People Change

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'GOOD MORNING,' SEHUN GREETED ME FROM the slick wallway. I closed the door behind me, leaving my mother in the shower getting ready for work.

'Hi,' I replied flatly, adjusting my backpack over my shoulder as I took calculated steps towards his car.

'You have something against mornings, don't you?' Sehun teased, opening the passenger door. I smirked before kissing him briefly on the lips and ducking into the car.

When he'd closed his door I explained, 'Sorry, I didn't sleep well. This house is super creaky.' Considering my weariness, I was glad he'd offered to pick me up on our first day back after the break.

'What are you doing after practice tonight? Do you want to come over?'

'Sure,' I answered automatically, and then quickly countered with, 'I can't.'

Sehun appeared confused.

'I'm going grocery shopping with my mother,' I explained. 'She's not sure what I eat, so she wants me to go with her.'

'Okay,' Sehun replied. 'How was it after I left last night? You two were pretty funny at dinner - she talks when she's nervous, and you don't say anything.'

'That was torture for you wasn't it?'

'I was fine,' he chuckled. 'I'm pretty sure it was worse for you.'

'I... I don't know what to talk to her about,' I confessed.

'I think you could just let her do all the talking,' Sehun advised comically.

I stared out the window in a daze. I didn't realize we had pulled into the school parking lot until the car stopped. A wave of dread consumed me as I watched the students getting out of their cars.

Sehun acknowledged this, reading my thoughts. 'I know you don't want to be here,' he said, 'but I'm convinced it'll be different.' I didn't say anything and got out of the car.

I used to look forward to coming to school - not for the social life, but to escape the oppression at home. After everything that had happened, my safe place had become the place I dreaded the most.

When I'd started the school year, I'd kept my head bowed, trying to retract further into my shell - not only in the halls but in the classroom as well. I'd refused to participate other than to complete the assignments. EunJi and Sehun eventually gave up trying to encourage me, promising that it wasn't as bad as I thought.

I stared at the brick building and took a deep breath before closing the car door. I pulled my backpack

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter