Troubled

Mission: Possible

After their peaceful lunch, Gerald received a call from Steve informing them of the new plans. From their mission, they will have to hand the case over to other agents for a more important case. "Tito Steve wants us to come back there as soon as possible. There's a big change in the plans. I'll tell you in the car."

"By the way," Gerald said as he the car's engine. "your car will be ready by tomorrow. I'll just have Fred drop it off at the NBI parking lot."

"Hey, thanks a lot... for everything the last few days. I really do appreciate it." Kim smiled and put on her seatbelt. "What's with the change of plans?" She asked.

Gerald explained what Steve had told him. "He said that he has to give us a new mission. There's a modus operandi in Quiapo and he said that they run on the same place. Do you have any idea?" Kim shrugged; they have caught a lot of people in Quiapo. It's the home of thieves and syndicates; she wouldn't be able to tell after three years. They have sent a lot of people to jail though some of the people get released right away due to the bad government system and get back to their old jobs. "Well, it seems serious that he had to pull us out of an ongoing operation. I haven't been with NBI for that long, but knowing Tito Steve for my whole life, he seemed serious."

"Yeah," Kim agreed, "I have never been pulled out of a case either. Or maybe just because I have an idea on how this group runs, that's why he decided to let us handle the case." Kim answered though she had a bad feeling about this. She had bad feelings about other cases too,  but not as strong as this one. "I am not feeling good about this case." Kim shared and Gerald looked at her.

"I won't let anything bad happen to you Kim. Plus, you are one of our best agents. Cheer up." He assured her and touched her on the shoulder. Her shoulders relaxed, some worries were taken off. Still, she had that bad feeling coming from the pit of her stomach.

"Let's go. You're just nervous because it's your first time to get pulled out of a mission. Don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong. You're specialty is just needed for another case, okay?" They drove off to NBI where the news was awaiting their arrival.

 

Steve was pacing back and forth the small space in his office holding a Manila folder when Kim and Gerald came in. "Good thing you arrived. Have a seat." He sat down and opened the folder. He explained the modus operandi while the two listened intently. "They did not change their operations," He said to Kim. "I don't know what point they are trying to make, or if they are trying to make a point. I just want this group to stop. They're a bunch of people taking advantage of others... but with this government or this economy and their situation in life, I have some pity for them. They are a big group of syndicates..." Steve noticed the worry in Kim's face and ask, "What's wrong Kim? Are you worried?"

"Yes. I just have a bad feeling about this." Kim replied truthfully. "Don't worry, I'll get over it."

Gerald put an arm around her as they walked out, she looked up at him, "If anything happens to you, I would blame myself. I will always try to protect you partner."

 

"Mama Pet, I'm home!" Kim greeted her grandmother as she walked in, pulling her luggage behind her. Her thoughts of worry were wiped away as she hugged Mama Pet.

"Kimmy, I thought you'd be away for a while. We have a visitor, I invited your cousin Maja. She'll be coming in a few minutes. I told her I am here by myself and she said she would stay with me."

Kim smiled, "Mama, I also have someone..." She was cut off when the door bell rang.

"That's probably, Maja!" Mama Pet jumped up in glee, she followed her grandma to the door who was a little bit surprised. "Kim," She looked behind her and whispered. "you didn't tell me he's your visitor." She winked at Kim and pulled Gerald in the house.

Shortly after, Maja burst in the door. "Mama Petula!" She screamed, then was surprised to see her with company. "Cousin Kimmy and hello stranger, I am Maja. Beautiful Kim's cousin, may I ask who you are?" She shook Gerald's hand and waited for his reply.

"I'm Gerald, Kim's..."

"Boyfriend?" She asked, but not giving him time to talk.

"Maja Ross! Shut your mouth. He is my partner." Kim explained, smiling sweetly at her cousin. "How have you been?" Gerald looked at them, seeing their close relationship.

They ate dinner while sharing stories and the three catching up while Gerald listened in. Occasionally, Maja would tease Kim about her nonexistent lovelife and being too focused with NBI. He quietly sat there and smiled, answering questions when he is asked and sharing his opinions when necessary.

 

"Kim, I'll go outside for a bit." He excused himself when his phone rang. Not bothering to check who was calling, he answered. "This is Gerald, may I know who's calling?" He sat at the gazebo on Kim's backyard.

"Gerald, it's me Lorin. I'm right outside your house."

*****

Kim checked on Gerald outside after a few minutes when he still wasn't back. She saw the troubled expression in his eyes and his eyebrows furrowed. "Hey, you don't look so good."

"Yeah, well... I got an unexpected call. Don't worry." He replied.

"Are you sure?" Kim asked to make sure he was fine.

He nodded, "I like your family." He commented. "They're cool. Especially your grandma."

She smiled, "That's just the two of them, you haven't met the rest." Her smiled turned into a frown as she remembered something. "Hey, don't you wanna come in?"

"I kinda like it here. I love the fresh air, you can hang out with your family, I just don't want to go home yet." He said truthfully.

"That's not the reason, Andy. Come on, you can tell me anything. I told you a big secret even they don't know." She said as she looked at Maja and Mama Pet dancing in the kitchen.

"Well... okay." He looked at her, "Remember how I was in the Military?"

"Yes, I do. Go on I won't interrupt." She placed her hand under her chin while her elbow rested on her leg.

"I met this girl Lorin at one of the places I was stationed, we started going out... until I found out she was cheating on me with another guy from the military. Now she gives me a call saying she's in front of my house. Crazy huh?"

"Maybe, she wants to apologize, to have a closure perhaps." Kim replied.

"No. Based on her tone with matching sobs, she wants to get back with me. She said she found Julio, the guy she cheated on me with, in bed with another girl." He smirked. "Karma is a !"

Kim and Gerald looked at each other and laughed. "Look. Just come and see her but make it clear that you won't take her back." She suggested.

"You think it would work?"

"Maybe. It won't hurt to try, won't it."

"I guess you're right. I'll tell you what happens tomorrow." He said as he stood up. "I'll say goodbye to your family and leave." Gerald left, reminding Kim her car will be in the parking lot the next morning.

 

Kim received a message on her phone before she went to sleep. "You will never catch me." Worried, she texted Steve right away. She was scared that night, wanting to know how that person got her number or if it was just a prank. He assured her they would trace the number right away, but she was not able to sleep peacefully that night with the thought in her head.

 

Sorry for the late update. I had to run errands and do stuff around the house. I kinda had troubles writing this chap, hope its okay. I'll try to work on the next one tomorrow and school resumes on Monday.