Under The Surface

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When I opened my eyes, the room was a warm gold as the sun filtered through the trees. My heavy lids closed again, and I pulled the blanket over me. I was about to drift off when I set my hand down and felt the hard lines of his thigh beneath it. My eyes stretched wide. My instinct was to jump up from the couch, freaked that I had falled asleep with my head on his leg. But I didn't want to wake him, so I sat up slowly. Chanyeol remained seated on the end of the couch, his head lolling to the side, breathing deeply. 

I found my jacket draped over the arm of the rocking chair and my shoes placed beneath it - though I knew I'd had them on when I'd fallen asleep. I rubbed my eyes to ward off the remaining drowsiness and carefully rose from the couch. A floorboard creaked when I stood. His head rocked in response, and his eyes blinked open. 

'Sorry,' I whispered, my heart beating quickly. I'd really wanted to be gone by the time he woke up. 

'What time is it?' he asked, squinting as he read his watch. 'I should get going.' He yawned and stretched his arms over his head.

'You're not staying?'

'Um,' he stalled, not expecting the strain in my voice. I bit my lip, realizing how I sounded.

'I mean,' I fumbled, searching for a way to fix it. 'I thought that-'

'I can stay,' he interrupted. He sighed as his eyes climbed the stairs.

'You don't have to.' I could tell he was unsettled by his decision.

'I don't understand what h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter