Start of Something New

Mission: Possible

Steve was quite surprised with what he heard and asked Kim to repeat it for a second time. "I can't believe it. Kimberly Chiu is quitting NBI. Is it too much to ask what made you do something so... so drastic?"

Kim laughed, "Well, I think it's about time that I pursue my first passion. I've done so much for NBI and after what happened, the thrill suddenly vanished and because of other things that happened in my life. I think I just want to be able to teach. Do you think I'm doing the right thing Tito Steve?"

"As long as there's nothing in your mind where you're doubting yourself, then it is the right thing. Your happiness should matter and if you think that teacher will lead to your happiness and so be it, go back to school and teach." He paused for a moment, "You haven't told Gerald, have you?"

"Well, about that..."

 

Gerald was happy to see Kim back in the office. "And I see the princess has returned from her vacation." He grabbed her hand and kissed it. the gesture did not go unnoticed by their nosy co-workers who were "busy" in their cubicles. Kim felt her face flush.

They went outside to have a private conversation. "Thank you for bringing something for Maja and Mama Pet. I appreciate it." Kim said, "I also told Tito Steve about my decision earlier. He was shocked, but he's really happy for me."

They leaned against the wall of the parking lot. "So, you've decided to quit, huh?"

"Well, yes... but, how?" Kim wondered how he knew without telling him. "I've only told Tito Steve."

Gerald touched his stomach and tapped it a few times, "My gut told me. Plus, there's something different about you too. Your mood seems a lot lighter, I don't mean that as a bad way."

"I talked to my dad when I was in Cebu. And I also decided to go back to school." The next thing Kim knew, Gerald picked her up and spun her multiple times until they both became dizzy and couldn't contain their laughters. "I can't tell if you're happy for me or not." She said sarcastically and smiled at him.

He looked at her seriously and said, "I'll show you that I'm happy for you." He leaned in for a kiss and pinned Kim against the wall. Her hands were all over his hair and she held on to his back. The kiss got deeper, both of them letting out a moan. Gerald pulled away to get some air, but then continued with what he started and then gave Kim light kisses on her lips and all over her face.

He grinned at her while Kim bit her swollen bottom lip, "I don't think that was enough. I think I should show you again."

They walked hand-in-hand on the way back to the office. The news of Kim quitting spread quickly like wildfire. Everyone was sad, but they were understanding and happy that she was following her dreams. They teased Kim and Gerald for being more affectionate towards each other and how they were both glowing. "Maybe something has finally transpired between these two." Dela Cruz teased.

The pair looked at each other and said, "Maybe," at the same time. Even they don't know the real status of their relationship; they just haven't talked about it since Kim came back.

A farewell party was planned for the next day and Kim started cleaning out her table, feeling a little nostalgic. Steve stood by her, watching her get a little emotional. "I'm glad to be given a chance to work with someone as great and as brave of a woman like you Ms. Kim Chiu. You are truly one of a kind. From the day I met you, I know you'll do wonders. I'm certain you'd continue your greatness outside of this office. I have faith in you."

"I'm touched." She hugged him, "Thanks for being there treating me like a daughter Tito. I hope you won't mind that I'll bug you once in a while and ask for help. Working with you was great and I'll always keep the good memories."

"Anything for you."

 

Gerald helped Kim place her things in her car. He volunteered to put some in his car and drop it off at her house in exchange for dinner and she agreed, leaving her car home and riding with Gerald. What she didn't know is that he set up a surprise for her in a nearby restaurant.

There was wine placed in an ice-filled bucket and a boquet of white roses was on the table. He had Kim put a blindfold before going down the car and guided her carefully inside. "Just one more step. I'll take your blindfold off, but you have to promise not to peek yet."

"Okay, I promise." He slowly undid the know in the back of her head. Kim was excited to see what it was.

"Now, open."

The sight surprised her and her heart leapt for joy. The place had candles all over the place and there was a spectacular view of the nightsky. She gaped at everything and looked back at Gerald a few moments later. "Oh my gosh! You did all these? For me?"

He nodded, "Well, I had some help too."

Dinner was great and before they left, Gerald had Kim wait in the car while he pulled something in the back of his car. He jumped in the driver's seat, smiling at her. "Kim... I'd like to make things with you official, but if you're not ready yet, I'm willing to wait." He pulled out a necklace from his pocket. "This is for you."

Her jaw dropped. "Gerald, thank you. You've been nothing but helpful to me and you stayed by my side." She paused, "During my stay in Cebu, I realized something. I realized that I should take the risk and be with you; it might not always be good and we might hurt each other, but in the end if we're meant to be then we're going to stay together."

He was shocked and asked her to repeat what she said. "You're saying yes?"

"Yes." She nodded.

 

After a few days, Kim went back to school. She doesn't need to take all four years because she only needed to take some classes in order to get her credits to be a teacher. She only needs two years to complete everything. gerald volunteered to drop her off on her first day. "Good luck." He said as he opened the door for her.

She sat in the car, hesitant. "I'm a little rusty at this. I haven't been to school in a while and the last time I've stepped foot in a school was when I graduated. And I'm a lot older than everyone."

"Of course, you'll be rusty." Kim pouted, she needed Gerald to comfort her, not bring her down. "No, no, let me finish." He smiled and pinched her nose. "Yes, you might be a little bad at first, but then once you get used to it again I'm certain that you'll be a great student. Also, you look younger than the others, you have nothing to worry about." He kissed her on the cheeks and helped her down his car.

"Thanks, baby." She hugged him. "I better get going I don't want to be late for my first class." He smiled and waved her off.

It took Kim a few minutes to walk to her building and she was surprised to see an old friend in the class. Not as a student, but the teacher. "Kim?" Asked the surprised Amalia.

"Lia! Oh my gosh! It is you! This is great! How have you been?"

"Well, I started teaching here a couple of years ago. I thought you were with NBI." Kim informed her of her decision to quit and live her dream as a teacher. "We better catch up, give me your number after class."

Kim went to find a seat in front of the class and took notes.

The whole day, she got busy meeting a lot of new people and getting to know her professors. Her energy was drained walking from one building to another and climbing up and down the stairs. Kim and Gerald met up for lunch at the small carenderia. The NBI office was really close to Kim's school so she did not refuse when he said that they should meet up. Kim shared her experience and told him about her old friend turning out to be her professor. After eating with Gerald, she felt refreshed and she was ready to start again. She only had two classes left and she was excited to go home.

"Baby, don't think about me too much." Gerald teased before they parted ways. "You might lose focus."

"I didn't think about you all day. Not even once. I almost forgot that I had a boyfriend." She teased back, poking him in the rib. "Bye baby."

 

Kim knew this will be a new experience for her. After an end, there's always a new beginning, in her case after quitting NBI, she is starting a new career. Aside from that, she also started a relationship with Gerald. "This should be very interersting." She thought.