Glass Cafe

Perfect Stranger

I just came from London for the launching of Julie smith's book. I don't want to stay in the house and reminisce everything that happened. I want something to divert my attention.

My brother opened up  that FNC contacted his office and asked if I can do some design for their artist. I told my brother to reject it. I am an illustrator not a graphic artist.

 I asked Jung Hoon oppa if I can hang out and work in his restaurant. He didn't like the idea at first but I was stubborn. He then suggested I man up the opening of the coffee shop they wanted to open. I looked up at the location. Gangnam. High end. My brothers really are targeting the rich people. I studied the books and the procedures. I end up suggesting that they find another location. Too expensive. It's better to be in a middle class area. Somewhere where everybody can go. I was able to convince the two financier.  I suggested downtown Seoul. It's the tourist destination. I technically designed the interior of the coffee shop. I integrated books on it. There were books everywhere. English. Japanese. Korean. Chinese. I even brought some middle eastern novels. Artist as I am, I set up a painting and drawing corner. There's an Easel set up and some colors whoever wanted to paint with a price. Pencils and sketchpads. I knew how young teens loved our Manhwa, orange marmalade. I hung up 3 drawings. Originals. It can't be find in the manhwa itself. Two photos of Jong Hoon oppa and the whole hockey team. I have yet to ask Kim Hee Chul if I can hang a drawing from his book. I would love put up Kwon Jiyong's photo but I might get in trouble.  I  did a fanart of Lee TaeMin. I haven't told him about it yet. But I know my brother will probably ask him to endorse it or so. The café's screaming of artists, athlete that I met.

When my brother and Jung Hoon oppa saw my creation, they both agreed it's my coffee shop. I told them we have to blend in with what's in and they trusted me. A week later, the opening was launched. Tae Min came  and cut the ribbon. The coffee shop was filled with his fans. Especially when they saw  his painting on the wall with his signature, they were all squealing. It made me scared for a while. I'm afraid the cafe will always be filled with his fans. I can't deal with it.

Indeed. The first week. It was filled with Tae Min's fans. The crew complained but what can we do. They are paying. Some teens noticed the paintings and I saw how social media plays a vital role in a business and in someone's life. Chae Won called me and asked about the circulating painting in a coffee shop.

"Sorry, I forgot to mention. It's the boys' coffee shop. They let me do the interior for past time."

"it's one of the unreleased part of the manhwa. Ya! Shin Mei Lee! Are you out of your mind?"

"What's wrong with that? You should come and visit. I do cashier once in a while," I bragged.

"You prepare your hair when I come over," she threatened. I don't understand what's she's yapping at. "I'll see you soon Miss," I hang up before I hear another of her yappings.

"Ma'am, we have a call early this morning. They were asking if they can use the shop for a venue of an interview. The proposal is in the email," Soo Jin,  the manager and senior barista informed me.

"Oh, really? we became that famous?" I smiled at her. "I'll take a look at it and I'll have you handle it. How's that?"

"Uh.. me" she pointed at herself.

"uhmm. Why you're not confident to do it?"

"UH.. Er.. it's not that. It's just.."

"You're the manager. When you manage, your like the owner, okay?" I winked at her.

She bowed.

I got back to her after few consultation with my brother. He said it's my call. " Soo Jin, it's your call. I asked the owner and they said it's our call. I am passing it to you."

"But ma'am," Soo Jin was hesitant.

"It's alright. Do what you think is the best. I'm counting on you,"

"It will boast our shop if we let them. Having Tae Min alone on the opening is a hit. I'll let you know about the details."

I waved my hand. "Don't worry about those. I trust you. Besides, I'll be going somewhere. You can do this. "

"I won't let you down," Soo Jin smiled.

It's past 10 in the morning and yet the close sign was still up. There were girls scattered around. Costumers? Maybe. There's no way Soo Jin closed the shop for nothing. I passed by the back door and found one of our barista peering at the dining area. "Hye Jin, what's going on?"

"Oh..." she was flustered and bowed. "Uhm... There's an interview going on."

I raised my brows. I didn't expect  that Soo Jin closed the deal with the magazine right away. "Oh... already? What time did they start?"

"Around 6 am. Miss Soo Jin asked me to come early to prepare and set up the shop. I think they're done."

"Make something for them. Tell them it's on the house. Give them you best," I pushed her out as I checked on our supplies. I don't normally do it but I have nothing to do today. Nothing much in the pantry, I checked myself in the mirror and decided to check out the guest. Soo Jin met me at the door right away.

"Miss Lee," she squealed softly. He's trying to control it.

"nailed it? How was it?"

"Oh my gosh! I'm glad you gave me this opportunity." She pulled me to the dining area where the interview  just took place. The crew were wrapping up.

"YongHwa oppa? Jung Shin?" I laughed and walked briskly towards them.

"Lee Shin noona?" Jung Shin was the first to  turn and saw me. He was about to throw hugs but then he realized there were people around. The might get it wrong.

"How are you?" I shook hands with Jung Shin and then to Yong Hwa. "I didn't know you guys were the guest,"

"Oh...noona, you own this place?" Jung Shin looked around. "It's pretty. Jong.."

I shot Jung Shin a deadly glare. I'm glad he got the message. "My brothers own it. I simply manage it."  I laughed. "Actually I just hang around here."

"Noona, Jong Hyun hyung was looking at that painting earlier." Jong Hyun and Minhyuk left ahead to attend to some commitment. The two were left to wrap up the interview. "He was saying, he hasn't seen it in the manwa. No wonder, you own this place."

"I repeat. I don't. One of my favorites and I have to left it out."

"Isn't that Lee Tae Min?" Jung Shin pointed at the fanart of Tae Min. I nodded. "Oh.... I hope we can have our portrait hang in here aswell,"

Yong Hwa hit the maknae's shoulder.

"Ah, hyung... I was just kidding."

"Miss Lee, thank you for allowing us to use your shop for this interview. I admit, the ambience, location and interior is captivating." one of the crew came up.

"Thank you. Any time. Just give us a heads up. My manager can handle everything," I bowed.

"I might as well feature this in our next magazine," another crew came up. "I like the set up. Books. painting. Music. coffee. Is that a painting area?"

"Oh... I set up for anyone who wants to paint. I was shocked when my manager called and told me we ran out of colors. We have a lot of talented young kids these days."

"Does the costumer who paints takes home the painting?"

"Costumers pay a fee to paint. They leave the painting here. Seeing how awesome the paintings are, I am planning to do an exhibit soon. But the paintings are mostly of idols. I am hoping to invite the artist..." I laughed. "I wish.... Am I getting interviewed here?"

"Two birds in one arrow," the lady who asked earlier answered. "I'm Kim Eun Hee. Writer Editor of the magazine "Class". We feature  everything under the sun. I was thinking to feature this cafe and well... I guess I made up my mind but I have to set an interview for that. Anyways, thank you very much."

"You're welcome. Miss Soo Jin prepared coffee and stuff. Please grab some as you go." I bowed again.

Yong Hwa and Jung Shin were still in the table. I walked towards them. "Hello, gentlemen. So... you guys don't have schedules?"

"I intentionally waited for you," Yong Hwa got up and pulled a chair for me. Gosh! Didn't I tell you, he is the most gentleman ever.

I pursed my lips and looked at him. I did not sit but rested my arms on the chair. "Hmmmmm....breakfast?"

"Oh.. Noona!" Jung shin became excited at the sound of food.

"I'll be back. Soo Jin will make your drinks. And no, Yong Hwa oppa, you're not drinking ice americano. I have something special coming up." I said and left.

"Miss Lee, you know CNBLUE?" Soo Jin came up to me right away as soon as I entered the kitchen.

"They're CNBLUE. Kpop idols. Why you don't know them," I .

"No.. I mean...You guys looked comfortable to each other. I saw Jung Shin nearly hugged you earlier."

"I met them long time ago. Hang out once or twice I think." I answered her as I started to make the crepes. "Make them my signature latte. Don't give Yong Hwa black coffee."

"Oh..." Soo Jin scooted and started brewing the coffee.

The crepes were done as Soo Jin was finishing the drinks. "Hye Jin," I called the barista. She was quiet since I came in. "Aren't you excited with the CNBLUE here?"

"Uhh.. uhmmm"

"You're not fan." I concluded.  I hired Hye Jin basing on her background. She's a college student and struggling to finish college. I asked Soo Jin to train her and give more time to cover her school expenses.

"I.. I am," she turned her back. I can hear that was crying.

"Hye Jin-ah, wipe your tears. Hmmm. Soo Jin's almost done with the drinks. Help me carry these plates to the table." She disappeared to the backdoor and came back with a smiling Hye Jin. "Don't drop those," I smiled. "Who's your favorite?"

"Min Hyuk,"

"Oh... You saw them earlier then," I handed her the tray.

She nodded.

"Special crepes for handsome boys." I set the plates infront of Yong Hwa and Jung Shin while Soo Jin set the coffee. Hye Jin was helping with their managers.

"Oh.... Noona! Oh my God!" Jung Shin exclaimed at the sight of the crepes. I thought Jong Hyun was the most glutton in the group. Now I know the whole group were glutton. He took out his phone and took a quick snap. "I can't eat this... this is pretty..."

"If you don't want to give it to me," Yong Hwa took his plate.

"Ya! hyung!" Jung Shin shouted.

I leaned back on my chair. "Oh... Hye Jin." I called Hye Jin. "She's a fan but a Min Hyuk bias. Hye Jin, you want to say something to them?"

Hye Jin went shy and kept her head bowed.

"You'll never know when will you meet them again." I encouraged her.

"Thank you for your songs," she said still heads bowed.

Yong Hwa got up and put his arms around Hye Jin. "Hye Jin-ah, thank you for supporting us." In a cue. Jung Shin took a snap of the two. "I'll post this in my instagram."

"Nooo," Hye Jin protested.

"I'll cover your face." Yong Hwa assured her.

"Thanks oppa. Finish your crepes before it gets cold." I motioned their plate.

"Hyung?" Jung shin answered his phone and then looked at me. "Oh.... we're still at the cafe. we're having.... Lee... Noona?" he looked at me again. "Okay."

"Lee Shin-ah, do you have a minute?" Yong Hwa sounds serious.

"Hmmh.. What's up?"

He gobbled all his crepes and sip from his coffee. I sensed he wanted privacy. "Wanna check our painting section. I'll do some sketches for you." I got up first.

"I have something to talk with Lee Shin," Yong Hwa got up and followed me to the painting corner.

"What's going on?" I asked  as I fixed the brushes. I don't have any intention to paint him.

"Jong Hyun's throwing tantrums regarding his album cover. I'm not sure if you heard that he wanted you to do his covers. CEO-nim said he could not get you. Hmmm... We cannot delay his album release. Is there any chance that you can help him out?"

"I heard it from my brother. I'm an illustrator. What he needs is a graphic artist."

"He knows that but he was adamant to have you do it. Please. Can you do it? We cannot afford to delay his solo album. We're going to have world tour after his solo album."

"I'm not..."

Yong Hwa cut me. "I don't know what happened to you both but please can you set it aside. You don't have to meet him. I can arrange time," Yong Hwa was technically begging.

"Are you begging me to do it?"

"If I sound like. Yes I am." he dramatically went down on his knees.

"Ya, Jung Yong Hwa, get up will you."

"Please. I'll do anything for you if you just do this."

I rolled my eyes. "Anything?" He nodded. "First get up and we'll talk about of that anything and we'll talk."

He got up and walked around the easels. "You sure an artist."

"hmmmm… I can't think of now." I was a bit frustrated with myself. I want something that is equal to the service I'll be doing. I'll be paid for sure but because YongHwa seek me out.

"Can you do it and we'll talk about that sometime? I mean… we really have to release his album soon."

"Alright. You got down on your knee and begged. Jong Hyun should be grateful. If not for you I wouldn't be doing this. I'll be down in your agency sometime this week."

"Oh…" Yong Hwa suddenly attacked me with hugs without warning. I felt suffocated.

"Oppa! I can't breath."

"Sorry. I was just sooo happy. Thank you Lee Shin-ah. This means a lot to us and to Jong Hyun."

"How much do I get from this?" I joked.

He laughed. "I don't know. But you can demand."

"Ohhhhh!!! a percentage from the album?" I grinned.

"You can discuss that with the CEO and Jong Hyun. Who knows Jong Hyun might agree with the percentage since he insisted you will do the covers."

"Alright. Now I can buy a new car." I became excited. I don't really need a car. I want a car for the café's employees. I saw how they rushed out to catch the bus and trains. I want them to use for emergency purposes.

We walked back to their table. Jung Shin was asking Soo Jin for a take out crepes.

"Take out? Didn't you had enough?" I asked.

"Uhhhh… for Jong Hyun hyung and Min Hyuk." he was smiling.

What a nice dongsaeng. Thinking of his fellow members.

"I'll make for them but it won't be good as it's fresh. And for the record. I only make those for special people. We don't actually carry them in the café. I …" I paused as I eyed Soo Jin wanted to say something. "Be right back. Looks like an emergency from my manager." I walked towards Soo Jin. "What's going on?"

"Our phone's ringing non stop. I think Jung Shin uploaded the crepes and tagged our café. Look." Soo Jin showed me the photo. Indeed Jung Shin uploaded the crepes in his instagram and tagged Yong Hwa and our café. I scrolled down the comments. Positives. "Oh my gosh! Soo Jin-ah, can we close the café today." I suddenly got scared for my employees. They might not handle loads of fangirls.

"that's what I'm thinking. I'll put up the close sign in our website and Miss Lee Shin, look at this. Jong Hyun uploaded a photo of crepes sometime ago and they're comparing it to your crepes. It looks similar."

I stared at the photo. The crepes I made for Jong Hyun and it's floating again. How can I explain this. And there's the first caller. My brother. "Tae Min-ah,"

"Noona, are you somehow related to CNBLUE?"

"Monster, how about greeting me first? And what about CNBLUE?"

"It's crazy in the internet. You remember I asked you if you know Jong Hyun because of the crepes he uploaded in his instagram? JungShin just uploadded a photo of crepes. It's your crepes and Jung Shin said he's in Glass cafe. Are you in the café?"

"Hmmm….I didn't know they're filming in the café and yes, I made the crepes."

"And Lee Jong Hyun?"

"I don't know about Lee Jong Hyun." I lied. "Monster, they're still here. I'll talk to you later." I don't want to hear more of his inquiries.

"I'll see you tonight," he hang up.

Gosh! He seriously wants to know about Jong Hyun.

I walked back to the table. "You made a buzz in the internet." I said to Jung Shin. "Is that how powerful you guys are. My manager had to unplug the phone and look outside it's crowded."

"ohhh.." Yong Hwa exclaimed. "Advertisement. We need a cut."

"Ya!" I shouted at Yong Hwa.