Inside Out

Barely breathing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I pulled into the Oh's driveway to find more cars than usual. Along with Mrs.Oh and Sehun's BMWs and Mr.Oh's Mercedes were a black Lexus and a blue Prius. I parked in the middle of the long driveway, blocking them all in - figuring we'd be leaving as soon as Sehun put on his jacket. 

I knocked. No one answered. I knocked again and waited longer - still no one came to the door. I turned the knob and slowly let myself in, cautiously scanning the kitchen. 

'Hello?' I called out, creeping further into the large kitchen. That's when I heard laughter. I stopped to listen and then moved towards the voices down the hall. 

One of the doors along the long hallway, a door that was always shut when I visited, was cracked open. I could hear the voices coming from inside. I recognized Sehun's.

'You are far from awkward,' he said. 

'Believe me, he knows awkward,' Mr.Oh teased with a light laugh. 

'Dad!' Sehun said scornfully, but with a playfulness in his voice. 'She's not awkward either.'

'She's something else entirely,' Mr.Oh chuckled. 

'What do you mean?' she asked. Analise - of course.

I knocked. All conversation ceased as I became visible at the entrance. 

'Hi.' I scanned each surprised face and noted the stacks of envelopes piled on the large conference table where they were sitting. 

'Hi.' Sehun acknowledged me with a dazzling smile. 'It's ten?' I nodded. 'Sorry. Lost track of time. Do you want to help? I promised my mother we'd stuff all these envelopes before we left. We're almost done.' 

'Oh.' I glanced from Analise's bright eyes to Mr.Oh, who wouldn't look at me at all. 'Um, I need to get my things together for the hike. I just kinda threw them in my car so I could get here. I'll meet you outside, if that's okay.'

'Okay, sure,' Sehun replied hesitantly. 'I won't be long.' I nodded and slowly walked away. 

I'd obviously interrupted something, and I wasn't about to ruin it with my awkwardness. I couldn't believe I'd heard Mr.Oh laugh. I'd never even seen him smile. I closed the kitchen door behind me, shutting out the voices and laughter with it. 

I walked towards the garage instead of my car, leaving my expertly-packed backpack resting on the back seat. I made my way up the stairs to the rec room, plopping down on the couch. 

I lay there, staring at the beamed ceiling. 

My phone beeped. How are you this morning? lit up the screen. 

Tired. And you?

Same, he answered. I'm really sorry about last night . How is she today?

Didn't see her.

I'm going to talk to her. Going to be honest. 

I stared at the last text, not sure what part he planned to be honest about. Before I could respond, I heard, 'Here you are.' EunJi stood at the top of the stairs. 

'Hi,' I sat up in surprise. 'What are you doing back?'

'We're going hiking with you,' she revealed in excitement. 

'Great,' I responded, but my voice fell flat. 

EunJi eyed me suspiciously. 'Do you not want us to? Did you want to be alone with Sehun?'

'No, it's great.' I smiled weakly, turly not concerned with the added company.

'You're not right,' EunJi observed, coming around to sit next to me on the couch. 'Spill it.'

'It's nothing really. Just tired. My mother and Chaneyeol had a fight last night, and I thought they broke up...'

'I heard,' EunJi exclaimed. 'I thought Haeun was exaggerating.'

I groaned. Of course. Haeun had had a front-row seat for most of the debacle. 'Did Haeun said anything else?' I asked, suddenly concerned that the drinking part had been leaked as well. 

'No,' EunJi returned. 'Why? Is there something else?'

'No,' I lied. 'That was enough drama for one night.'

'That's why today is exactly what you ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter