The Heroine

Mission: Possible

Today will be a little different. Kim and Gerald will have to go and be undercovers for their new mission. They are supposed to act as an engaged couple looking for a place that will cater their flower needs for their upcoming wedding. Kim came out wearing a floral dress and her hair was simple and straight flowing freely on her shoulders and high heels that matched her elegant attire. "Looking good, Chewy."

"You're not looking bad yourself, Andy." Gerald had his aviators on again; he was wearing jeans and a light green plaid shirt. "Are you ready?" Kim asked.

"Very ready. It's simple, we only have to pretend we're engaged, no guns involved. How can they hurt us with flowers?" She smiled at him and agreed.

They got to the headquarters and had a short briefing on what they should do. The modus operandi of the gang is to start a flower shop and import drugs with the flowers. 

Kim and Gerald are trying to tap the flower shop they were told was a distributor of drugs. After days of studying the case and getting enough information they needed, they have to get more proof to catch them, which is why they needed to get the case done as soon as possible. They need to stop the operations and try to save the innocent people from being used to smuggle drugs.

Once they leave the door they are Jasmine Lim and Travis Garcia, an engaged couple deeply in love.

"Good morning, how can I help you?" An old lady about sixty asked them.

"Well," Kim said taking Gerald's arm. "we're looking for the flower shop that can cater our needs for our upcoming wedding." She looked at Gerald waiting for his turn. It was their first time together to go undercover together. She couldn't tell if he was nervous or not.

"Yes, like what my fiancée said," He looked at her sweetly, she smiled sensing his confidence. "we need flowers. A lot of them. I just want what she wants. I want her to be really, really happy on our special day."

The old lady smiled, she seemed to be genuinely happy for them. "I will do anything to make that day special."

 

As they were going over the detail for their pseudo-wedding, one guy came in, his arms filled with tattoos. He didn't go with the place, tranquil and peaceful while his appearance yelled trouble. "Hey, grandma. I delivered the flowers. I'll go to the back and set the others too, okay?"

His voice was scary, deep and hoarse. "Mrs. Sanchez, do you mind if I use the restroom? I just need to re-touch my make-up."

"That's fine, honey. Turn to the right and go straight. You know what, why don't you show the young lady the way Hugo. Come on, son."

"Jasmine, do you want me to go with you?"

"Sure, hon." He followed closely trough the narrow hallway that led to a dark restroom and another door. "Thanks." Hugo walked away without saying a word. "How rude." Kim whispered to Gerald.

"Okay, hon. I'll be out here." Gerald said, seeing Hugo standing by, a few feet away.

Meanwhile, Kim was setting microphones inside the restroom to record any sound that will be important for the case. After a few minutes, she heard Gerald's warning. "Hon, hurry up. We have a lunch reservation to catch." She came out in a second, done with her job.

Once they were outside and got into the car, Kim asked. "Did you get yours done?"

"Of course." He smirked. "I am the best." He pulled the door open, once they reached the restaurant. "How was yours?"

"It was nicely done, like always. Don't ever doubt your partner even for a second, Andy." They were led to a private area where no one could overhear their conversation or see them.

They were able to tap the whole place in less than twenty minutes. Gerald sticking a microphone under the desk and inside the telephone without the knowledge of the old lady while he pretended to be on the phone with his brother while Kim diverted the old lady's attention.

"Never, Chewy, never. Oh, did you think the old lady has anything to do with the crime? She seemed harmless."

"I don't think so... but Hugo, he seems suspicious. Did you see the way that he stared at us? I think he smelled something fishy. I just have a hunch. Poor Mrs. Sanchez, but if she is involved, I kind of pity her grandson for being led to the wrong side."

Silence took over and no one said anything for a while.

As they got comfortable and looked over the menu, Gerald asked Kim a question. "So, tell me. What made you go do this? What we do now?"

"Mostly because I want to give justice to people who deserve it." Kim answered, but Gerald knew that was not the end of it. He knew not to ask anymore, knowing she would reveal it if she wanted to. "How about you?"

"Well, when I heard from Tito Steve that a spot was opened I asked him about it. You know about me being a soldier before..." Kim nodded. "Well, I was injured and I had to pick from quitting and staying, but risking my life. So, I made the decision to go into NBI."

Kim raised an eyebrow. "And we don't risk our lives everyday huh? Did you think NBI was that easy?"

Gerald laughed, "Actually, no offense, but yes. I didn't have to deal with the Abu Sayyafs everyday, but I still have to risk my life. My mom was the major part of my decision. She didn't even want me to join NBI, knowing Tito Steve. He helped me convince her though. Plus, I needed to support myself. I didn't want to depend on my parents forever."

"Good answer." Kim smiled. "So what was the injury?"

Gerald pulled his shirt collar down a bit, his left chest showing. A scar was evident near his heart. "I was so close from dying. Someone shot me from the back and the bullet went through. It was so close to my heart, they didn't think it would be possible for me to live."

"Unbelievable."

"Shocked, eh? Have you ever had any near death experiences? You've been in this job for what, three years? You must be really good and very lucky not to have had a close call."

Kim nodded her head, "Well, once."

"What happened?" Gerald asked, curious of the details. Their food arrived shortly, before Kim could even begin the story. Once the server left, she began.

"Well, I was still new in NBI and we had to go and search a building for suspicious people that they reported. It was still awkward to be in those situations, especially being the only girl there." Gerald listened very eagerly as Kim told her story in between bites. "It was an elite elementary school, only the sons and daughters of the wealthiest businessmen and woman can go. The suspicious people left before we got there but what we didn't know, what we weren't told, was that two of them were left there. As I check the classrooms, they all seemed fine and going about their business."

"I was relieved and I didn't bother to check the last room. I was daydreaming, about becoming a teacher then suddenly someone came from behind and locked me in a room with a bunch of little kids. Incidentally, it was the room I didn't bother checking."

"Who was with you during that time?" Gerald asked.

"Well my partner was, but then I insisted that to make the task easier, we should part ways. But yeah, that's pretty much it."

"No way. You didn't finish telling the whole thing! How did you survive? All that good stuff." Gerald complained, wanting to hear the whole thing. "Come on!"

Convinced by his pleading, she decided to tell him everything. "Okay. It's not as interesting as you think it is though..."

"So, the little kids were obviously crying. I felt bad, really bad even though I knew that most of them were probably spoiled brats knowing how rich they are. I almost panicked, but good thing I didn't. I saw them point a gun at one of the kids, she wasn't crying unlike the other kids. Something inside me figured that she was the target. I ran in front of her, it was the perfect timing too. She would have been shot right in the head. I was wearing my bulletproof vest, but they fired two shots and the other one hit my leg. The other hit the vest, right on my stomach. It didn't go through but the impact made me feel like I had a really bad stomach ache and I only felt it after a while, after I evacuated the little kids in a safer place."

"You saved a little girl's life and also the others in the room. That's really amazing. You weren't afraid to put yourself in danger. Did the family ever thank you for saving their daughter?"

"Oh, you bet. I just didn't want to accept what they were offering me. I couldn't accept it." Kim said in disgust.

"What were they offering you?"

"All the luxuries in life you could ever think of. I didn't want charity, I didn't want welfare. I was doing the right thing. I was just doing my job. I don't believe someone has to get rewarded for doing what they're supposed to do." She paused, "Do you think the politicians should get paid more for sitting in office and being corrupt?" Gerald shook his head, "I didn't think so either, so why give me something when I'm doing what I am supposed to do?"

"Great point. What did the family do?"

"They just said that if I ever change my mind and need anything, just go to them and they can help me."

"Again, amazing."

"You would do the same thing too though, right? If you were in my situation..."

"Of course."

"Well, what's so amazing about that? Plus, you served the country and got injured while doing so, I think that's even a greater achievement and you should be proud of it."

Gerald smiled, "Well, I am proud." He paused, "About the family helping and you not accepting, did that have to do anything with pride? I mean you could've at least asked for one thing." He teased.

"Maybe, maybe not." Kim smiled. "It's not that big of a deal anyways."

"Well, maybe not for you. For that family and for me, it is." He concluded as silence enveloped the whole room again. Kim just smiled, as she continued to eat her lunch.