Try again

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IT'S JUST A DREAM. I RECOGNIZED THE thought, trying to pull me out of the hands that dragged me to the darkest depths of the water, But panic over-shadowed the rational thought, and I kicked as hard as I could. It's just a dream, my voice echoed through my head again, trying to wake me. 

I looked down in the murky water, my breath burning in my lungs. The hands were now long, jagged claws, and as I kicked, one claw pierced my ankle, anchoring me under the water. A dark cloud surrounded me as the blood oozed around its nails. I struggled against it, but it only tore deeper into me. A rush of air bubbled around me as I screamed in pain. I was about to inhale my death when something pressed against my face.

It didn't feel like a dream anymore.

I shot up with a gasp, the pillow falling from my face. Disoriented and panting, I searched the room. Eunji stood frozen by her bed, her eyes wide and mouth open.

'I'm so sorry,' she muttered. 'I thought I heard you talking. I thought you were awake.'

'I'm awake,' I said, exhaling quickly. With a deep breath, I pushed the panic away. Eunji remained stunned even after I'd recovered. 

'I shouldn't have thrown the pillow on your head. 'I'm really sorry,' she frowned guiltily.

'What are you talking about?' After another deep breath to ease the shaking, I pulled back the covers. They clung to the layer of sweat covering my body.

'Good morning, EunJi,' I said as normally as I could. 

'Good morning, SooJi,' she finally replied, forced out of her guilt-ridden stupor. And just like that, it was over, thankfully. 'I'm going to take a shower. We have to hurry. We're leaving in an hour.' She grabbed her things and disappeared. 

I'd been trying to prepare myself for this day for over a month. It didn't matter. I was still freaked just thinking about it. And now it was here. 

I collapsed back on the bed and stared up at the white glowing skylights that lined the ceiling, the morning sun hidden behind the snow. 

I looked around the room that have no true connection to me - the large flat-screen hanging on the wall, and a vanity in the corner, lined with make-up that had seen way too many makeovers at my expense. There were pictures of laughing friends taped to the mirror, and vibrant art adorned the walls. No reminder of my life before I came here. It was the place where I'd been hiding - hiding from the judgements, whispers and stares. 

Why was I here? I knew the answer. It I had the choice, I'd never leave. It's not like I had anywhere else to go, and the Park's family wouldn't turn their backs on me. They were the only family I had, and for that I would al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter