Overreaction

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'I still owe you a Valentine's Day,' Sehun stated in the car, after I'd stuffed my face with way too many blueberry pancakes.

'No you don't,' I replied honestly. 'I don't think anything will be able to top last night. It was pretty great.'

'It was,' he agreed, pulling down my street. 'But would you be interested in going on a normal date? You know, adventure-less? Dinner, movies or something?'

I grinned at the thought of the two of us in a restaurant and nodded. 'That would be nice.'

'After I get back,' Sehun promised, turning into the driveway. 

I only half heard him because I was staring at the cheerful yellow house, fearful for what awaited me after my mother's distaught phone call.

'Are you okay?' Sehun asked from behind me.

'Huh?' I answered, pulling my eyes away to look at him. 

'Is everything all right between you and your mother? You were really upset last night.'

'I felt bad that I worried her, that's all. Just a miscommunication,' I explained lightly, not wanting him to hear the guilt beneath the sugar coating. 'We're fine.' When he didn't look convinced, I insisted with a smile, 'Really.'

'You'd tell me, right?' Sehun looked into my eyes, trying to read the truth. I blinked away, turning my eyes to the floor. 

'Of course,' I answered, opening the door. I leaned over and pressed my lips to his, begging him to believe me. 'Have fun with the guys. I'll see you on Sunday.'

He pulled me towards him and gave me a kiss that would be sure to tide us over for the entire week. Barely able to stand, I staggered towards the door - turning once to wave before he backed out of the driveway.

I took a deep breath, sobering instantly when I clasped the cold door handle. I pushed it open with my pulse racing, not sure what was about to happen. I quietly shut the door behind me, and froze when I heard laughter coming front the kitchen. Not at all what I was expecting. 

'SooJi,' My mother exclaimed, still giggling from within the kitchen. 'How was the party?'

The radio playing in the background was suddenly cut off by the high-pitched sounds of a blender.

'Don't let it go too thin,' my mother instructed. I walked to the doorway to find the counters covered in food in different stages of preparation. Tomatoes were diced on a cutting board; garlic skins littered the tables; lime slices lay squeezed and abandoned. The entire kitchen smelled like a Mexican restaurant.

'Hi,' I greeted them hesitantly.

'Hey,' Chanyeol smiled, appearing completely relaxed. 'We're, umm....'

'Preparing for Margarita Call Out of Work Day,' my mother explained. That's when it struck me that they were supposed to be at work, it being Monday. 'We're going to Heidi's to play cards and pretend we're in Mexico.' 

'Oh,' I responded, thrown by her exuberant disposition. 'Sounds fun.'

'Yes it does,' she answered excitedly. 'I figured Chanyeol could handle making salsa.' She examined the contents of the blender. 'Maybe I was wrong. Sweetie, just go start packing the bag, and I'll fix this, okay?' She kissed him on the cheek when he grimaced apologetically. 

'He can't cook either,' she explained with a comical shak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter