Meeting the Old Man

Mission: Possible

Kim survived her first semester. She was too busy reviewing for all the tests on the last three weeks of school and finally, the first break came. It was the first time that she'd opened her e-mail after starting school, finding a lot of junk mails. One particular e-mail caught her attention. It was from her father. Dated a few days ago.

Kim,

I'm sorry I just e-mailed you and I haven't called you. I am just really busy now and I know you are too. I just want to let you know that I'm going to be in Manila with your Tita Helen and Jake on Sunday.

We might stay for a week and I want to know if you're not too busy, if you'd like to come see us. Just call me.

Love, Dad

Kim looked at her calendar and it's already Tuesday. She called her dad shortly after reading the e-mail and informed where they can meet. It has been a few months since she's been back. she wanted to see him and she also wanted to introduce Gerald to him. Gerald took two weeks off to be with Kim on her semester break. She called him to pick her up at home. Their relationship has been going strong each and every day though they argue sometimes. It was a normal couple's relationship.

 

Once Gerald arrived, she hopped on to his car and told him that they're going to meet her dad. "Hey, why did you get quiet all of a sudden?"

"I'm nervous. I'm meeting your dad."

Kim smiled, "Don't worry I think he'll like you."

As they walked in the restaurant, a bright-faced toddler greeted them. "Ate Kim!" Jake hugged Kim, who tugged at her skirt and whispered. "Who is that tall guy?"

She carried Jake in her arms. "Oh my, you're heavy. This tall guy is Kuya Gerald. Say hi to kuya."

Gerald saw how good Kim is with little kids and knew why she wanted to be a pre-school teacher. He smiled at Kim and then at Jake, "Do you want Kuya to carry you on his shoulders? I think Ate Kim is tired."

"Sure!" He exclaimed and pointed the table where they were sitting.

Greg and Helen stood up to greet Kim and the stranger she bought along with her, who was carrying Jake around. Greg apologized, "I'm sorry he can be so demanding and tiring. Let me get him."

Jake was laughing and Gerald slowly brought him down on the floor. "It's okay, sir."

"Dad, this is Gerald my boyfriend. Gerald this is my dad and this is his wife, Helen."

Greg put his protective arms around his daughter, "Well, this is a good time for me to investigate. Don't you think Kimmy?"

"Dad!" She screamed with flushing face. Kim and Gerald sat opposite Helen and Greg while Jake requested to sit in between them. "Jake seems to like me and Gerald a lot. I think I want to baby sit him for two weeks."

Her dad looked worried, "But didn't you say before you lived with your grandma? She might get mad at you."

"No, she left when she found out that I quit NBI and I assured her that I'll be fine by myself. Besides, I think it will be good that Jake would stay with me, while I'm on my vacation. I started going back to school again... to be a teacher." She informed him when she saw the quizzical look on his face.

"That's really good then. You've always wanted to be a teacher when you were younger. Even though you changed your mind a lot, you'd go back to saying you're gonna be a teacher one day. I'm proud of you, you've reached success even without me." He knew he was getting too far from the subject. "So, are you really sure that you'd be able to handle that little energy ball? He's a handful."

"Yeah. As long as it's okay with Helen too." She looked at Helen, "Is it? I just want him to know me as his sister."

Helen smiled, "Of course, I know you'll take good care of him. Right, Gerald?"

He nodded. "Kim is very good with kids."

Greg gave Gerald an inquiring look, "How about you Gerald, do you want kids?"

"Definitely, sir. I want a lot of kids, but maybe in a couple of years once I'm settled." He answered and looked at Kim after. Imagining having kids with her, but Jake interrupted his thoughts as he pulled on his baseball cap and aviators. He adjusted the hat to fit Jake and put the glasses on his face and their table errupted in laughter.

"What do you do for a living, son?" He inquired.

"Well, sir... I became a soldier and then now I'm with the NBI. I'm also planning to start a little business, so if I ever get tired of NBI, I have something."

He smiled. "Oh that's very nice of you then, to serve our country."

 

After having a peaceful lunch, they walked to the nearby park to get a little bit  of fresh air. The father and daughter hand a nice, normal conversation while eating. They all had a great time, catching up and getting to know one another.

Kim and Gerald held hands as they walked behind Greg and his family. Gerald noticed Kim walked slower and slower. He looked at her and saw a glimmer of sadness in her eyes. "Baby, is everything okay?"

"I'm fine." She shrugged, but a tear managed to escape her eye. "I just miss having moments like this. I miss my mom and my sister."

He kissed her on the forehead and comforted her. They stood together for a moment, Gerald letting Kim's tears subside. "Everything will be fine. I will never leave you."

 

"When are you guys coming back to Cebu?" Kim asked. They were now standing outside of the restaurant. Jake was clinging on to Gerald's neck not wanting to let him go.

"Tomorrow." Greg replied, "I'll just come back in two weeks to pick up Jake, so I can see you again and also bring some of your favorites."

"Okay. Don't worry about Jake's things, I'll just go buy him some clothes and maybe some toys too so he can have some stuff at the house when you guys decide to visit Manila again. Thanks Helen." Kim kissed her on the cheek and so did Gerald.

"It was nice meeting you, sir." Gerald extended his hand to Greg.

Greg whispered something in Gerald's ear in return and he smiled. "Okay, bye Jacob. Be good to Ate Kim, okay?" The little boy smiled and nodded.

Kim looked at Gerald, curious of what her father whispered.

 

A few moments later, they were driving off to the mall, with Kim in the passenger seat and Jake on her lap, already asleep.

"Hey baby, what did my dad ask you?" She finally asked.

He was grinning from ear-to-ear. "Well, he said that he likes me."

"See, I told you he'll like you. You were great earlier. I think he was shocked. Your the only boy that I brought for him to meet, the others are just my friends. What else did he say?" She smiled.

"That I should take care of his princess..." He paused. "Hey, what about those other guys?"

"What do you mean other guys?"

He looked at her. "Your friends or boy friends."

"What?" She laughed. "You mean like Marlo, who turned Marla?"

"No, how come you didn't introduce him to any of your ex-boyfriends? And why me?" He asked.

"Well, I didn't have a lot of boyfriends. I had a few, but I did have a lot of guys asking me out. I just ignored them. It was all in high school and nothing was really serious back then." She explained. "Well, except this one guy who was really serious with me, but I didn't even see him as a boyfriend material. He was more of like a best-guy-friend."

"So you're serious with me?" His smile just got bigger, "And who is this guy?"

"Maybe." She paused and looked at his pouting face. "That guy? Oh, forget it. That was a long time ago. I never liked him at all. Plus, I heard from Mel he has a girlfriend or something. He doesn't matter." She assured him.

 

After walking around the mall for hours and looking for what Jake needed in the two weeks, they stepped up to the counter. They stood in line and once it was their turn, Kim held Jake's hand while Gerald placed everything they picked out on the table. Kim searched her purse for her wallet, but before she had time to take it out, Gerald had already paid.

As they walked outside the store, she asked, "Hey, why did you do that? I was supposed to pay. That was a lot."

"It's fine, baby. I work so I can get all that back, but you need to use your money for school." They both held Jake's hand and looked like a picture perfect family.

"Thanks baby." She said, giving him a quick smack.

Gerald hurried to put the things in the car while Kim and Jake waited for him in the play area. He walked back and saw an ice cream store and decided to buy some. He could see Kim playing with her brother, making him smile.

Kim felt extremely lucky to be with someone like Gerald. "Ate, look! Kuya!" She looked at the direction Jake was pointing at and saw Gerald holding three ice cream cones.

"Chocolate for you," he handed Jake his cone, "strawberry for my baby, and vanilla for me." They sat and ate together, while they watched Jake eat his ice cream. Once in a while, there would be ice cream on his face and Gerald would wipe it off for him. Kim found the gesture really sweet. She found out that she is not the only one good with kids, but also Gerald. She knows he's going to make a good father someday.

"Baby, there's some ice cream on your nose." She told Gerald.

He seemed clueless. "Huh? Where?" Kim took her cone and put it on Gerald's nose.

"There!" She giggled with her brother.

"You!" He exclaimed and wiped it off. "We should be going soon, don't you think? Jake are you sleepy?"

He yawned. "Yes."

 

Once they got inside, a thunder was heard and it started to pour. "Kim, I think I should go home soon, before the water gets higher and flood." Gerald looked outside the window.

Kim stood by him, carrying Jake and looked out the window. "No, just stay. It's not like you need to work tomorrow. It's dangerous. You can sleep in one of the extra rooms. I think I have some clothes that my cousin sent from the States. He's your size."

Jake hugged Kim tightly, "I'm scared, Ate Kim." He closed his eyes and covered them with his little hands.

Gerald comforted Jake. He took him from Kim's arms and kissed him on the forehead. "It's okay little man. There's nothing to be scared of."

Meanwhile, Kim grabbed the clothes she found in the guest room. "I just washed that a couple of days ago. I didn't know who to give it to. It looks like it would fit you. Go change in the bathroom." He came out wearing the yellow crew cut shirt and a black basketball shorts.

They all went upstairs after Gerald checked if everything was locked. Kim guided him into the room across from the Master's Bedroom. "Goodnight, baby. Sweet dreams."

Gerald kissed her on the lips. "Now, it is a good night." He smiled naughtily. "Goodnight, Jake."

Kim and Jake walked to their bedroom and Jake climbed up the bed. She layed beside him and hugged him to help him fall asleep, but he kept on wriggling around the bed. "What's wrong, Jake?"

"When I sleep, I sleep between mommy and daddy. And right now, there's only Ate Kim. Can Kuya Gerald sleep next to me?" He asked her.

Kim did not know what to answer, "Well, why don't we go and you ask him?"

They walked to the guest room and Kim knocked on the door. Gerald opened it, "Hey, baby what is it?"

Kim looked hesitantly at Gerald, then her brother. "Well, Jake wants to ask you something."

Gerald raised his eyebrow. "Kuya, can I sleep between you and Ate Kim? I can't sleep."

"Sure." He replied.

He then whispered to Kim, "If you wanted to sleep next to me, you didn't have to ask him to ask me." He winked at Kim. Gerald picked up the sleepy Jake as he held Kim's hand and walked to her room. He placed Jake gently on the bed and Kim turned the light off, only leaving a night light. Jake fell asleep immediately, but Kim and Gerald remained awake looking at each other. Whispering sweet nothings. Kim hugged Jake close to her and Gerald put his arm around them.

"Goodnight baby." He smiled and planted a sweet kiss on her forehead. "I love you."

Kim mouthed the words and sent him a flying kiss before they both succumbed in a deep sleep.