Try again

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a day of being prepped ad primped from head to toe, I was exhausted, and we hadn't even been to the party yet. Or maybe it was the drama of the impromptu decision to move in with my mother that drained my energy. Either way, I was having a hard time looking forward to tonight.

'I don't understand why you're moving in with her,' EunJi reprimanded me out of nowhere as she smoothed the brush over my lids. 'Couldn't you start with... uh... talking first? I just don't like it. She left you, SooJi-ah. Why go back?'

'EunJi-ah, please,' I implored her quietly, 'I need to do this. I know it seems messed up to you, but it's important to me. It's not like you're losing me or anything. And if it's horrible, I'll move back in with you. I feel like I should give her another chance.' 

EunJi sighed dramatically. 'I still don't think it's a good idea, but...' She paused a moment. 'You're one of the most stubborn people I know, and if this is what you want to do, I know I won't be able to talk you out of it. Um, you can open your eyes now.'

I stretched my eyes open and blinked, the mascara sticking along my lashes.

She deliberated, finally conceding with a roll of her eyes, 'Fine. Live with her. But she'd better not do anything monumentally stupid like she did when she left you with Psycho.'

I grinned, adoring EunJi's protectiveness. 'Thank you. So... How do I look?'

'Amazing, of course,' EunJi gloated, taking in her masterpiece. 'I'm going to put my dress on, and then we'll be ready to meet the guys in the lobby.'

I picked up the note that had been waiting for us when we returned to the hotel and ran my thumb over the elegant script.

Dear SooJi and EunJi

I am thrilled that you have arrived safely and hope you enjoy your afternoon together. I am looking forward to seeing you this evening for dinner. I have arranged for the car to pick you up along with Sehun and Luhan at 6:45 p.m. for our 7:00 p.m. reservation.

I have no doubt that you will enjoy all that has been planned this evening!

Sincerely,

Mrs.Oh

'I hope I don't embarrass her,' I hollered through the bathroom door.

'Stop being so nervous,' EunJi returned. 'Mrs.Oh really wants you there. This is important to her. She even convinced Luhan to take me so I could be here with you.'

I grinned, knowing that Luhan didn't need much convincing.

'What do you think? You haven't said anything about how you look.'

'Oh, uh,' I stepped in front of the full-length mirror, and my lips curled up naturally. There was a slight resemblance to the girl who preferred jeans and a ponytail, the girl who still couldn't conquer applying make-up on her own. Her light brown eyes glistened under a shimmer of pink and dark lashes. Those were her flushed cheeks, and her full lips veiled with gloss, smiling back at me. 

I turned to the side and the layers of chiffon flowed around me. My fingers traced the soft pink embroidered design on the champagne corseted top. EunJi had chosen the same shade of pink to weave in my hair, resembling an inset headband, and a pile of soft curls was artistically stacked at the nape of my neck. I picked up the finishing  touch from the dresser and secured it around my neck, allowing my fingertips to brush the sparkling diamond as I had the day he'd given it to me.

As EunJi stepped out of the bathroom, I turned towards the door with my cheeks aglow, ready to thank her for her ingenious transformation, but I was held speechless at the sight of her. The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter