Living with a stranger: day 10

Perfect Stranger

"You're gone for 2 days. I tried calling your phone but it was off," That's the first thing Jong Hyun asked when he came in. No Good morning or how are you.

"Rule number 2." I simply said.

"To hell with your rules. At least let me know if you'll be gone. What if your parents just show up? What will I tell them?"

Oh ! He has a point. No one knew where I went. "Fine. I'll let you know next time,"

"I don't care about your rules okay? This is my house and my rules apply," it is his turn to be dominant.

I looked at him. "Fine your house but you created this situation so you live with it," I shot back. I don't want to get into argument so early in the morning. I plopped in the couch and the TV. "What? You recorded this?" It's his show We got married. "So lame/" I commented.

"It's a good show. You got to learn how it is to be married." he defended.

"Good my . My.." she paused. "Good. Learn everything you can so when we get married, it will be easier for you," I said with sarcasm and changed the channel. I like business news in the morning. I don't have anything to do with business but I often have the chance to learn what's going on.

"You're not even on business and you watch those? I doubt you understand those. And speaking, don't you have work?"

"I do. I work on my own convenience."

"You've an incoming call," he said. I left my phone at the counter.

I picked it up. It's one of the writer I met in New York. I did few illustrations on her books. "Miss Sally, how are you?"

"Doing good. How are you Miss Shin? How's Korea treating you?"

"Great. Great. I'm getting married soon," I said it louder enough for Jong Hyun to hear.

"Oh... That's a good news but I have a bigger news for you." She told me the news and she's much more excited than I am.

"Oh my... are you serious? Uh... when?"

"next week. Friday."

"Next week. That's.. Sure I'll be coming,"

"See you." she hang up.

I walked back to the couch. "I'm going to New York on Thursday," I told Jong Hyun.

He just nodded.

I went to my room and called my mom. "Mommy I'm going to New York on Thursday," I was happy and excited to tell her.

My excitement went down to the drain when I heard her say, "No. You're not going anywhere. How do I know that you're not running away,"

"Mom, I am not running away. The author is launching her book and she wanted me to be there." I explained but knowing my mother she won't give in easily. "Mom, this is important to me. This is my first work that I used my real name. Please mommy," I begged.

"Then bring your fiancé with you,"

Oh God! I started to get frustrated. "Mommy, Lee Jong Hyun has work. He cannot be anywhere. He has this show and practices. I don't even... Mommy I promise I'll come back."

"Sweetheart, sometime I won't trust you with this. Especially that you're engaged forcefully."

I sighed deeply. "You win mom. We'll set the wedding after I come back," I gave up. I know that's what my mother's been waiting from me.

"That's great sweetheart. We will meet his parent when you come back,"

"Ok." I said weakly and hang up. "Arrrghhh!" I screamed.

"You okay?" Jong Hyun peeked in.

"Sorry." I apologized. "My mother's blackmailing me."

"Would it help if you tell her I'm coming with you?" Jong Hyun suggested as he heard some of the conversation.

"No point. Mom already suggested that and no, you are not coming. You have a lot of schedule. It's just a 3 day trip I'll be back. And..." I paused and bit my lips. "we're meeting your parents when I come back,"

His face went blank. "So you're pushing through with this wedding? I thought you said you're going to find a way to get out of this? what about me? My career? My life?"

"Your life? This, won't be happening if you behaved yourself and stayed out of that girl's perimeter," I snarled. "I have my own quiet life. And for you the nth time, I have no intention of marrying till I made a name of myself."

"darn! No and I meant it. There's no way I am marrying you." he exploded.

"Great! I never dreamt of marrying you either." I turned to my luggage. I started packing my stuffs. "I'll come next time to pick this all. If you have guest, just stuff it all in the box." I heard his bedroom slammed. "This is going to be complicated. I called Jun Ha oppa and told him about the situation. He told me to go to his fiancée. Of course, his fiancée's the best.

~~~

I flew to new York without any word with Lee Jong Hyun. I don't care. I'll deal with everything when I get back. Sally booked me in a five star hotel. She informed me that the launching will be in the morning since it's a children's book and there'll be children around.

I was told to dress casually. I'm glad. I don't think I can pull off gowns. I decided to walk to the venue. It's not far from my hotel.

I was greeted by sally herself when I arrived. The launching wasn't that long. The hall was filled with kids. Oh I so adore kids. There was a short reading of the book and presentation of the author. Miss Sally proudly introduced me to the audience. I bowed and smiled.

We were at the refreshment area when someone hug me from the back. I turned around.

"Honey! I'm so proud of you," Mom kissed my cheek.

"Mommy what are you doing here?" That was the first that came out of my mouth.

"why, of course to support my daughter," Mom was smiling.

I was happy that she came to support me but at the back of my head. It's not the real reason. Mom was afraid I'll ran away. "Have you met Sally? She's a sweetheart," I pulled mom and introduced to Miss Sally.

The day ended almost lunch time. I said goodbye to Miss Sally and she promised to contact me for her next book. I took mom for lunch to one of my favorite restaurant in New York. "Why didn't you tell me you're coming," I pouted at my mother.

"That will spoil the surprise. I proud of you honey."

"Thanks mom. I am going back tomorrow morning. Are you on the same flight as me?"

"yeah. I see you booked yourself in business class,"

"Mom, I prefer it that way." I reasoned out.

"Alright. How about we shop here in New York for something for your wedding," Mom was looking at  me.

Oh my God! I am telling you. Mom is unbelievable. "Sure. The thing is I don't know where to start," Duh! I have no idea on weddings. I only attended one of my friend's wedding in Australia and I just show up. Didn't know what to do and so on. Turned out that mom had everything in her list. From the tiniest detail of the church to the wedding dress. Oh My God! How can I get away from this? I wish Genie's are real. I can wish them to take me far away.

"Sweetheart, what do you think of this for Tae Min?" Mom woke me from my reverie.

"Mom?!" I nearly shouted. "You think Tae Min wants to wear that? Your son is competing with style and fashion," I eyed the suit mom was holding. "he'd rather wear pink shirt,"

"Comeon sweetheart. It will be your wedding. He's going to wear a tux,"

"Then let his stylist choose one." I shot back at mom. Gosh! Thinking of the wedding alone makes me puke. How much more of that day?

The shopping lasted till dinner time. Mom and I had a dinner at one of NY's best diner. Did I say diner? Yep, diner. Mom was hesitant to enter at first. But when the food came, she was totally into it.