Lifestyles

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A creak pulled me from my sleep. I remained still with my eyes closed, listening to the wind push against the house and the groans of the old building fighting against it. I opened my eyes, staring into the dark with my ears at attention. There was another creak, closer to my room.

My unblinking eyes slowly adjusted to the light, as little as there was. But it didn't matter how much I stared at the door, I couldn't see into the black paint. I might as well have been looking into an abyss. I only knew where it was because a silve of light seeped in under its uneven edge. Another board let out a creak right outside the door.

I wanted to call out for my mother, hoping it was her. But I remained paralysed in my bed. The only thing that moved was my heart racing in my chest. I heard the handle jiggle, and the hinges shrieked open. The silhouette stood in the door's frame, unmoving.

I opened my mouth to ask who it was, but I could barely breathe. The person stepped forward, allowing just enough light to make out the angular features of her face and the sneer on her lips. I looked down at ther hand and she was holding something hard. It reflected the light enough for me to know that whatever it was, it was going to hurt.

'You don't deserve to live,' she grunted, raising her arm over her head. 

'SooJi!' another voice screamed. My eyes shot open. I remained frozen, breathing heavily, trying to orient myself. The door flung open and my mother

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter