Inside Out

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I looked at his face as he held my hand, walking with me along the beach. He hadn't shaved for a few days, making him look like he should be camping, not collecting seashells with his daughter. The ocean air ruffled his dark brown hair but his smile was permanent, making the lines along his eyes crease, like they were smiling too. 

I held the pail in my hand, swinging it lightly. My eyes flitted everywhere except the ground - the brids darting along the shoreline pecking at the sand, the dark rolling water crashing into the rocks, then back to my father's face that looked so relaxed and peaceful. 

'There's a good one,' he said, stopping to bend down and pluck a white pearly shell from the sand. 'What do you think of this one, SooJi?' He held it up for me to inspect.

I took the shell in my hand and ran my fingers over its smooth surface. 

'It's perfect...' I looked up, but he wasn't there. I turned around searching, but I was alone. 

'SooJi-ah?' the smooth voice whispered in my ear. 'SooJi, we're home.'

I blinked my eyes open in a panic. I was still wrapped in Sehun's arm, but the empty car was quiet and dark. I inhaled deeply, and stretched to sit up. 

'I wish I could've let you sleep,' Sehun said softly, still holding my hand in his. 'You looked so peaceful. You haven't been sleeping much, huh?' 

'Not really,' I admitted. 'I can't believe I slept the entire car ride. Did everyone leave?'

'EunJi and Luhan are inside.'

He opened the car door and held it open until I stepped out. 

'Wanna sleep over tonight?' EunJi asked when Sehun and I entered the kitchen door.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter