meeting the parents

Perfect Stranger

Jong Hyun nodded. "oh.. my parents are here," the bell rang and he got up to open it. "Hi mom, dad,"

I stood up. Suddenly my knees wanted to give up. 'damn Lee Shin! keep still' Sometimes I hate Korean politeness. Studying abroad for five years made me adapt the culture. "Good afternoon. My name is Lee Shin," I bowed a perfect 90 degrees.

"mom, dad, this is Lee Shin. Lee Shin, my parents," Jong Hyun formally introduced us.

"Such a pretty girl," his dad commented and looked at Jong Hyun.

"uh... I'll make tea," I offered and walked to the kitchen. I opened the pantry. My eyes went wild. I turned to the living room. It is a good thing Jong Hyun was facing me and his parents back are at me. I gestured him to come. There's no tea in the pantry. Gosh! I knew I bought last time I did grocery. Ugh! That was 2 weeks ago. Of course, it is gone.

"What's wrong?" Jong Hyun whispered.

"We're out of tea. Why don't you check your kitchen supplies," I hissed softly.

 Jong Hyun opened the fridge and pulled out the box of juice. He poured to the two glasses and brought it to his parents with me following him. "We ran out of tea. Sorry."

"It's alright. I know you both are busy working. I doubt you guys even cook here," his dad said.

"Oh, we do. But not that often."

"Lee Shin, feel comfortable with us," his dad said. he probably noticed how I was fidgeting. Of course. Who will not. Meeting your boyfriend's parent? I mean forced boyfriend. Even so. I am not sure if they will like me. Moreover, why am I even thinking about them liking me? I am going to get out of this marriage sooner or later. Why am I worried if they will like me?"

"So where did you guys met and how long had you been dating?" his mom asked smiling.

! Why didn't we think about that? "It's been a while. A year?" I looked at Jong Hyun. Ugh! We only met barely a month now. "We met overseas while they were on tour. I was tapped to join the crew since I speak Korean." Man! I have to remember this. I might be spouting another story next time. I looked at Jong Hyun and he was grinning. 'damn you should have at least answered it.' I yelled at him in my head.

"How old are you and what do you do?" His mom asked again.

God! I am not even going to be their daughter in law. This interrogation is making me mad. I smiled. "24. I just finished my studies and working on freelance. I am an illustrator." His mom brows met. "An artist. I draw for books,"

"Oh.. that's great. Any plans to find a stable job?" his mom was on the mood.

I am soo going to kill Jong Hyun tomorrow. He did not tell me his mom talks a lot. "uhm..." I looked at Jong Hyun for help. "I have projects pending but till then I prefer a freelance,"

"So this meeting with your parents. Did you two talk about it? I am assuming your parents' wants you two to get married especially that you decided to live together," His dad said.

I cannot take it anymore. I grabbed Jong Hyun's hand and squeezed it hoping he could get the message that I want this over.

"Dad, her mom just want to meet you. Marriage is way far." finally he spoke up. "You know I have a long way for my career,"

"hmm..." His dad just nodded. "Jong Hyun-ah, bring her to Busan sometime,"

"Busan?" I was surprised but withdraw my reaction. I did not even know he is from Busan. "Nice place. I love the beaches. Song Do specifically"

"Oh... You've been to Busan?" His mom became more interested.

"Oh. But that was when I was younger," I answered and checked my watch. I want this interrogation to end. "We should start moving."

"Oh... yeah. " Jong Hyun was the first to get up.

"Are we dressed properly?" His mom asked. His mother was dressed nicely.

Jong Hyun looked at me. I nodded.

 

We passed by the back door. I do not want Jong Hyun to be caught with a girl especially that he is with his parents. That will escalate things. We were seated in a private room. Mom came a little bit late. Introductions were made as soon as mom sat down. Jong Hyun's parents seem comfortable with mom.

"Handsome man you have here," Mom commented. It's his first time meeting Jong Hyun personally. I saw at the corner of my eye that Jong Hyun blushed. I snickered. He is capable of blushing huh.

"Thank you. Same with your daughter here. She's pretty and smart," His mom retorted. "This meeting, I hope it's not to discuss a wedding. My son has just started his career,"

Oh Bless his mother for that sensible words.

"Oh.. no.. no.. I just want to meet you and it's hard to have a dinner with my daughter," Mom answered.

"Mom, admit it. You really want to discuss a potential wedding." I looked at my mother intently. "But sorry mom, you're not getting it."

"Young lady," uh oh. There goes her warning tone. "If I want it. I could have you two married by now,"

"Mom, what can't you not understand? It is the 21st century. We marry whom we love and I told you about that before. Mommy, at least let us date. We can decide later if we like... I mean if we really want to get married," I almost slipped in there.

"Lee Shin," the warning tone rose higher.

I leaned back to my chair. There is no way I am winning this argument.

"So how's living together?" mom asked out of the blue.

My eyes went on Jong Hyun and our eyes met.

"We're both busy. He got two shows to film. Practice. We don't even see each other at home," I answered quickly. Jong Hyun's a slow dimwit I guess.

Our food arrived. The adults talked about everything and sometimes we in or give out opinion on things.

"Have a piece of this Lee Shin-ah. It's really good." Mrs. Lee put a piece of meat in my bowl.

I guess my mom saw the horror in my face but I managed to smile. "Oh, thank you,"

"Lee Shin-ah, that's.."

"Mom," I cut her. "Excuse me for a minute. I need to use the wash room. I excused myself and walked to the washroom. Mom followed me seconds later. I already threw up everything I ate.

"You should have refused it," Mom was worried.

"Mom, it's not a big deal. It's a small piece." I argued.

"You don't have the shot," She followed me to the washing place.

"Mom, don't be a worry freak. I'll be fine." I walked back to our table first. Mom following me. I noticed Jong Hyun's seat was empty.

"So how long will this living together and getting to know each other will last?" Mom asked.

I looked at my mom pleading to stop it but I guess she wanted to push further. "Until Jong Hyun and I decided that we're very much compatible to get married. I am thinking of moving out from his apartment. It is better that way. We can date when ever we have time. There is no point in living together anyways. We don't see each other that much. The moving in decision was a rash on."

"I hope it won't be that long," I heard sarcasm in my mom's tone. "And sweetheart, you're staying in his apartment. No argument,"

Ugh! I just want to die. "Mom," she was glaring at me. It is better to give up. "I'm coming home today. His parents are staying tonight,"

"They can stay in a hotel," mom interject.

"Gosh! Mommy, Jong Hyun rarely sees his parents let them bond," I almost screamed at my mother.

"Sorry for being insensitive," my mom apologized.

"You can stay in my room," Jong Hyun cut our arguments.

I turned to Jong Hyun immediately. Stay in his room? Is he nuts?"

"There you go sweetheart," Mom cooed.

I gave up.