People Change

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I sat in the kitchen with her while she explained what she was doing as she filled the pork chops with stuffing. I just nodded like I was paying attention, knowing it was useless. I could figure out the most complex equations, or understand the working of the nervous system, but asking me to baste or julienne anything caused anxiety beyond explanation.

My mother set the plates down on the table I'd set for two, the one thing I could do.

'Thank you,' I said, sitting down with a glass of water.

'Sure,' she responded, sitting across from me. 

When I looked up from my plate to praise her for the meal, I found her watching me. It was like she was examining every inch of my face, so intently that it made me want to sink under the table. 

'I forgot how much you look like him.' Her eyes were glassy and distant - she was looking at me but not at the same time. I bowed my head to escape her sorrowful gaze. 

'So, EunJi seems like she's an amazing friend,' my mother said, her voice suddenly back to normal. I glanced up as she pierced the cut pork chop with her fork.

'Uh, yeah,' I responded, shaking off the haunted look in her eye. 'She's my best friend.'

'I have one of those,' my mother smiled. 'Sharon.' She let out a laugh just thinking about her. 'We've done everything together. She usually gets me into trouble, but I have the best stories because of her.'

I nodded, trying to remember this woman who seemed to be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter