All Better

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My mother didn't stir the entire time Chanyeol was gone, thankfully. I hadn't been looking forward to telling her he wasn't there.

I texted back and forth with Sehun most of the afternoon. He and Luhan were at an all-day Super Bowl party off-campus. It sounded like quite the spectacle from the details Sehun provided. I let him go right before kick-off, wanting him to enjoy the game with his brother and not worry about responding to me. 

I kept checking my phone anyway, still not having heard from EunJi. I wanted her to be the first to reach out after the way we'd left things, and it took everything I had not to text her as I grew more anxious.

Chanyeol returned five minutes into the game. 

'Ah,' he groaned, looking flushed and freshly changed. 'I miss kick-off.'

'Don't worry,' I consoled him. 'Nothing's happened really. You look.... different.' It was hard not to notice.

'I had to tap back into my life for a while,' he explained, sitting down on the couch next to me with his eyes fixed on the game. 'Got a haircut, went to the gym, made sure my place hadn't burned down.'

I laughed, not expecting his sense of humour. 'Well the hair looks good.'

'Thanks.' He flashed me a blush-inducing grin. I reached for a handful of chips, to keep from saying something else outlandish about how good he looked. 'I bought beer. You don't mind, do you?'

'Uh, no,' I answered, surprised that he asked. 'It's football. Isn't that part of the guys' book of conduct? That a beer must be in your hand while watching?'

He laughed. 'Do you want one? I could overlook the fact that you're a girl for the night.'

'No,' I responded emphatically. 'Not legal, remember?'

'Oh, that's right,' he answered, feigning forgetfullness. 'I'm supposed to be the responsible adult, right?' He shook his head like the thought sounded ridiculous. He got up from the couch and went into the kitchen, coming back with a beer and a Mountain Dew. 

'Perfect, thanks,' I said, taking the bottle from his hand. 

We watched football and ate overly greasy food while making fun of the overpriced commercials that fell flat and laughing at those that were worth the millions. And we'd take turns checking on my mother whenever we heard her moan.

In the middle of the third quarter, the doorbell rang. Chanyeol and I peered at each other quizzically, neither expecting a visitor. I shurgged and got up to answer the door. 

'Hey,' EunJi said, as soon as the door opened. She had a number nine written in gold on her cheek, with her red hair pulled back into a high ponytail. I let the door go so she could enter. She peered into the living room to find Chanyeol. 

'Hi, Chanyeol.' She gave a small wave.

'Hey, EunJi,' he reponded. 'Nice look.'

'Thanks,' she smiled.

EunJi looked back towards me nervously. 'I tried to call you,' she said, pulling on the corner of her shirt. 

'You did? I'm sorry, I didn't hear my phone.' I groaned inwardly, frustrated that I'd missed it - most likely I'd been checking on my mother when she'd called.

'Can we talk?' she asked in a quiet voice, flipping her eyes from the floor up to me. 'I mean, if you guys are watching the game, I can come back.'

'Seriously?' I stared at her incredulously. She pressed her lips into a small smile. 'Let's go upstairs.' 

I closed the door behind us and sat at the end

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter