The

Mission: Possible

The next day, Gerald's thoughts about Lorin were put aside after getting a call from Steve informing him about the mysterious text message Kim received the previous night. He drove to her house right away and picked her up. "I heard about what happened last night." He noticed the dark circle forming around her eyes and said, "You need rest. You probably didn't get that much sleep."

Kim just nodded and dozed off right away.

Unknown to Kim, they have stopped at a coffee shop and Gerald bought two cups of hot coffee for later. They arrived at the NBI office, seeing Kim's car parked in front of the main building. "Here, have some coffee." He handed her the hot cup and they walked inside. Steve was already waiting for them in his office.

"Kim, the number from last night that you sent me... the phone company says that it just got registered yesterday under the name Rodrigo Perez. It might be an alias and there are a lot of the same names in our database and all over the Philippines, even outside. That message seemed like it was a threat, specifically to you. You may have caught him before or anyone with him and he wants revenge. You need to watch your back at all times." Steve said truthfully. "Our job isn't always as exciting as it may sound, it also comes with great danger."

Kim knew this before coming into the job, but she hasn't been this terrified because of her job. This was scarier than getting shot, she thought. She's in a risky business and her life will always be in danger. In her three years of service, she underwent a lot of investigations and raids that caused her life to be on the line, though this was different than what she had to deal with in the past. She didn't know the culprit or where this message was from. Her enemy could be somewhere far or just in front of her. She needs to be careful at all times.

 

"I'm... terrified. I don't know what to do, Gerald." She told him as they sat in their cubicles.

He tried to take away her worries by comforting her, "Don't think too much about it or you won't be able to focus on what we're doing." He took her pinky in his and said. "I'll take care of you, I promise."

And he did so.

Weeks passed. Even though Kim's car is back and running Gerald would not let her go anywhere alone. True to his promise, he went with her everywhere though it meant picking her up and dropping her off or simply following her with his car. He did not let her out of his sight and even asked her to put his number on speed dial in case of an emergency. She did not receive anymore messages from that number after the incident.

"Gerald, I think this is just over the top. I'm not scared anymore. It's been almost a month, that was probably a prank. I think I'm fine now." She said one night before going down.

He refused, "But Kim..."

"No buts Andy. I'll drive to work tomorrow. If I don't get there on time, then we have a problem. If I do, then that means I can take care of myself." He just had to agree with her. He knew he couldn't win an argument with Kim.

 

The next day, Kim arrived and saw Gerald outside with some girl who she figured was the girl he was talking about when he was over at her house. They seemed to be having an uncomfortable conversation, as she watched their body language and Gerald's expression.

"Hey Andy!" She winked at him as he sat on his chair. "Guess who got here safely." She stood by his desk, coffee mug in hand. "So, you seem stressed about that... girl. What's her name again?" Kim was back to her usual self unlike a few weeks earlier after getting the text message. Mama Pet decided to stay with her for good after finding out what happened and warned her to be careful at all times.

"Lorin." Gerald replied. "She showed up here after that night she told me she was at my house. I don't think she's coming back though."

"That's good." Kim replied. "So what did you say that made her leave you alone?"

"The truth."

"That karma is a ?" She asked.

"That was pretty much it." They laughed together. "I'm glad you recovered, Chewy."

"Thanks. Hey, have I told you about my vacation? I'm going to be gone for a week and a half. I'm going to the beach. It's my bestfriends' wedding."

"Hmm... I wish I can go to the beach."

A thought crossed Kim's mind. "Hey, great idea! You wanna come?"

"What? You want me to gatecrash?"

"No silly. You'll be my !" Kim smiled as she thought how brilliant her plan sounded. "I'll take care of all the expenses and beg Tito Steve to let you have a week of too!" She told him excitedly.

She's been thinking about who she was going to take as her and Gerald didn't even cross her mind. Now, all she has to do is take Gerald with her and everything will be fine. Well, that is if Steve agrees to let Gerald go, but with the previous situation, she can use her safety as an excuse and Steve will let him go with her.

 

Blah chapter. The next ones will be better!