open it and there's his sister. "Unnie." she cried.

"How's he?"

"His fever's not coming down." Lee Shin answered and guided her to the bedroom. "Unnie, it's my fault. I..."

"It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself. Anyone can get  sick, you know." his sister comforted her.

"But.."

"Let's not worry about that, hmm." his sister checked his forehead. "It's bad. I got to ask my friend to come over."

 

Lee Shin's brother got her room next door. She moved to the next room and let her sister tend on her brother. A doctor came and Lee Shin exited the room right away. She doesn't want to be in rumor with the idol. After the doctor left. Jong Hyun's sister knocked at her room.

"Unnie, how's she?"

"Dr. Kim gave him a shot. He'll be better tomorrow. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Unnie, I am going back to Seoul tomorrow morning. Thank you for coming and I'm sorry." Lee shin bowed.

"You take care of yourself. I'll call you soon." The two hugged and Jong Hyun's sister left the room.

 

~~~~

 

Jong Hyun's sister informed Lee Shin that he was feeling better and that they checked out of the hotel.

Lee Shin breathed in relief.  She got into the car and drove to the school she once attended. She just walked around. Then she drove to one of their favorite hangout when she was in Busan. She can't remember the names of the girls she hung out before.

She remembered one name. Kim Chung Hoo. She remembers him because he's one of the nicest and smartest in the school. Plus he's good looking. She thinks she has a crush on him before. She searched the internet hoping to find him. Bingo! He's in SNS. She sent a message and he was nice to reply and told her that he's back in Busan. Lee Shin immediately gave her number and introduced herself hoping Kim will remember her. Kim told her that he's not busy at the moment and that they can meet up.

Lee Shin was so excited to meet someone from her middle school. Kim suggested a restaurant. He said a schoolmate from middle school own it.

"Mr. Kim Chung Hoo?" Lee Shin asked at the guy sitting in a table she was ushered to.

"Lee Shin?" the guy got up.

Lee Shin nodded. "Oh....You... It's nice seeing you again." she extended her hand for a hand shake.

"So...uhm... It's rare that people tries to connect with  from younger days." Kim said. "You moved right?"

"Oh... I left after 2 years and moved to Gwang Ju. Family." Lee Shin answered.

Kim nodded. "Oh... You remember Lee Jong Hyun? He's super idol now."

Lee Shin's eyes widened. "Huh?"

"Comeon. Lee Jong Hyun. CNBLUE. He was in my class."

"Oh.. CNBLUE. Of course I know them. I know Lee Jong Hyun and Jung Yong Hwa are from here but I didn't realized  Lee Jong Hyun went to same school." Lee Shin said trying to  be normal.

"He's releasing an album soon. His close friends were organizing a reunion party on his concert here. uhmmm... Are you here for a visit? You should come on his concert. It will be fun with all the guys from school."

"Hmmm...I was doing a project. I thought I could find old school mate." Lee Shin answered. 'Lee Jong Hyun went to the same school? How come I haven't seen him before?' she thought.

a/n: guess what's coming up next chapter... lol.. see you next chapter