Try again

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'She's not your future, Sehun. It's about time you realized that. I won't allow you to pass up going to the State to follow a girl, especially that one.'

'It's not your choice to make for me, Dad,' Sehun bit back. 'I don't expect you to understand.'

'Honey, what are you doing?' Mrs.Oh beckoned from afar, 'We're going to be late.'

I ramained still, having collapsed flat against the restroom door with my heart pounding and my head racing. What just happened? I knew Mr.Oh was withdrawn, but I had no idea it was because he didn't approve of me. His reaction sank in, and my lip quivered. 

I bit my lip, taking a deep breath to compose myself.

Then I walked around the corner and forced a smile when I saw Sehun waiting for me with my jacket over his arm.

'Are you okay?' he asked, inspecting my face. I pushed my smile wider with a nod of my head. I slipped my arms into the jacket with my back towards Sehun, afraid he could see right through me. 

Sehun held the door open and allowed me to lead the way to the limo. EunJi and Luhan were across from us, lost in conversation about who they deemed to be the best guitarist.

Sehun took my hand. 'Are you shaking?'

'It's cold,' I lied, wanting to roll my eyes at my involuntary reaction. Sehun wrapped his arm around me to warm me up. I eased away the nerves, nuzzling into him. 

'Wow,' EunJi admired the uplit mansion as the limo slowly crept in line with the others. A streak of nerves twisted my stomach. I felt like I was nearing the head of the line for a death-defying roller coaster ride.

'They're just people,' Sehun assured me in a whisper, probably noticing I wasn't breathing. I exhaled to relax my shoulders, squeezing his hand. 

Just people soaked in jewels of every colour or poised in tailored tuxedoes, full of judgement and snide comments. We made our way through the glitz-covered bodies shimmering in the candlelight. The voices swirled in time with the smooth jazz band in the ballroom.

Everywhere I looked, I was struck by more brilliance.

'Mrs.Oh, this is incredible,' EunJi gawked. 'I've never seen anything so beautiful.'

'I'm not so sure my sons would agree,' Mrs.Oh replied with a sparkling smile. My cheeks grew warm when Sehun squeezed my hand. 'This did turn out more spectacular than I could have hoped. I am so happy to have you all here with me. I need to greet a few more guests, but I will be expecting a dance later, Sehun.' The corner of rose as she met her son's eyes, and she glided away in the antique ivory dress that floated around her. Mrs.Oh was the picture of sophistication with her dyed blonde hair swept back into a French twist. I admired how collected she always remained, even in a setting that was completely overwhelming to me.

'What was that about?' EunJi demanded, looking at Sehun. 'Do you have a crazy dance moves or something?'

Luhan la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter