Short Separation

Mission: Possible

Kim had done it. She had finally done it! All thanks to Gerald and his encouragements. She was now on her way to the stage to grab her diploma. The cap and gown fit her perfectly and she looked ahead of her then continued to walk. As she stood in the middle of the stage, she looked at the people. Gerald was there with her dad and his family.

She smiled at them and they smiled back and then everything started to fade. She started to panic and everything turned black. She was standing alone by herself.

That was the moment when Gerald woke her up. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just had a dream. It was good then it kinda turned bad." She was sweating a little bit, but she felt fine. "I was alone. In the dark."

"You're going to be fine. I'm here!" He hugged her. "Are you going to start getting ready school?"

A smile formed on Kim's face. "Yeah, in a little bit. I just can't believe that I'll be graduating in a few weeks."

"You worked real hard the last two years in school and now you're gonna be a teacher. I'm really proud of you. Your dad is coming right?" He asked.

"Yeah, they are." Kim stood up. "Why don't we have dinner at the restaurant today after school. I won't be able to cook for your mom tonight. And she might not like my cooking. It might give her a bad first impression of me too."

"She likes you! What are you talking about? You see how excited she is when she sees you in the camera. She's so excited to meet her future daughter-in-law." Gerald bragged. He started getting dressed and he went downstairs as Kim took a shower.

Gerald had already proposed to Kim after he asked her father on their last trip to Cebu at the beach where they had their heart-to-heart talk. He would sometimes sleep at her house or vice versa. They were extremely happy and in love. He promised Kim that to lessen her worries, he would resign from NBI. They were both glad with the decisions they have made.

They were obviously really in love. Their bond is so strong, nothing can tear their relationship apart.

Gerald went downstairs and showered also. He got dressed to drop Kim off at school and then pick up his mom.

He couldn't wipe off the smile off his face. He considers himself the luckiest and happiest man alive to be with Kim and having everything he had ever wanted, love-wise. Kim came down to see Gerald daydreaming.

"You ready baby?" Kim laughed. "You were a little off for a while." She kissed him on the cheek.

"Let's go! Last one out the door is a rotten egg!"

Kim walked slowly and reached the door last. "Would you still kiss me even if I'm a rotten egg?"

"If all rotten eggs are like you, then this world would be a better place baby." He gave her a quick smack on the lips. "I love you."

Kim giggled. "I love you too!"

Gerald was excited to meet his mom at the airport, she just called him the other day and shared the news of her arrival but did not disclose anymore information of her sudden trip. He wasn't sure why his mom was in such a hurry when they just saw each other when his mom visited and left with his brother a few weeks back. He didn't mind all that much though, his mom just flies back and forth whenever she feels like she misses home and him. As he sat outside the airport, he thought of Kim and the idea of starting a family with her. He touched the necklace around his neck and smiled.

Nothing can get any better than this, he thought.

"Son! Rj!" She hugged him.

Gerald looked at his mom and saw that she was only carrying a purse. "Where's the rest of your stuff mom?"

"This is everything. Can we go to your house immediately? I'll tell you everything on the way."

His mom told him the details he needed to know. She came to pick him up and they would both go back to the States to help take care of his dad who had a heart problem. As soon as he got home, he packed his clothes and other necessities and started contacting Kim but she was not answering his calls. He sent her a message and took a cab to the airport. While at the boarding area, he continued to contact her.

"Come on baby, our flight is going in a few minutes. Please answer!" Gerald didn't stop contacting her.

Finally someone answered, "Hello? Kim!"

"Ge, is there anything wrong? I saw your missed calls."

"Kim, I'm at the airport right now and I came to pick up my mom..."

"Are we still having dinner?"

"No... Kim there's an emergency. My dad is in a critical condition. I hope you understand. I didn't know. My mom already has a ticket ready for me and we're boarding soon. I love you baby. I'm really sorry it's just really urgent. I'll contact you as soon as I can." He explained.

Kim understood. "That's terrible! It's fine really. Just take care. I love you too."

"Bye. Be safe."

 

***********

 

Kim was worried. The last time Gerald had contacted her was via e-mail two weeks ago. He had told her that his resignation letter was accepted and he is no longer with NBI. He has been gone for almost a month and she knew he would be busy taking care of his dad and comforting his mom and brother. She busied herself with her studies and she was glad it would end soon.

She was startled when she heard her phone ring, waking her up from her trance. "Hello?"

Kim was shocked, "Really? Of course! I'd be glad to! Yes. Thanks, bye."

When the phone call ended she started rejoicing. She has just been offered to teach before she even graduated. She made a note to herself: Thank Melissa later.

There was a knock on her door and she saw the mail man and he handed her an envelope. It was a letter from Gerald.

Kim,

I'm really sorry you have to be alone, but my family needs me right now. I can't leave them alone yet. I might be here for a few more months. I'm really sorry, but I don't think I can be with you on your graduation and birthday. I feel really terrible. Hopefully dad wakes up soon and I can go back there with my whole family so you can finally meet my parents in person. Always remember that you'll never be alone. I'm always by your side, even though I'm not there physically, I hope you keep that in mind. I know I need to do my duty as their son even though I am not really sure myself how to react to all this. I always pray at night that I could still have more years with him and that in those years I can also spend them with you. I miss your scent, your adorable and infectious laughter, your beautiful face. Thanks for everything. I'm sorry, I can't call or go on the internet to check my e-mail. This is the only way I could contact you for now. I practically live in the hospital, always watching for a sign... my dad is still the same. I hope you are doing fine. Don't stress yourself out too much.

I love you, forever and always...

-Gerald

She missed him so much and wondered how many more months will he be away for. She wanted to write him back but he did not write anything on the envelope, but her name and address. She read his letter over and over again, hoping she could help him by trying to ease his worries, by holding on to him.